riddler

Bush says bible probably not literally true

--My original question was this - if only parts of the Bible are true (which has been stated by Bush, and I think by you), and everyone gets to decide for themselves which parts are true, doesn't that undermine the credibility of the entire religion? A religion which bases it's entire foundation on this supposedly historical book that seems to change a lot?

For me the credibility of the Bible remains intact. As a young believer the Bible was overwhelming and contradictory. Initially some of the information was immediately usable, other passages were just bizarre. Over time, more and more of the strange passages have started to fit into a big picture. I see the Bible laryered like an onion, I peal off the parts I can use now and leave the parts that l can't for further study and meditation. I will be the first to admit there are some parts of the Bible that I will probably never get any benefit from.

I wonder what he did to make people hate an entire religion?

It is not him of course. It is the reaction some people experience when the evil they harbor and cherish is exposed by the Truth.

That's me to a tee! I harbor and cherish evil.

EEEE-vil!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I see the Bible laryered like an onion, I peal off the parts I can use now and leave the parts that l can't for further study and meditation. I will be the first to admit there are some parts of the Bible that I will probably never get any benefit from.

I am totally the same way with the dictionary!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

>That's me to a tee! I harbor and cherish evil.

Yep, I run in to people like you from time to time. When the evil and ignorance they harbor is exposed to my Truth they become agitated and angry. Happens a lot when I've been drinking, for some reason.

I have no doubt that will change again and possibly soon. I agree both are wrong! I really feel there is a strong hate towards Christianity these days and it may be because I am a Christian. All I know is that no one deserves the ignorant hate that is spewed in our world.

I don't think it is hate. Maybe a few are that way, but they are a minority. I think it is more that the number of people that do not regularly practice religion has hit a critical mass. Despite pockets of resistance, I sense a growing revulsion against Neolithic beliefs and oogie-boogie supernatural stuff in general. I believe the last I saw was that fewer than 50% of Americans actually practice religion, and about a quarter do not believe in any kind of diety whatsoever.

We have reached a point where questioning religion in general, and especially organized religion (which has become not much more than just another political party) can be carried out loudly and in the open without getting all that much attention. It was only a century ago (a blink of an eye in historical terms) that such behavior could get you seriously shunned.

If it feels to you like hate at times, imagine what an atheist who spoke openly felt like just 100 years ago. I think over the long-term religion's influence will continue to wain, with only a few pockets of fanatical (and ironically very violent) factions living with organized religion as the central theme in their lives. Spritiuality will continue, but religion as a central theme controlling behavior is fading fast (again, from a historical perspective).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I think eventualy sprituality will wane also. I don't understand people's need for a supernatural explaination.

A spiritual person doesn't necessarily require any "supernatural explanation" -- It's a quest, not a conclusion, and it is in Man's deepest desires to ask the big questions.

How is it possible to think that it will wane and not grow?

. . =(_8^(1)

I don't understand people's need for a supernatural explaination.

I think people need explanations for things they don't understand or can't cope with. Our egos want us to believe that we have control over things. Understanding is the biggest step to control.

But our tiny brains will never understand everything in the Universe, and we don't have control over most things in life. Fabricating ideas, in order to feel some control, to satisfy our ego, is the solution that requires the least effort.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

For me the credibility of the Bible remains intact. As a young believer the Bible was overwhelming and contradictory. Initially some of the information was immediately usable, other passages were just bizarre. Over time, more and more of the strange passages have started to fit into a big picture. I see the Bible laryered like an onion, I peal off the parts I can use now and leave the parts that l can't for further study and meditation. I will be the first to admit there are some parts of the Bible that I will probably never get any benefit from.

Do you agree with Bush or not? Is the Bible 100% true, or not?

I see the Bible laryered like an onion, I peal off the parts I can use now and leave the parts that l can't for further study and meditation. I will be the first to admit there are some parts of the Bible that I will probably never get any benefit from.

Can't you see he's not talking about truth? He's talking about whether or not it's useful to him. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

My original question was this - if only parts of the Bible are true (which has been stated by Bush, and I think by you), and everyone gets to decide for themselves which parts are true, doesn't that undermine the credibility of the entire religion? A religion which bases it's entire foundation on this supposedly historical book that seems to change a lot?

No... I think it is all true but you cannot defend faith with fact otherwise it would not be faith! I am just stating that the historical events in the Bible cannot be ignored as many of them have been proven true. Again, I believe it is all true.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Look it up in a dictionary. Yours must be different then mine.

Spirtualism is belief in supernatural.

Your definition is nothing more than the lowest common denominator, but there's a lot of facets on that diamond.

How about those who don't rule out things "supernatural", but also have no particular religion or other contrived set of beliefs. Should they wane out too, so we can all become unencumbered "meat that thinks"?

. . =(_8^(1)

Can't you see he's not talking about truth? He's talking about whether or not it's useful to him.

What he said was this

For me the credibility of the Bible remains intact.

Which is why I asked this

There's a difference between credible and 100% true.

Is your church anything like THIS ONE? > Today. Drudge JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A divorced Jacksonville woman said her former church has threatened to "go public with her sins" and tell the congregation about her sexual relationship with her new boyfriend.

Um..... no! This is what I am talking about. Muslim does not = terrorist and Christian does not = this craziness!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

you cannot defend faith with fact otherwise it would not be faith!

In that case, I will faithfully believe that your last post was an endorsement of atheism. And even though history may prove me wrong, that's ok, because I don't have to back up my faith with facts. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

There are passages that I question. I place these in one of two categories. Either the truth contained eludes me or they were introduced erroneously in the transcription/compilation process. So to answer your question, I consider both possibilities. In my experience little is ever black or white.

>Isn't the end of the US or was it the world supposed to happen before he
>gets out of office?

His most recent update:

==========================
Some time ago, I interpreted some biblical prophecies that spoke clearly of the end of the USA, ( NOT the end of the world as some thought), and I mentioned it would take place before the end of Bush's 2nd term.

Well, a continuance of research causes me to believe it will not be before the end of Bush's 2nd term, but shortly after his successor is elected to the President's
office, ......sometime before September of 2009.

This will be the 62nd WEEK ( of years) of Daniel's prophecy, and either shortly before or shortly after New York City and Washington are wiped off the map, a very large asteroid will hit in mid Atlantic, causing enormous problems to the east coast of North America and the west coast of Europe.

I just thought I would bring everyone interested up to date.

Nevertheless, you won't have to wait too long....it IS going to take place.....just a few extra months to enjoy yourselves while you can.....maybe a few extra jumps !
===========================

So now we have another year before the asteroid hits and the US collapses.

Well the orginal prediction is wrong. New York and Washington are still standing. Now we just have to wait till September. Unless Chuteless revises his statement again.

Well the orginal prediction is wrong. New York and Washington are still standing. Now we just have to wait till September. Unless Chuteless revises his statement again.

Rats. I thought we might all get out of spring cleaning this year, what with the end of the world and all.

Now we have to tidy up to get ready for the fall demolition of the world or the USA, or humankind or whatever the wacko target of choice is this season.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

>Isn't the end of the US or was it the world supposed to happen before he
>gets out of office?

His most recent update:

==========================
Some time ago, I interpreted some biblical prophecies that spoke clearly of the end of the USA, ( NOT the end of the world as some thought), and I mentioned it would take place before the end of Bush's 2nd term.

Well, a continuance of research causes me to believe it will not be before the end of Bush's 2nd term, but shortly after his successor is elected to the President's
office, ......sometime before September of 2009.

This will be the 62nd WEEK ( of years) of Daniel's prophecy, and either shortly before or shortly after New York City and Washington are wiped off the map, a very large asteroid will hit in mid Atlantic, causing enormous problems to the east coast of North America and the west coast of Europe.

I just thought I would bring everyone interested up to date.

Nevertheless, you won't have to wait too long....it IS going to take place.....just a few extra months to enjoy yourselves while you can.....maybe a few extra jumps !
===========================

So now we have another year before the asteroid hits and the US collapses.

He is wrong anyway. The Mayans stated long ago that the world will end in August 2012. We have almost enough time for another election.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"