mnealtx

Just on CNN - Blagojevich arrested?

See the full story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/ap_on_re_us/blagojevich_corruption_probe

I can't believe it. A DEMOCRAT did something wrong? Please explain this away, Quade.

this is the second democrat in a few months that ran on a platform of "elect me i am not corrupt like my predicesor" seems to me both sides are corrupt. .

Well, he may not be as corrupt as his predecessor. That still remains to be seen.

I wonder if this will have any effect on the appeal to Bush for clemency for the predecessor (George Ryan, currently a guest at Club Fed).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

See the full story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/ap_on_re_us/blagojevich_corruption_probe

I can't believe it. A DEMOCRAT did something wrong? Please explain this away, Quade.

this is the second democrat in a few months that ran on a platform of "elect me i am not corrupt like my predicesor" seems to me both sides are corrupt. .

Well, he may not be as corrupt as his predecessor. That still remains to be seen.

I wonder if this will have any effect on the appeal to Bush for clemency for the predecessor (George Ryan, currently a guest at Club Fed).

a few drivers licences compared to "pay me to get a state contract or senate seat" don't get me wrong, both are bad and Ryan's deal did cost some people their lives, but Blagojevich's may have cost some companies and their employees millions of dollars and or their jobs. selling a senate seat is putting coruption in congress. these 2 seam to be worse to me as far as the scope of what possibly did or could have happened.

as far as clemancy goes, both should serve all of their sentences to completion.

a few drivers licences compared to "pay me to get a state contract or senate seat" don't get me wrong, both are bad and Ryan's deal did cost some people their lives, but Blagojevich's may have cost some companies and their employees millions of dollars and or their jobs. selling a senate seat is putting coruption in congress. these 2 seam to be worse to me as far as the scope of what possibly did or could have happened.

as far as clemancy goes, both should serve all of their sentences to completion.

Indeed! What's a few lives when some money is at stake?

Agreed that they should serve out their terms (if Blago is convicted, of course). I fail to see why pols (and their buddies) should get a break that other crooks don't get.

Indeed! What's a few lives when some money is at stake?

Agreed that they should serve out their terms (if Blago is convicted, of course). I fail to see why pols (and their buddies) should get a break that other crooks don't get.

I don't discount the imortance of a life, I feel it was a trajedy that happened from Ryan's scandel, but I feel the greater good of the country is more important in this case. The votes and influence of a crooked senator could have done alot of damage to our country and that could have caused alot more damage if allowed to happen.

I don't discount the imortance of a life, I feel it was a trajedy that happened from Ryan's scandel, but I feel the greater good of the country is more important in this case.

People alive is for the country's greater good.

So when will Chicago enter the 21st century of politics anyway? Willie Brown, the last of this kind in CA, left public office 6 years back, and he hadn't been Speaker of the Assembly for over a decade. But Illinois keeps churning out new versions, and rarely do they even pretend to be anything else.

"LOL, all you will get is the standard response of all the bad things Bush or some other Rep. did "

"Exactly. We all know republicans don't pal around with bad people."

BILL fell for it first (I think) :P

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Illinois poliics is the worst in our nation. It does not matter if they are Dems or Repubs they all are corrupt here. This state is the poster child for the need for third party politics but I would not expect them to fair much better in the long run.

And guess whose new chief of staff is mentioned in the indictment...
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Illinois poliics is the worst in our nation. It does not matter if they are Dems or Repubs they all are corrupt here. This state is the poster child for the need for third party politics but I would not expect them to fair much better in the long run.

no no no the savior wouldn't have any corrupt people in his administration.(it's not like Obama wasn't brought up through ranks by these people)

Actually, it's the right wingers who defend that picture, since Saddam Hussein was an enemy of our enemy back then, and thus our friend. But add some moral relativism, a bit of forgetfulness about the past, and a pinch of rationalization - and you have right wingers who both support Rumsfeld and condemn Hussein as the baddest of the bad.

Pssst.. butt out Bill..

There was such a fun right wing circle jerk going on.. it was kinda amusing....:ph34r:

I don't discount the imortance of a life, I feel it was a trajedy that happened from Ryan's scandel, but I feel the greater good of the country is more important in this case.

People alive is for the country's greater good.

So when will Chicago enter the 21st century of politics anyway? Willie Brown, the last of this kind in CA, left public office 6 years back, and he hadn't been Speaker of the Assembly for over a decade. But Illinois keeps churning out new versions, and rarely do they even pretend to be anything else.

There's not much else to do around here in the winter. Consider it a kind of spectator sport.

Blago. does seem to take the record for stupidity, though. It's not as though he was unaware that he was under investigation by the feds. I mean, at least he should try to get away with it.

Blago. does seem to take the record for stupidity, though. It's not as though he was unaware that he was under investigation by the feds. I mean, at least he should try to get away with it.

I'd pay him $5 to pull the trigger and appoint himself to the Senate now, before the state legislature can strip him of the power to do so.

He's still governor. Who says pay to play is a bad thing? It'd be hilarious.

edit for syntax
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

no no no the savior wouldn't have any corrupt people in his administration.(it's not like Obama wasn't brought up through ranks by these people)

Actually, it was asked during the press conference this morning if Obama was anyway involved in this and the FBI said no. So, continue on with those thoughts.

For the arm chair folks, let me tell you this is of no surprise. Every day since Obama won there has been talk of how Blago was doing some wrong things with the decision process and the press hounded him every day. Meanwhile Blago has been mad with power telling Bank of America it was going to pull all of the State's business if they didn't re-establish a credit line for a failing local business this past week. Meanwhile Dick Durbin sat down and discussed things with BoA that led to the company getting it's pension restored with partial credit from the bank. Just a few days ago Daley was claiming that Chicago would never see the infrastructure repair dollars if the Fed gave it to the state instead of the city. He was pounding his fist in a frenzy over how Blago would lock up the money in a political power play and didn't care how many workers locally got screwed.

I never voted for Blago but I certainly wanted change from George Ryan and was hoping to get more of Jim Thompson or Jim Ryan back in office. I would have been happy to see Judy Barr Topinka get elected in over Blago.

Why does this happen in IL? Well, alot of it is due to the way the state is laid out. In Northern IL you have a population that leads the nation in living their entire lives here. Therefore family tradition and politics get passed on from generation to generation....as do the government jobs. In Central/Southern IL you have a sparsely populated towns that are fed by farm life and mostly conservative beliefs. It's the perfect storm for politicians to abuse for seats of power here. It won't change anytime soon.

there are some questions I would like to see answered regarding Obama,

1. 2 weeks ago Axelrod stated that Obama was in contact with the gov. regarding who would be taking over his seat. Today Obama says he had never spoken with the gov., who is telling the truth?

2. Why would Blago be so upset with Obama not giving him what he wanted if they had not previously talked about it?

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget

It is funny to me that we ask these questions in amazement that someone somewhere is corrupt. Within politics, who isn’t?

There is no difference to them. They all look out for number one, try to get ahead, get more money, and get more power. If their constituents are hurt along the way; collateral damage. If their constituents are helped along the way, they get to scream look at me, look at me, hands in the air like its good to be alive!!!

It is a time honored tradition dating back further than time can count. Not one of them is looking out for me or my interests or my concerns.

Every single candidate runs on a platform of change, except the ones trying to be re-elected. They get elected because we are pissed off and want to punish the people in charge as if it is there fault for my lot in life. Life long politicians become president now. They are part of the system that we want to change and they feed us the scraps that say they are the ones to lead the revolution. We continue to believe them. That is what I find funny.

Only one looking out for me, is me.

>We all know that doesn't matter, so long as you're a Democrat.

Exactly. We all know republicans don't pal around with bad people.

Right on time...thanks for proving the point.

As were the people spouting off Obama the moment someone from IL was mentioned. Round and round we go.

But lest us not forget that most internet arguments go as such:

Argument Type 1
"A."
"Not A."
"A!"
"Not A!"

Argument Type 2
"A."
"A!"
"A!"
"Fuck you! A, you asshole!"

Argument Type 3
"A."
"Not B."
"WTF? A."
"Not B!"

I don't disagree - but, you have to admit there *is* somewhat of a point, as Obama grew up politically in the 'Chicago Machine'. How much actual EFFECT that could have, only the future can say.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't disagree - but, you have to admit there *is* somewhat of a point, as Obama grew up politically in the 'Chicago Machine'. How much actual EFFECT that could have, only the future can say.

"The Machine" is oldthink. What we have now is "the Combine". See www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass-10-dec10,0,7674669.column

It's funny,
I've heard the comparison of Obama to the Chicago political machine as this:

The piano player in a whore house, he keeps playing his song, not really knowing whats going on upstairs. He certainly has an idea, but chooses to keep on playing........

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Considering that Obama was the one that pushed through the ethic reform bill that had Rob in a panic to snag as much money by Dec 31st? Also, you can read the transcripts of Blago a bit upset that all he was going to get was appreciation from Obama.

There is no doubt that this is a damn dirty state for politics. I think we have averaged at least one politician coming under charges every year dating back to the 70s. There are a few good ones, however, and that conclusion is a large leap to take from step one with nothing else but conjecture to back it up.

Maybe we should just take a page from "The Untouchables" and call it "The Chicago Way". ;)

It sure is fun being an observer in Chicago.

The thing I find surprising isn't that Blago was crooked, it's that he was so brazenly stupid about it.:S