BaronVonBoll

Food stamps

I am Amazed!!!
A report was released today about the number of people collecting foods stamp benefits. 33 million people received foods stamps this month. In principle I agree with the food stamp program. When I became a single parent of three kids years ago I used them. But only for as long as it took me to get it all back together. The problem being the abuse of the system running rampant. At my kids school there are about half of the students on free or reduced lunches. Free for those that are on food stamps. As I walk these halls for school events I have noticed that most if not all the kids have a cell phone, Ipod/mp3, or other "Teen necessary" gadget about their person. Most of them seem to be dressed in designer clothes, (Pathetic as some of those styles are)and expensive shoes. One teacher in economics asked my daughters class how many had cell phones. 30 out of 34. how many of those 30 paid for their cells phone and bills 1.
The point of this rant is that people who are using food stamps should be doing so as a last resort. Not, in an effort to afford the luxuries like cell phones, etc. I even heard on woman (who I know to be on food stamps) complain that she cant afford to pay her energy bill because her daughters cell phone/text bill was $150.00.

I realize times are hard for some people and I am more than willing to help. However, I am appalled with the fact that you and I are paying for people to spend their time texting each other over their inability to pay for their food.

Think I'm exaggerating... go to a welfare office and count the people on their cell phones!!!!

I used to care until we started giving welfare to people on Wall Street who made millions last year.

Right now, if you make less than $100K a year, then I'm happy
for anything that the govt gives you.

When we bailed out AIG, they were still talking about paying
bonuses out of a bonus pool of $600 million.

I'm thinking that if you are captain of a ship, and you sink it,
you don't get a parade.

We could have given AIG, or any car company, a billion less and paid for the whole food program.

I guess I'm not all that surprised. How many people are in danger of losing their homes, but still have cable, internet, 2 cars, cell phone and land lines, and on and on and on??

The simple concept of living within your means seems to have gone out the window when "easy credit terms" came along.
How many of the commercials for some of the ridiculous loans had the phrase "the credit you deserve"? When your credit rating is based on your past history of paying your bills, it is the credit you deserve.
And of couse you can't not let your kids have everything they ask for, can you? You know the penalty for not being one of the "cool kids" don't you?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm going to chime in here even though I generally shy away from this forum!
I worked at a grocery store for 5 1/2 year and was appalled by the number of people using-or should I say abusing food stamps. Before I say anything else, for the people who truly need food stamps, it's available-IF you qualify. I've known a few friends, who were working as much as they could, but still had to pay rent and bills and then worry about food. They got denied from the program.
What was appalling to me was this: food stamps are supposed to be used to buy foods that are necessary, bread, milk, cheese, meat etc. And no hot food or certain items from the deli. These people would come through the line, have $500+ in food stamps to spend each month and buy nothing but junk food; chips, pop, candy and whatever else. AND they would sit there in the line, talking or texting on their high tech cell phone!
ok that's my .02!

Personally, I think this is the real world personification of what's wrong with government hand outs. The idea is great on paper. We'll help those in need of food and life necessities. The assumption is that nobody will abuse the system. In reality, people who refuse to pull themselves up and actually take pride in living off freebies will always drain the system. Then bitch that the system doesn't give them more.

On paper, looks great. In reality, pays people who enjoy sitting on their ass.

I had an interesting discussion in an economics class about the true intent of food stamps. The question asked by the professor regarded the difference between giving food stamps and just giving cash. Of course the knee jerk answer is that giving food stamps ensures the purchase of only food. However, when the entire financial situation of the recipient is taken into consideration, there's no difference. $200 in food stamps simply frees up $200 in overall wealth. The only time food stamps guarantee just the purchase of food is if there is zero money otherwise available to the recipient. Otherwise, any other cash on hand would be freed up to spend on said accessories like cell phones and shoes.

Just an interesting topic, I thought.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

In my mind, poor means hungry. I've seen poor, not the the type of poor that doesn't have what everybody else has, but the chronic live in the dust, malnurished, dead by 45 poor. The type of poor that gives a newborn only 3 chances in 10 to make it to their first birthday. So let's start by waking up to the fact that poor is not a relative term and that "American Poor" is an oxymoron.

If someone came up to you and said. "Here's $500 bucks." would you take it? If you did, would you feel like a winner or a loser? Would you wonder where it came from?

What I found amusing about all the people shouting at the top of their lungs that if we can bail out Wall Street then we shouldn't complain about giving the average Joe a few bucks. What is funny about that position is that it is backwards. If we bail out the abusers and the overconsumers and the others that that take advantage of the system why would we not bail out Wall Street and Detroit?

It reminds me of the old joke:

He: Would you sleep with me for 20 million dollars?
She (sheepishly): Yes.
He: Well then, would you sleep with me for 20 cents?
She: No, what kind of woman do you think I am?
He: We've established what kind of woman that you are, we're just haggling over the price.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I'm going to chime in here even though I generally shy away from this forum!
I worked at a grocery store for 5 1/2 year and was appalled by the number of people using-or should I say abusing food stamps. Before I say anything else, for the people who truly need food stamps, it's available-IF you qualify. I've known a few friends, who were working as much as they could, but still had to pay rent and bills and then worry about food. They got denied from the program.
What was appalling to me was this: food stamps are supposed to be used to buy foods that are necessary, bread, milk, cheese, meat etc. And no hot food or certain items from the deli. These people would come through the line, have $500+ in food stamps to spend each month and buy nothing but junk food; chips, pop, candy and whatever else. AND they would sit there in the line, talking or texting on their high tech cell phone!
ok that's my .02!

Did you work in the banana dept. LOL. Sorry. I just couldn't help myself. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

With another 1/2 million losing their jobs in November alone due to the economic mess created for us by Masters of the Universe on Wall Street and their political allies, expect the number of people needing food stamps to increase.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

33 million people received foods stamps this month.

While I understand your message; let's not forget this number is a spike which includes the Federal Disaster Food Stamp program for those that went thru Gustav/IKE.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If we bail out the abusers and the overconsumers and the others that that take advantage of the system why would we not bail out Wall Street and Detroit?

The difference is understanding "disposable income".

If you make $20K a year and have 2 kids, then you are spending every cent you have trying to eat and live somewhere.

If you make $2 million a year and go to a $440,000 weekend "retreat" sponsored by AIG, then I am not too concerned
about you. You have, for an estimate, $1.99 million in disposable income. You are eating well and worried about
your planned vacation in Italy.

It is almost heartless to compare the problems of the two groups. One wants free food, one wants $25K of drinks and snacks for the weekend.

If we bail out the abusers and the overconsumers and the others that that take advantage of the system why would we not bail out Wall Street and Detroit?

If you make $20K a year and have 2 kids, then you are spending every cent you have trying to eat and live somewhere.

I think this was the whole point of the OP. The people who should be spending every cent on a house and food are instead walking around with iPhones.

It actually fits well with the rest of your post. The AIG douches who were going bankrupt spent cash they didn't have on a rediculous vacation. It's kinda the same thing as the food stamp deal, but on a much larger scale. Living outside your means occurs on all levels of income.

I think this was the whole point of the OP. The people who should be spending every cent on a house and food are instead walking around with iPhones.

It actually fits well with the rest of your post. The AIG douches who were going bankrupt spent cash they didn't have on a rediculous vacation. It's kinda the same thing as the food stamp deal, but on a much larger scale. Living outside your means occurs on all levels of income.

If the government sets the example of living beyond its means by running up huge deficits, why expect the people to ignore said example in the way they manage their own lives?

Is this problem costing us more than the $150Billion + in lost revenue due to tax cheating by the self employed and small business owners (IRS estimates)? We don't hear a lot of outcry from the right about THAT! The rich are the biggest cheats of all (see attachment).

How can it be fixed without disadvantageing the TRULY needy?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the government sets the example of living beyond its means by running up huge deficits, why expect the people to ignore said example in the way they manage their own lives?

Agreed, but if you're looking up to the government for financial guidance then you have bigger issues.

Is this problem costing us more than the $150Billion + in lost revenue due to tax cheating by the self employed and small business owners (IRS estimates)? We don't hear a lot of outcry from the right about THAT! The rich are the biggest cheats of all (see attachment).

Wow, that's quite a stretch just to point a finger at the right.

Tax fraud is just as wrong, but is a totally different conversation and has nothing to do with food stamps. Nor, anywhere so far in the thread, has anyone made it a right vs left argument. I'm sure there are people on both sides of politics who abuse government programs and/or cheat on taxes.