TomAiello

DPMS LR 308

Gander had the SIG 556 for $1600 right before I left (post-election).

I bolded the most important part of your sentence.;)

Dang, they sold out already? What about their other AR's?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

50 people deep just for AR lowers.

WOW!! Guess I won't be getting an AR next time I'm home....

I'll let you hold mine:P Might even let you shoot it if you let me shoot your 1911:D

At a gun show last weekend i only saw one stripped lower and it was priced at $180 (RRA) one table had two or three complete lower halves, didn't see a price on them. However, on sunday afternoon, several tables still had AR's sitting, looks like the price on them finally topped out because several people were asking if i was selling the one i had with me but weren't willing to pay the asking price on the others at the show.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Now would also be the time to get an AI.

AI?

Accuracy International, An over-priced bolt-action tactical rifle from the UK. They run anywhere from $4500-6000 w/o optics. Everytbody just goes nuts over the cool looking stock. Tactical rifles from Sako, H-S Precision and Dakota Arms are just as accurate at half the cost.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

So, I'm looking at picking up a DPMS LR 308. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

I was looking for a good, accurate long range rifle, and I originally started looking into an M1A, but I'm now thinking about the DPMS, with a heavy stainless barrel, target grip, target stock (the Mag-pul one), and a good scope for about what I'd pay for the M1A, without the scope (and some of the other goodies). A shade over two grand.

Any opinions from the firearms enthusiasts?

I believe you're looking at the SASS model. There are about 8 different LR-308 models. The SASS was DPMS's canidate for DOD's M-110 trials. The DOD went with a rifle from Knight Arms, similar to the SR-25. IF I had the cash to buy one right now I would go with the LR-308 SASS. It comes fully loaded and should hold it's value.

A few other things you may want to keep in mind concerning that rifle;

1. Only mid-2008 and up rifles come with the MagPul stock. Earlier versions have a Vltor collapsible stock. You could convert it. The MagPul stock costs about $240.

2. With an 18" barrel it is more like a mid range rifle, than a long range rifle. The barrel is too short to maximize ballistics.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

AI?

Accuracy International, An over-priced bolt-action tactical rifle from the UK. They run anywhere from $4500-6000 w/o optics. Everytbody just goes nuts over the cool looking stock. Tactical rifles from Sako, H-S Precision and Dakota Arms are just as accurate at half the cost.

No. I disagree. The AI is more expensive, granted. But you do get something for that cost besides an "over-priced bolt action" and a "cool looking stock."
If you don't have the funds for that though, there are less expensive alternatives - as you mentioned. But if I had to choose between a Longbow from Dakota and building up a system from an M2008 from Badger, I would absolutely chose the M2008.

I like Badger's products even though the only thing that I personally want to buy is their tactical latch for the charging handle.

The major parts that I really want to buy to upgrade my rifle just about all come from LaRue.

I was thinking about getting this from Noveske, but decided that it probably wouldn't go over well with my work rifle.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=portdoor&cat=9&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Well Mike, I guess when you come in town again we'll have to go shoot. There's an outdoor range just outside of town that will give us a lot more latitude for setting up scenario shoots and moving around the range.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AI?

No. I disagree. The AI is more expensive, granted. But you do get something for that cost besides an "over-priced bolt action" and a "cool looking stock."
If you don't have the funds for that though, there are less expensive alternatives - as you mentioned. But if I had to choose between a Longbow from Dakota and building up a system from an M2008 from Badger, I would absolutely chose the M2008.

All of the above are more or less garbage since the don't offer a LH action option. If you're going to pay $3000+ for a rifle you should at least have the choice of LH/RH actions.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

H-S Precision.

I won't give any of my money to HS Precision, since they have Lon Horiuchi endorsing their products - sorta like having Jack the Ripper endorse Benchmade, y'know?

Can you provide a link that states he does endorsements for H-S Precision??

I can't seem to find anything linking him to that company, other than the fact that their rifles are FBI contract weapons.

I'm quite sure that over the years there have probably been more unarmed people killed with 1911 type pistols and AR type rifles than there have been with H-S Precision rifles. Are you going to take a stand and not have anything to do with those weapons now also??

Never mind. I found some links. The endorsement is something that came to light in just the last few days (11-26-2008). Most of the blogs I've have read expect a retraction from H-S Precision in the next few days. A theory being circulated is the ad company that made up their catalogs didn't know who LH was and thought statements printed on the back of the catalog would help rather than hurt the company. Apparently someone f'ed up. I'm going to follow this to see how it plays out.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

All of the above are more or less garbage since the don't offer a LH action option.

The only company that makes a "LH" AR-15 is Stag Arms.

Most all of the wrong hand shooters I know that shoot an AR have easily learned how to manipulate the weapon with the rifle on the left shoulder.

You either want an AR based weapon or you don't. If you don't, but want to stay with .223, then you have a decent choice of weapons like the Sig, H&K 416, FN-SCAR and others.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

All of the above are more or less garbage since the don't offer a LH action option.

The only company that makes a "LH" AR-15 is Stag Arms.

Most all of the wrong hand shooters I know that shoot an AR have easily learned how to manipulate the weapon with the rifle on the left shoulder.

You either want an AR based weapon or you don't. If you don't, but want to stay with .223, then you have a decent choice of weapons like the Sig, H&K 416, FN-SCAR and others.

We weren't really discussing AR rifles while we were hijacking the thread during those few posts.

But, since you brought it up, DPMS manufactures several different LH eject upper recievers. Although I personally wouldn't bother with those since all you really need to shoot an AR left-handed is a decent brass deflector.

Shooting a RH action bolt-action rifle left-handed and using your right-hand to work the action is much more awkward than one would think.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

It may have nothing to do with an actual "endorsement" of a product that Mike refers to.... but perhaps the "character" of the man himself (LTH) in a couple of recent US history lessons:( of our own LEO/Gvt policies>:( on domestic soil that is in question!??? But thats not what this thread is about..;)

nice lil research project(s)!

peace, blueskies and HAPPY SNIPE~dING!
(keep yer powder dry)

A theory being circulated is the ad company that made up their catalogs didn't know who LH was and thought statements printed on the back of the catalog would help rather than hurt the company. Apparently someone f'ed up. I'm going to follow this to see how it plays out.

It doesn't really matter if they just pull his feature off the back page of the catalog. That's not good enough.

The fact is, they have in their employ, a former FBI sniper who has murdered one or more people in bad shootings, and he's being used by them to sell sniper rifles to the FBI.

That's unacceptable, and politically incorrect as hell.

It's like using a Charles Manson endorsement to sell record albums from the Beetles:
"Charles loves the old Beetles albums, especially the "white" album, and the song "Helter Skelter". He really digs the secret messages telling him to start a race war by murdering whites and blaming it on blacks, and he's also taken this cue to build his hideout in the desert to escape the oncoming war. Why don't you buy this album too, and see what it speaks to you?"

Damn, you must have some good inside information that I don't have access too. Now I can't seem to find anything that says he is an employee of that company other than that endorsement letter. Last time I checked most endorsement deals are usually done on a sub-contract basis.

If Brett Farve signs gets a contract to do X amount of endorsements for Acme Tires, is he now one of their employees?? I guess I've had it wrong all of these years. :S

Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Expect probably a 6mos to 1yr wait on DPMS

Heh, try finding a Pmag anywhere in the US! I really should have bought 10 of them in October! I'm going to actually have to start reloading if I'm going to keep myself in .223.

For instance, I have a friend who have been trying to buy an AR for 3 weeks. Any major brand, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, anything...he's coming up with nothing and a whole lot of nothing.

Call Grey Group Training or go to their web site( http://www.greygrouptraining.biz/). They have and sell boat loads of Pmags and pretty much ever gun store in Fayetteville,NC has a enough parts to build your own AR and or buy one off of the shelf. Tell them I sent you,and you should get the "hook up".;)

Tom, let me know what you are looking for on your gun. I might be able to get you an amazing deal on that particular weapon direct from the factory.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Expect probably a 6mos to 1yr wait on DPMS

Heh, try finding a Pmag anywhere in the US! I really should have bought 10 of them in October! I'm going to actually have to start reloading if I'm going to keep myself in .223.

For instance, I have a friend who have been trying to buy an AR for 3 weeks. Any major brand, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, anything...he's coming up with nothing and a whole lot of nothing.

Call Grey Group Training or go to their web site( http://www.greygrouptraining.biz/). They have and sell boat loads of Pmags and pretty much ever gun store in Fayetteville,NC has a enough parts to build your own AR and or buy one off of the shelf. Tell them I sent you,and you should get the "hook up".;)

Tom, let me know what you are looking for on your gun. I might be able to get you an amazing deal on that particular weapon direct from the factory.
Should we use your real name or user name? :P

I sent Tom a link for a complete PSG-1 system, just don't know if he has a spare 20K.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"