TomAiello

DPMS LR 308

So, I'm looking at picking up a DPMS LR 308. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

I was looking for a good, accurate long range rifle, and I originally started looking into an M1A, but I'm now thinking about the DPMS, with a heavy stainless barrel, target grip, target stock (the Mag-pul one), and a good scope for about what I'd pay for the M1A, without the scope (and some of the other goodies). A shade over two grand.

Any opinions from the firearms enthusiasts?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Is the DPMS a piston upper?

No.

If not, I'd probably spend the extra and go with something like one of the Patriot Ordnance rifles.

Do they make a target model? I guess I could buy a barrel and have them swapped out, but I'd rather find something that's fairly finished (to the point I could do the rest myself--and I can't do a barrel) already.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

have you looked at the Rem. 700 chambered in .308 makes a great long range rifle.

Yes, but I'm currently more interested in purchasing things that have a good chance of becoming politically unavailable. I expect that I'll still be able to purchase a bolt action rifle in 3 years, but I doubt I'll be able to purchase an AR style rifle with magazines larger than 10 rounds.

I've actually been looking at bolt action rifles as well, but in .50 BMG.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I know that you can make the ar style rifles very accurate, but I have always preferred bolt action for long precision shots. Don't get me wrong though I would snatch up as many lowers or finished ebr's as are afforded by your budget. I would tend to agree with you that they are going to become less available and more expensive.

--------------------------------------------------
I am a greek midget

Yes, but I'm currently more interested in purchasing things that have a good chance of becoming politically unavailable

You may also want to check out the MSG91..it is basically an American made copy of the HK 91 and most of the stuff for the HK will fit.

I went with the PTR 91 KFM4.. with plenty of surplus magazines

I really enjoyed shooting it yesterday at the range.

And to make Officer Tackleberry happy I am going with the EoTech 552 xr.308 on a Pictinney rail. Next on the list is a 4X FTS magnifier for it

http://www.ptr91.com/products_ptr.html#indev

So, I'm looking at picking up a DPMS LR 308. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

Looks nice, but I haven't heard anything about 'em one way or the other.

I don't see many AR type rifles on the 1,000 yard line. M1A's are present, but a minority. Mostly the shooters use bolt guns at that distance.

Owning one should piss off the gun-o-phobes, so go for it. You'll be a "bad guy" in two categories: an evil assault rifle, and a sniper rifle. Lions and tigers and LR 308's, oh my!

I just happened to have shot one of those today.

Very nice. Pretty danged accurate, although we were on the short course practicing quick target accusation and firing.

The .308 was a "toy" to shoot between firing with our "black guns."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Both firearms have a high likelihood of becoming "politically" unavailable.

But as far as accuracy goes - the DPMS is pretty good (if lucky it might hold 1MOA, but it might need a new barrel)

There are a lot of people with your thoughts and DPMS has been doing record sales. Expect probably a 6mos to 1yr wait on DPMS

Expect probably a 6mos to 1yr wait on DPMS

Heh, try finding a Pmag anywhere in the US! I really should have bought 10 of them in October! I'm going to actually have to start reloading if I'm going to keep myself in .223.

For instance, I have a friend who have been trying to buy an AR for 3 weeks. Any major brand, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, anything...he's coming up with nothing and a whole lot of nothing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Heh, try finding a Pmag anywhere in the US! I really should have bought 10 of them in October! I'm going to actually have to start reloading if I'm going to keep myself in .223.

:D I bought about 20 in August. If you want I'll sell you a couple...

For instance, I have a friend who have been trying to buy an AR for 3 weeks. Any major brand, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, anything...he's coming up with nothing and a whole lot of nothing.

I've got a Bushmaster CMP with about 500 rounds through it that I'd sell for the right price.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

have you looked at the Rem. 700 chambered in .308 makes a great long range rifle.

Yes, but I'm currently more interested in purchasing things that have a good chance of becoming politically unavailable. I expect that I'll still be able to purchase a bolt action rifle in 3 years, but I doubt I'll be able to purchase an AR style rifle with magazines larger than 10 rounds.

I've actually been looking at bolt action rifles as well, but in .50 BMG.

Doesn't Armalite still manufacture 20 round mags for this?

You'll be a "bad guy" in two categories: an evil assault rifle, and a sniper rifle.

I'm already evil in so many categories I've lost count. I'm white. I'm a male. I'm self employed. I make too much money. The list goes on... :S

:D:D:D That is great!:D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

Looks nice, but I haven't heard anything about 'em one way or the other.

I don't see many AR type rifles on the 1,000 yard line.

This is almost certainly a silly question; Why is it called "AR-15 Style" when surely it's more of an AR-10 in construction?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I saw a couple this weekend at a local gun show. I have heard good things about DPMS in general but nothing specific about the LR308. Looks like it comes stock with the 24" stainless barrel so that should help with the accuracy and i agree with you that you should be able to pick up a Rem700 anytime in the forseeable future. Prices around here seem to be about 3-400 higher than pre election for all ebr's but there still seems to be plenty available.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Check out the review below for some more information. With a few minor modifications, the author thinks it's a pretty good rifle for the price. I bought one last month, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Only thing I've changed on it is the stock to a Magpul adjustable stock. I'm planning on changing the trigger also, and maybe upgrading to a longer flutted barrel some time later.

http://www.snipercentral.com/dpms308.htm
How can I be so thirsty when I drank so much last night?