kallend

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, too! :)
In the spirit of SC, I'd like to encourage you to opt for a heritage turkey this year.

"Heritage turkeys are raised outdoors, freely roam on pasture, and eat the varied diet nature intended them to eat, unlike most turkeys today that are raised indoors in confinement and are fed grains, fillers and supplements like antibiotics.

Whereas conventional supermarket turkeys can be tasteless and dry, heritage birds raised outdoors are juicy and succulent and taste the way a turkey is supposed to taste.

Not only do heritage turkeys taste better, they are genetically diverse, which is extremely important. The factory farmed Broadbreasted Whites, 99% of all turkeys, are genetically the same, which means an illness could spread through that breed and wipe them out. By raising genetically diverse turkeys, we are ensuring the survival of the species.

Heritage turkeys cost more money, but..."

we all know you can afford it. :P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

The article leaves out a few things:

The Wampanoag had been devestated by smallpox, starting before the puritans arrived. That's why there was an abandoned village & cleared farmland which the puritans moved into.

Also the Wampanoag wanted to establish an alliance with the English against the Naragansett who had (at that time) not been so devasted by the smallpox plague.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

celebrating the virtual genocide of an entire race of people

More semantics - I don't think it celebrates genocide. But we should remember that we got here today by killing a lot of people and taking their stuff. The story of Thanksgiving wasn't a rosy "we sat down with the Indians and had a nice turkey and cranberry sauce dinner" one.

The Wampanoag had been devestated by smallpox,

Which Europeans brought them in the first place ;)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

It is still a stupid holiday celebrating the virtual genocide of an entire race of people. No thx.

No, it's a holiday for celebrating the harvest & giving thanks. Most cultures have a similar type of holiday.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Fact: For many Indian people, “Thanksgiving” is a time of mourning, of remembering how a gift of generosity was rewarded by theft of land and seed corn, extermination of many from disease and gun, and near total destruction of many more from forced assimilation. As currently celebrated in this country, “Thanksgiving” is a bitter reminder of 500 years of betrayal returned for friendship.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Fact: For many Indian people, “Thanksgiving” is a time of mourning, of remembering how a gift of generosity was rewarded by theft of land and seed corn, extermination of many from disease and gun, and near total destruction of many more from forced assimilation. As currently celebrated in this country, “Thanksgiving” is a bitter reminder of 500 years of betrayal returned for friendship.

How sad it must be to have no optimism. The foundations of all of our holidays really have no bearing on the current observance of the holiday.
I choose to simply observe the day in the spirit of being glad for what I have, and knowing that things can always get worse, but being optimistic that they will get better.

Enjoy everyone!
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley