jclalor

Nova's judgment day: Intelligent design on trial

***Just as there isn't one iota of evidence for his non-existence.

That is still the silliest excuse used to defend the possible existence of gods. It's about as illogical as one can get.

Well, one thing is logical. We have one of two choices:

Choice #1 natural law god of chance occurrence - omnipotent, omnipresent, immutable, unconscious , eternal, unconcerned, un-involved.
Choice #2 Creator God of the universe - omnipotent
omnipresent, immutable, Self-aware, eternal,
concerned, involved.

There is no evidence that either exists or doesn't exist. One thing is for sure, one of them exists.

You must be confused. Neither of your choices are valid. There is no evidence of any kind of god at all.
Look at the evidence then draw a conclusion. Evolution is based on the evidence. There is no god involved, because there is no evidence of one. You seem to be stuck on this god thing. You seem to think there must be a god of some form.

There is no way possible to have evidence of something not existing and saying that is reason to believe it could exist is just as good a reason to believe in the tooth fairy or the boogeyman and when you do that then you put your God at their level. So the Christian God is equally as likely to exist as the boogeyman.

Then I must assume you also doubt all ancient people, such as Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great as you so readily reject Jesus. How much documentation of his existence do you need?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Then I must assume you also doubt all ancient people, such as Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great as you so readily reject Jesus. How much documentation of his existence do you need?

You shouldn't ASS U ME.

There is much more evidence of Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great then there is of the Biblical Jesus. I don't dispute that there ever was a Biblical Jesus, because I think that the bible was based on some historical fact. I don't believe the supernatural bullshit that is in the Bible. I consider that to be myth.
There is no evidence of any god. The Bible is just another book.

:|

Accepting the idea that historical person X once lived is one thing. Accepting that historical person X is actually God, creator of the universe, is quite another. Is that not utterly obvious to absolutely everyone?

>Is there a 3rd choice?

Yep. And a fourth, and a fifth, and a sixth . . .

Far too many people see things in binary.

Bill, you know as well as, or better than I do, that there are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Ya know, I spent 20+ years of my life listening to people like you tell me why I should believe the same things as them. I went along with it for a while, but I eventually learned that I could never bring myself to think like that.

In that time, it has been made apparent to me that it is useless to present facts to those kind of people, because they do not base their beliefs in facts. Everything that you hear, you will try to fit it into your tiny model of God without seriously considering the possibility of that model being flawed. Some people are just incapable of rational thought.

*shakes head and walks away*

Ya know, I spent 20+ years of my life listening to people like you tell me why I should believe the same things as them. I went along with it for a while, but I eventually learned that I could never bring myself to think like that.

In that time, it has been made apparent to me that it is useless to present facts to those kind of people, because they do not base their beliefs in facts. Everything that you hear, you will try to fit it into your tiny model of God without seriously considering the possibility of that model being flawed. Some people are just incapable of rational thought.

*shakes head and walks away*

Everything DOES fit, because if it seems that it doesn't, they just invoke " it's God's will" or Isaiah 55-8, and then, ta-da, it does fit.

Religion is the most extreme case known of observation bias, selection bias, information bias and confounding.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you doubt that Alexander was the son of Zeus-Ammon, or that Caesar became a god after his death? You must doubt all of history too!

(And Beowulf is right - there is far more evidence for the existance of those two than there is for Jesus.)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

(And Beowulf is right - there is far more evidence for the existance of those two than there is for Jesus.)

Perhaps there should be an investigation to provide evidence for the greatest sham, lie, BS conspiracy the world has ever seen, if it in fact is one....The burden is on the prosecution.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

>Perhaps there should be an investigation to provide evidence for the
>greatest sham, lie, BS conspiracy the world has ever seen . . .

Who said it was a sham? There's little doubt that someone like Jesus existed. There's also little doubt that the Bible is not a 100% accurate account of the history of Christianity.

Perhaps there should be an investigation to provide evidence for the greatest sham, lie, BS conspiracy the world has ever seen, if it in fact is one....The burden is on the prosecution.

Eh? I think Jesus probably existed. But there is more evidence for the existence of both Caesar and Alexander.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Kings & Conquerors always leave a lot of historical evidence about them.

For a guy in the ancient world who was never a king of any country, or the leader of any army, there is a LOT more evidence that Jesus (as a man) existed than for 99% of the people who lived at that time.

I understand not accepting Jesus as Son of God, but to claim (as some have) that Jesus was made up out of nothing, and was not even BASED on a real person, seems kind of ridiculous.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Eh? I think Jesus probably existed. But there is more evidence for the existence of both Caesar and Alexander.

I understand...sorry. I was starting to drift away to a completely different discussion.

I understand not accepting Jesus as Son of God, but to claim (as some have) that Jesus was made up out of nothing, and was not even BASED on a real person, seems kind of ridiculous.

Some of the religious claim that He was a Phantom...

You must be confused. Neither of your choices are valid. There is no evidence of any kind of god at all.
Look at the evidence then draw a conclusion. Evolution is based on the evidence. There is no god involved, because there is no evidence of one. You seem to be stuck on this god thing. You seem to think there must be a god of some form.

How can you be so stuck on evolution as the explanation for how everything came into existence.
Agreed evolution as a force has been in play for approximately 3.5 billion years, shaping life on this planet. It is just a process, totally reliant on other physical and chemical principles to even occur. How about the natural laws, matter, & energy, have they and will they always exist eternally? Since matter and energy can interchange but not be created or destroyed, how did the limited cognizant state we enjoy develop in this remote isolated place? If anything is possible in the world of evolution and chance occurrence then ,there must have been a supermassive cognizant state before we came along. A singularity of matter and energy is theorized and accepted, how can you be so certain that a singularity of awareness and wisdom didn't also exist. It is pretty obvious that we are the product of both.

It is pretty obvious that we are the product of both.

I see nothing obvious about it at all. Do you have any evidence that awareness and wisdom came from a singularity?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Just saying god did it just doesn't cut if for me.

Thats why we have science to explain how He did it.

I think that's pretty reasonable....If the Idea of the exsitence of God was so absurd, it wouldn't be such a popular debate.

Perhaps it would've been better to have a seperation between Church and Science to protect them from the perversion of those that can't tell the difference.

Good points all around.

Except that once again I see the atheists painting all Christians as science-denying. Not true at all. I'm a Christian who accepts evolution. There's large numbers of us.

In fact the LARGEST CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION on Earth does not deny Evolution. Somehow the atheists seem to miss that little fact.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Except that once again I see the atheists painting all Christians as science-denying. Not true at all. I'm a Christian who accepts evolution. There's large numbers of us.

In fact the LARGEST CHRISTIAN DENOMINATION on Earth does not deny Evolution. Somehow the atheists seem to miss that little fact.

The whole thing is just a mess...Some Christians are also to blame. You just labeled all Athiest as people that label all Christians as Science-Denying. I also carelessly labeled all Athiest as hypocrites in the Athiest Billboard Thread.

All this junk just accumulates and piles up over the years. Christians are arguing with ID Christians arguing with Scientists arguing with "Religious" Republicans arguing with Athiest arguing with the more "Christian like" Democrats....its no wonder we don't get anywhere....its so disorganized and everyone is getting hit from all angles with all sorts of steroetypes,personal perspectives and false presumptions...its madness.

Perhaps we could have a "Religion Only" section we're we can isolate the arguments between different prespectives,Ideals and beliefs, but it would have to be called something else so the Athiests won't get banned for posting their non-religious viewpoints;)...dare I say all Athiest view Athieism as not being a religion?

> Since matter and energy can interchange but not be created or
> destroyed, how did the limited cognizant state we enjoy develop in this
> remote isolated place?

Easy. Your brain came from dirt; the energy to run it came from sunlight (via plants.)

>If anything is possible in the world of evolution and chance
>occurrence then . . .

Not everything is possible. A great many things are, but not everything.

> A singularity of matter and energy is theorized and accepted, how can
>you be so certain that a singularity of awareness and wisdom didn't also
>exist.

It might indeed. There is merely no evidence for it.

Good points all around.

Quite so. There are a lot of religious people who accept science. Right up to the point where it threatens one of their strongly held beliefs, then science gets tossed faster than handgrenade with no pin. They even give it a fancy name like non-overlapping magisteria to make it sound like they haven't fudged anything.