rushmc

Calling Someone a Racist

If someone stereotypes a group of people that doesn't make them a racist. Racism is to say one race is superior than another.
Also, america was not the only country in history to have slaves to have slaves. Here is a study that was done during the freeing of slaves in south africa.
Place of origin Number Percent
Africa 875 26.65
India 1195 36.40
Indonesia 1033 31.47
Sri Lanka 102 3.10
Malaya 16 0.49
Mauritius 6 0.18
Other and unidentified 56 1.71
Total 3283 100.00

So should africans be paying reperations to indians and asians? Should indians and asians be getting more government money for organizations and schools than black people since black people enslaved them? Obviously not.
People also forget that the slaves were bought from black tribes who captured other tribes to africans were selling thier own people into slavery.
This is not to bash black people or anything like that but to simply make the point that at some point in history every "race" has been wronged. I am at least enough american indian to get goverment money yet I don't. (I am really more white than american indian.) The reason I don't is because knowone today has done me wrong so why should I be treated differently...or anyone else. We just need to be humans and treated as such.

Lets also remember america is a free country and, although it is completely wrong, we have the freedom to discriminate and be racist if that is what we choose to believe. If the goverment is to take away that right then we no longer have the right to choose what to believe....the government must dictate that to us.

People can and do discriminate for plenty of other reason other than race such as age, dress, ect. But to generalize isn't necessarily wrong or inaccurate either. One may generalize that most black people believe whites are racists. In actuality to combat this generalization one is actually generalizing that most black people don't believe that whites are racist. Its still a generalizations so it goes both ways. The question should be whether it is an accurate generalization or not. People generalize skydivers as crazy nuts that are adrenaline junkies. To say that we aren't is to make another generalization. Once again the question is whether it is accurate or not. One may have know a skydiver that is an adrenaline junkie does the generalization true? Another may know someone who is not a junkie, does that make the opposite true? No, however, is most of us really are adrenaline junkies then the generalization is accurate. This generalization may not always be accurate though. The sport may change or the culture of the sport may change so that most aren't junkies. The same is true when generalizing any group of people even by color. Every group can be generalized in some way. It is a matter of statistics and those generalization can be positive or negative.
Skydivers are beer drinkers. This is a generalization. Is it true? Does that mean that I drink beer? If I don't drink beer does that make the generalization false?;)

People who are regularly discriminated against regularly owe just as careful an individual evaluation of situations as those who are not regularly discriminated against.

Remember that your experiences are a filter. But they're a reflection of the past, and not a template to use to force-fit all current situations.

The thing is that most people expect the "other side" to be perfect before they feel the need to change.

"Why should I stop if there is one guy out there saying honky?"
"Why should I stop if there is one guy out there saying faggot?"
"Why should I stop if there is one guy out there saying nigger?"

It works for everyone. Each of us has the responsibility to take the first step, not the last.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Trust me on this....

Those who have lived a lifetime of being discriminated against because of their race or gender or sexual orientation...... can spot or hear the words of a racist or misogynist or homophobe in a heartbeat

When its a waddlin and a quackin....

More like anyone who has the ability to read and comprehend can spot the words of racism in ...

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

... :S
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The whole point I was trying to a point that was lost/ignored in the very first post

People feel too much and not think. that is what I feel has happened with this thread.

Dude, sometimes I really can't even figure out the intent behind your sentences. Can anybody interpret?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I am not trying sterotype or link and groups in bunch. However, it is done to some extent the other way around.

You said that you agree with the email, the email contains several racist stereotypes.

"You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... and that's OK...

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist."

If you cannot see that you brought racist stereotypes into this thread from your very first post, then it says a lot about you.

As being disgusted by the writer? Not at all. His point are very valid.

Interesting.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist."

this is not actually racist. It is not saying that whites are superior. It is a generalization which, IF (I am not saying they do but am only posing a hypothetical situation) black people do these things more than whites then it is true. However, if white people do these things more and this same statement were made in the direction of white people would you call it racist or just say the facts support the generalization?

Is black liberation theology racist?
"Christ is black therefore not because of some cultural or psychological need of black people, but because and only because Christ really enters into our world where the poor were despised and the black are, disclosing that he is with them enduring humiliation and pain and transforming oppressed slaves into liberating servants."
"Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill gods who do not belong to the black community."
"... Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love."

-James Cone

I have never descriminated or oppressed a black person yet I am the "white enemy".

>Is black liberation theology racist?

No, no more than all whites are racist because we enslaved blacks. However, James Cone sounds like a racist.

>I have never descriminated or oppressed a black person yet I am the
>"white enemy".

And I bet no black person has ever tried to kill you, so his sermon really doesn't apply.

this is not actually racist. It is not saying that whites are superior.

Yes it is. It's saying that black people are criminals and white people are law abiding citizens and/or policemen who are keeping the black criminals in check.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

This entire thread is ridiculous. It sucks to be discriminated against whether you are white, black, brown, yellow, male or female. The email is from and obviously biggoted man who is trying to justify his own ignorance and hatred which is just childish.

"I know you are but am I?"

Sorry rush but I do not see the point of this thread. Racism is racism. Paint it how you like. Perhaps one day you will understand what it's like to live as a brownie.

In SoCal I'm just another Mexican because of my skin tone. When driving through predominantly white neighborhoods the cops eyeball fuck the hell out of me. They follow me and run my plates hoping for a warrant. That doesn't happen when I'm on my bike. Why? Because my gear hides the color of my skin.

And I'm not whining or looking for sympathy. Fuck that. I can deal and I am proud of my heritage. Growing up in a multicultural household has given me an incredibly broad perspective of the world. I can go anywhere and do as the Romans do. I have it fucking good.

My recommendation is to move your white ass to a country where you are the minority for a few years. Then maybe you will have an understanding of the level of ignorance, hate, and cowardice some of us have experienced in our lifetime.

Racism is ignorance, hatred and cowardice walking hand in hand.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

This whole thread makes me think of my daughter's favorite poem (and one of mine favorites as well.)
My skin is kind of sort of brownish
Pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are grayish blueish green,
But I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown,
But it's silver when it's wet.
And all the colors I am inside
Have not been invented yet.

-Shel Silverstein

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

>I am proud of what I am!

That's great. I will remain proud of what I have done, not of what my genome says about me. Personally I have always been more impressed by people who take pride in what they do than people who take pride in being something they had no hand in. Sorta like a rich kid who is proud of his parent's money, none of which he earned.

So you're not proud to be an American?

For me, "happy" or "appreciative" would work better than "proud".

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The whole point I was trying to a point that was lost/ignored in the very first post

Maybe it isn't so much that the point was ignored as much as it was that you weren't clear enough. It sure seems like there are a lot of people who "missed the point" that you are trying, unsuccessfully, to make.

I am not trying sterotype or link and groups in bunch. However, it is done to some extent the other way around.

Not trying to stereotype and not stereotyping are two very different things.

As being disgusted by the writer? Not at all. His point are very valid. It IS that way in many respects, maybe just not to the extreem written.

Apparently the validity of the points made by the writer is pretty subjective, because the majority of the people reading it seem to realize the ridiculousness of it.

People feel too much and not think. that is what I feel has happened with this thread.

That's what I feel happened when you decided that posting it was a good idea in the first place.

This whole thread makes me think of my daughter's favorite poem (and one of mine favorites as well.)
My skin is kind of sort of brownish
Pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are grayish blueish green,
But I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown,
But it's silver when it's wet.
And all the colors I am inside
Have not been invented yet.

-Shel Silverstein

Now add the political reality that we see today. THAT is part of the context of my OP
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If someone stereotypes a group of people that doesn't make them a racist. Racism is to say one race is superior than another.
Also, america was not the only country in history to have slaves to have slaves. Here is a study that was done during the freeing of slaves in south africa.
Place of origin Number Percent
Africa 875 26.65
India 1195 36.40
Indonesia 1033 31.47
Sri Lanka 102 3.10
Malaya 16 0.49
Mauritius 6 0.18
Other and unidentified 56 1.71
Total 3283 100.00

So should africans be paying reperations to indians and asians? Should indians and asians be getting more government money for organizations and schools than black people since black people enslaved them? Obviously not.
People also forget that the slaves were bought from black tribes who captured other tribes to africans were selling thier own people into slavery.
This is not to bash black people or anything like that but to simply make the point that at some point in history every "race" has been wronged. I am at least enough american indian to get goverment money yet I don't. (I am really more white than american indian.) The reason I don't is because knowone today has done me wrong so why should I be treated differently...or anyone else. We just need to be humans and treated as such.

Lets also remember america is a free country and, although it is completely wrong, we have the freedom to discriminate and be racist if that is what we choose to believe. If the goverment is to take away that right then we no longer have the right to choose what to believe....the government must dictate that to us.

People can and do discriminate for plenty of other reason other than race such as age, dress, ect. But to generalize isn't necessarily wrong or inaccurate either. One may generalize that most black people believe whites are racists. In actuality to combat this generalization one is actually generalizing that most black people don't believe that whites are racist. Its still a generalizations so it goes both ways. The question should be whether it is an accurate generalization or not. People generalize skydivers as crazy nuts that are adrenaline junkies. To say that we aren't is to make another generalization. Once again the question is whether it is accurate or not. One may have know a skydiver that is an adrenaline junkie does the generalization true? Another may know someone who is not a junkie, does that make the opposite true? No, however, is most of us really are adrenaline junkies then the generalization is accurate. This generalization may not always be accurate though. The sport may change or the culture of the sport may change so that most aren't junkies. The same is true when generalizing any group of people even by color. Every group can be generalized in some way. It is a matter of statistics and those generalization can be positive or negative.
Skydivers are beer drinkers. This is a generalization. Is it true? Does that mean that I drink beer? If I don't drink beer does that make the generalization false?;)

I understand what you post and for the most part I do not disagree. But add the political corret asspect that that is in the US today and you have a bastardized debate based in that context. That is the point of my post.

The fact that the word is used to intimidate is the bull shit I address. That is the point. the rest in noise....
Abraham Lincoln

>Is black liberation theology racist?

No, no more than all whites are racist because we enslaved blacks. However, James Cone sounds like a racist.So your answer is yes, which is directly to the point!

>I have never descriminated or oppressed a black person yet I am the
>"white enemy".

And I bet no black person has ever tried to kill you, so his sermon really doesn't apply.

avoiding the point
Abraham Lincoln

Maybe it isn't so much that the point was ignored as much as it was that you clear weren't enough. It sure seems like there are a lot of people who "missed the point" that you are trying, unsuccessfully, to make.

Not trying to stereotype and not stereotyping are two very different things.

As being disgusted by the writer? Not at all. His point are very valid. It IS that way in many respects, maybe just not to the extreem written.

Apparently the validity of the points made by the writer is pretty subjective, because the majority of the people reading it seem to realize the ridiculousness of it.

That's what I feel happened when you decided that posting it was a good idea in the first place.

I never thought is was a good idea. I posted it because I see the discrepancies of how the different sides are judged, attacked and defined.
Abraham Lincoln

Other than a few of the later comments, you nailed this topic

What? You don't like my recommendation? :D

Shouild we ever get the chance to meet I will buy you all the beer you can drink!

But your driving;)
Abraham Lincoln

>So your answer is yes, which is directly to the point!

No, my answer is no. Gotta read before replying.

No, I read it. Your answer is yes. Sorry YOU dont see that
Abraham Lincoln

No, I read it. Your answer is yes. Sorry YOU dont see that

How is it possible to argue with somebody who puts words in your mouth? I just got done having this conversation with you in another thread.

Billvon said NO. You cannot just tell him he said yes. You can't change other people's words on your whim.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com