gregpso

long service leave

Do you good folk in the USA have long service leave ? ie after 10 years service govt workers get 3 months on full pay and private industry get 2 months full pay. Time to travel etc on full pay after 10 years work. Same again after another 10 years. Pretty good deal that Surely you get that !
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

Do you good folk in the USA have long service leave ? ie after 10 years service govt workers get 3 months on full pay and private industry get 2 months full pay. Time to travel etc on full pay after 10 years work. Same again after another 10 years. Pretty good deal that Surely you get that !

the answer is mostly no. i have heard of a couple people getting time after 10 - 20 years but that is a rare exception. also we generally get 1 - 3 weeks paid vacation depending on time with a company. the problem with america is we need to be motivated, with motivation we are the most productive country in the world without exception, without the right motivation we are generally the whiniest.

I've heard of a few "high tech" companies that force extended leaves of absence (with pay) after some number of years...e.g. 2-3 months every 5-7 years.

Personally, at my old job I got 4 weeks of vacation a year, 2 weeks of holidays, and "approximately" a week of sick time (more than a week a year had to be authorized by manager). When I started my new job, I went back to 2 weeks vacation a year, still had 2 weeks of holidays, and now have a "forced" week of sick time...i.e. I get 5 weeks total per year put into a time-bank and sick/holiday/vacation days all come out of the same bank. Coming up on 5 years here, so hopefully I'll start getting an extra week of vacation per year.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

the sabbatical exists at many companies, though frequently eliminated in recent years.

It's somewhat unusual to work at the same place that long.

now given that Australians do get all this holiday, how come you guys are just as obese as Americans now? What's your excuse?

now given that Australians do get all this holiday, how come you guys are just as obese as Americans now? What's your excuse?

Because they spend it all drinking beer by the barbeque.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

too much of the the Amercian export junk food Mc Donalds etc Problem is it tastes so bloody good. Seriously same as you kids do not exercise as much with computers etc. See the movie supersize me it applies here as well although the serving size in the States at resturants is unbelieveable (good value though)
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

It depends on the company. I've had several friends get leave of the nature you describe (here it's generally called a "sabbatical" even outside of academia) when working in the IT industry.

One of my friends was able to stack up his regular yearly vacation, sabbatical and some other pto (paid time off--it's basically sick time you're allowed to take without being sick) and took 6 months off to take a trip around the world, after 5 years with his employer.

As far as I know government jobs don't offer that kind of benefit, but I'm not totally certain about that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Greg,

the U.S. Military all get 30 days paid leave per year. no matter what the rank. Of course they tend to add up since sometimes its hard to take. But i think its better than civilian jobs vacation time.

Also, we can't carry more than 60 days past the end of the fiscal year (unless you're deployed then its 90). If you have 70 days then you better figure out a way to take at least ten of them before October or you'll be selling it back which sucks.
Muff #5048

Generally no, and even where you do have 2 weeks of vacation a year it may be impractical to actually use them if you don't manage to get sick.

Taking a day or two a year plus paid hollidays is not too atypical. I've taken one day off in the last year for my anniversary.

I get three weeks of paid vacation per year, but my boss gets mad if I take them.

I also get holidays off, same deal, pissed-off boss. I requested Christmas day off, but got denied, even though I'm the only one on the team with children. Guess I'll be calling in sick that day.....

I get all of the overtime I can handle. Which equals mostly 6 and 7 day weeks.

And they STILL outsource our jobs, because the rest of our production shop is not built like me.

And they wonder why I want to quit and buy a DZ.....
"Get these balls!"

I get three weeks of paid vacation per year, but my boss gets mad if I take them.

Tough shit! You need a break from work or you will go crazy. Need to flush the mind.

I requested Christmas day off, but got denied,

24/7 365 job! I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat. I got Christmas off last year just because it fell on my normal day off.

even though I'm the only one on the team with children.

This is where you lose me. So just because you have kids you think you should automatically have Christmas off? I have family and a wife at home who I would love to spend the day with. But since I dont have kids I should have to work because you do?

And they wonder why I want to quit and buy a DZ.....

Buy some ulcer drugs. Your gonna need them as a DZ owner.:P
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

We get paid vacation every year, usually, and if we don't use it, we can save it if we want to take a long trip a few years down the road. My dad, for example, has been with his employer for 38 years. He gets five weeks vacation per year, and usually only uses two. So, he's now got three months paid time off on the books that he can use for a long trip when he chooses, or he can just hang on to it and start his official retirement later than the date he actually stops work.

They deserve every bit of that and more for the work they do. Many in Australia as well as your country do not agree with the Iraq thing and weapons of mass destruction etc (lets not get into that at present) Thanks to all those who have served and are serving come home safe please.

I'm pretty fortunate as far as the vacation/sabbatical thing. I get a 2 month sabbatical every seven years and 6 weeks paid vacation every year. The vacation goes up to 7 weeks after 5 years and 8 weeks after 10.

We can also add on as much vacation as we've saved up during the sabbatical. It's a pretty nice benefit for sure.

Action©Sports