gregpso

gun ownership in the USA

Interesting.
I sold one today.
I had bought a six-pack of Sig '40's from a friend of mine with a FFL - decided I could let one go when another friend just HAD to have one.

With all those nasty handguns laying around, the crime rate in your house must be thru the roof!:D
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

This is just a cheesy Mossburg 12 gauge...marine version... in its own sealed... floating orange marine survival kit TUBE...

My old one that I bought back in 1980 almost has to exist in a permanent oil bath for the slide to function after spending so many years in a salt water environment.

Interesting.
I sold one today.
I had bought a six-pack of Sig '40's from a friend of mine with a FFL - decided I could let one go when another friend just HAD to have one.

With all those nasty handguns laying around, the crime rate in your house must be thru the roof!:D

Strawman.

The problem is ridiculously easy access by criminals and nutters, straw purchasers (criminals), and careless people who fail to secure their firearms against theft. I don't believe Jeanne falls into any of those categories.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Pssst I bought another one today;)

Don't you know by now what kallend has taught us: that where there are more guns there is more crime. And since you have just increased the size of your personal arsenal, your home is now more likely to become a crime scene. When are you gonna learn? ;)

Heck, my home should be a veritable crime wave. But it's not. Maybe there's something wrong with kallend's theory...

Interesting.
I sold one today.

Strawman.

The problem is ridiculously easy access by criminals and nutters, straw purchasers (criminals), and careless people who fail to secure their firearms against theft. I don't believe Jeanne falls into any of those categories.

Please elaborate on how one does this with 100% certainty. If I go on vacation what's to keep a theif from breaking into my place and taking the time to break open my safe and STEAL my guns?

i dont buy this argument one bit. If someone steals guns it won't matter how secured they were. People are still going to say how irresponsible the owner is for not securing them better.
Muff #5048

And since you have just increased the size of your personal arsenal, your home is now more likely to become a crime scene. When are you gonna learn?

Heck, my home should be a veritable crime wave. But it's not. Maybe there's something wrong with kallend's

First off.... all the guns are in safes( really good fireproof gun safes) ( other than what I am carrying at the moment:ph34r::ph34r:

The ammo has a separate safe. ( just in case there is a fire.. I do not want combustibles in the same safe with the weapons)

Next they would have to get into the safe... and that might just prove lethal in and of itself;)

Interesting.
I sold one today.

Strawman.

I wasn't making an argument, so there is no "strawman", ok? Ok.
It is obvious you could not tell, so I will explain it to you....my remark was sarcasm. Sarcasm pointed at those who feel more guns = more crime, who ever those people may be.
Finally, I was responding to normiss, not Amazon.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

And since you have just increased the size of your personal arsenal, your home is now more likely to become a crime scene. When are you gonna learn?

First off.... all the guns are in safes( really good fireproof gun safes) ( other than what I am carrying at the moment:ph34r::ph34r:

The ammo has a separate safe. ( just in case there is a fire.. I do not want combustibles in the same safe with the weapons)

Next they would have to get into the safe... and that might just prove lethal in and of itself;)

See? You just bought the gun, and already you're talking about breaking and entering, burglary, vandalism, fire and homicide. All because you choose to own those evil guns. Shame on you for fulfilling the kallend-prophecy.

Nah I did not buy one of those yet.... I have been looking and am not in a real big hurry. I did see a very nice Colt version.....

I also saw a WAY too cool Colt AR-15 M4 style.... in 9MM... I had never seen one of those before...

I was wandering around the shop.....
This was kind of.. ok that is kewl.. I can put it next to the Avon liferaft and the signal kit and survival suits on the boat....:)
I got one of these... in the Orange case in the Marinecoat... my old one in blue... all the blue is gone long ago.

http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

What can I say.. I take my survival fairly seriously:)

I have a Mossberg 500 special, but I hadn't seen the shotgun in a can before. That's pretty cool.

That 500 is a lot of fun to shoot and makes a nice home defense weapon. With some training and the right ammunition choice it makes a great breaching shotgun too!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have always taken my 500 Mossberg cruising with me. I have seen very large fishies around a raft before.....and you never know what sort of two legged predator you might run across out there in international waters as well. but the can for the weapon and the ammo.... so it floats.. yeah... I thought way too cool.. I was impressed:)

As a side note.. its already loaded 3" magnums.. buck...slug....buck...slug....buck.....nothing in the chamber

I've personally grown to be more of a fan of Buck Buck Slug Slug Slug with 3 Bucks and 2 Slugs on a 5-rd sleeve on the outside of the gun. That way you have the more commonly needed rounds ready to go, but can pump 3-times to skip straight to slugs, or can fire twice and hand drop 3 more Bucks when needed.

That's just me, though, and others will tell you to load it differently.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had some friends over from Europe. We were talking about life in both places. They said the biggest thing they expected to find but did not was they were expecting to hear gunshots all the time.

They had been here about a week and had not heard a single gunshot. They were amazed.

It just goes to show that perceptions are not always correct.

People in many States do carry. Some legally, some illegally. In most cases it is not the people who carry legally that you need to worry about.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

39% of American homes have firearms. Our homicide rate is 8.95/100K. In Canada, 29.5% of the homes have firearms, about 3/4's as many, yet their homicide rate is 1.99/100K, or less than a 1/4 of ours.

Does anyone have the statistics for Switzerland handy?

Switzerland is high gun ownership and low gun crime.

A rather simplistic half-truth. The nature of gun ownership and firearms training in Switzerland is very different from that in the USA. Apples and oranges.

i wrote a huge post on that and then my internet explorer decided to fuck up on me..

basically, you can get rifle-training from as early as 15 or 16yrs old on. switzerland has a militia, so practically you'll find at least one army rifle in every household.

in the last couple of years, army rifles have repeatedly been used in amok runs, random killings and cases of domestic violence. that is a rather new phenomenon. so, politicians are trying to not allow that rifle/pistol hometaking of army issued weapons anymore. why that occured, one can only speculate. maybe immigration is playing a role.

that shooting-practice has a long tradition here. my shooting club is way over 100yrs old. but people wont carry their guns around, they usually stay at home, to have it loaded is forbidden.. you can take your gun to the range, the gunsmith and to your military service. carrying it around for the sake of it is not allowed.

last year, 51 have been murdered, we had 152 tries. 35 times a gun has been used, 66 times a knife, and 18 times the victims got strangled. 210 violators have been named, 187 of those were male, 112 were foreigners.. switzerland has about 7'000'000 citizens.

numbers for bodily harm: 9644 cases, 54 including a gun, 487 knifes, 8951 violators all together, 7643 out of those were male, 4755 foreigners..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

in the last couple of years, army rifles have repeatedly been used in amok runs, random killings and cases of domestic violence. that is a rather new phenomenon. so, politicians are trying to not allow that rifle/pistol hometaking of army issued weapons anymore. why that occured, one can only speculate. maybe immigration is playing a role.

Americans eh?:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

basically, you can get rifle-training from as early as 15 or 16yrs old on. switzerland has a militia, so practically you'll find at least one army rifle in every household.

Hey how easy is it to find some of the goodies for the outdated SR 1911 or the K31....stuff like bayonets... muzzle covers.. slings...

And what does 7.5x55 cost locally