skybill

Never mind the Beer,.. GOT GUNS!!

Stopped by a local Gun shop today!! Finally got a word or two in with Charlie between customers. "Busy eh?" "Since election day, non-stop!!" "Get your stuff while I still have it, our distributor said 7.62 is going to 'DOUBLE in $$' and that ain't all and that's only if 'They' can get any!!" "It's after 2 o'clock and I still havn't been to lunch." A lady comes up to the counter,"Yes Mam." "I want to buy a pistol.."

Went by Wally-World Sporting goods, same ball game.

And...it's only been one week since Barry got his dance card punched!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

John John John....
I sold off all my x 39.

Sounds like you're supplying a quality long range rifle, instead of one of those inaccurate Commie stamped sheet metal junkers.

If it's in belts, it means it's built for machine guns. So I'm guessing that the primers are swaged or staked in place? And the load is probably a bit hotter than normal. Are there tracers every 5th round?

I love my M14 in 7.62 x 51 - I use it out to 1,000 yards.

Ok I did some digging around... online..

I was sure it was ball when I bought it. I did not see any colored tips when I first looked

Headstamp L21A1 FNM 93-2

Portugese

Here is a picture of the ammo I found online. same same GI

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=217612

they claim its boxer... but for what I bought it for..I dont care if its berdan;)

Ok I did some digging around... online..

I was sure it was ball when I bought it. I did not see any colored tips when I first looked

Headstamp L21A1 FNM 93-2

Portugese

Here is a picture of the ammo I found online. same same GI

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=217612

they claim its boxer... but for what I bought it for..I dont care if its berdan;)

Should be fairly good ammo. Reloadable. 147 grain bullets are good out to about 600 yards.

John John John....
I sold off all my x 39.

Sounds like you're supplying a quality long range rifle, instead of one of those inaccurate Commie stamped sheet metal junkers.

In a real world scenario I'll take my "Commie stamped sheet metal junker" AK which is a reliable zombie-killer/wounder out to 300+ yards and my extra five 30-rd magazines in my sneaky bag. I'm v-e-r-y mobile. You long-rangers can freeze in your ghili suits on the hill as the designated marksmen while the warriors shlep our "peasant rifles" into the fight. ;)

Oh, and the poodle shooters (ARs) can take all the prairie dogs they want. :S
“Keep your elbow up!"

John John John....
I sold off all my x 39.

In a real world scenario I'll take my "Commie stamped sheet metal junker" AK which is a reliable zombie-killer/wounder out to 300+ yards and my extra five 30-rd magazines in my sneaky bag. I'm v-e-r-y mobile. You long-rangers can freeze in your ghili suits on the hill as the designated marksmen while the warriors shlep our "peasant rifles" into the fight. ;)

Oh, and the poodle shooters (ARs) can take all the prairie dogs they want. :S

I take it you haven't bothered to check the ballistics of the .223 round have you (and I'm not talking about that military ball ammo crap either)? Have you seen what a Winchester .223 45 grain JHP will do to a mans shoulder? It damn sure aint pretty.
Muff #5048

In a real world scenario I'll take my "Commie stamped sheet metal junker" AK which is a reliable zombie-killer/wounder out to 300+ yards and my extra five 30-rd magazines in my sneaky bag. I'm v-e-r-y mobile. You long-rangers can freeze in your ghili suits on the hill as the designated marksmen while the warriors shlep our "peasant rifles" into the fight.

I thought that comment might bring some commie-stamped-sheet-metal-junker-rifle-lovers out of the woods.

At 300 yards, you would never get to the fight - I'd take you out at twice that distance, if not more. Using a good ol' made-in-America-milled-receiver on my M14.

And when you've got a rifle that shoots accurately, you don't need to carry a ton of ammo around for spray-and-pray.

Take that, peasant! ;)

The whole purpose of the Kalashnikov was to arm the peasants. It's cheap, easy to manufacture, and requires very little skill to put a lot of lead in the air. It's not intended to give the user any kind of accuracy. The same thing is actually true of the M-16.

Modern assault rifles trace their lineage back to the sturmgeweher. The whole point is just to put as much lead in the air as possible--not to actually hit anything.

After WWII the US DOD did a study, in typical singleminded military fashion, to determine what factors decided the outcome of a battle. The study showed, in typical statisticians fashion, that (big surprise here) the side that put the most rounds downrange had won virtually every major engagement in the war. Their conclusion, then was that military weapons ought to be engineered to put as many rounds downrange as quickly as possible. Using small (light) bullets, so that soldiers could carry more ammo, and fully automatic fire, to put the ammo downrange in a hurry, was their solution. Accuracy and stopping power never factored into their decision.

Honestly, given what they were looking at, large scale engagements between largely conscripted, poorly trained adversaries, often (usually, on the Western European front) at ranges under 100 meters, that makes quite a lot of sense.

When you're talking about either individuals with real training, or people who you individually care about not getting killed, then a hunting rifle starts making a lot more sense than an assault rifle. Charging in with a blazing full auto looks good on TV, but isn't actually a good way to survive to fight another day.

How did Aggie Dave put it in this thread? It's almost as bad as being attacked by a Ninja?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"Modern assault rifles trace their lineage back to the sturmgeweher. The whole point is just to put as much lead in the air as possible--not to actually hit anything."

Huwuhhhh?? Shit--why not just give the troopies a bunch of sawed off 12-gauge shotguns or Tech 9s--since they don't care if they hit anything. Maybe the noise'll make the baddies run away like little girls! :S

Come on. Are you getting your military info from some stoner Viet draftee who shot full-auto out of his foxhole between tokes?

Where I live an AK-47 is the ideal weapon for defending a small ranch. Shots out to 300 yards? Not gonna happen in this hilly and semi-treed area.

I plan on being the DEFENDER--not the assault force. If you're coming at me with anything from an M-14 to a Glock 17 you gotta enter MY killing field. The AK is accurate enough under 300 meters. That is . . . accurate enough to put humans down. Wounded or dead matters not to me. I can move around the land working between junipers and other structures. In a pinch I can "walk" 10-20+ rounds into a vehicle or small group from my hip and pop in another 30-rounder in the blink of an eye.

Now if I lived in Iraq or the plains of Texas, I'd own an FAL in .308. But I don't. So I don't. :D

“Keep your elbow up!"