rehmwa

Here's a neat trick

So, even treating it as a hypothetical situation - Your position is that someone voting 6 times doesn't disenfranchise others.

That gives me a lot of insight into how some people's logic works on the issue of ID cards, registration, etc.

I agree with you. Regardless of whether or not the scenario given is possible, if it did happen then one person voting six times would decrease the value of the votes of people who only voted once. Even if it's by a mere fraction, it still a measure of disenfranchisment.
Owned by Remi #?

Given this definition

Main Entry: dis·en·fran·chise
Pronunciation: \ˌdis-in-ˈfran-ˌchīz\
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1664
: to deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or of some privilege or immunity ; especially : to deprive of the right to vote
— dis·en·fran·chise·ment \-ˌchīz-mənt, -chəz-\ noun

How does someone voting 6 times cause this to happen to anyone? It's not keeping anyone from voting. Poll taxes, requiring ID that isn't free, polling places 120 miles away, any many other things 'disenfranchise' voters. Not the actions of any other one voter. And all of my statements are based on the knowledge that this hypothetical can't happen anyway. She would/could not have 6 votes counted in a recount.

I'm one of the few (any others?) people on here that have been on a governmental ballot. And hire poll workers, indirectly. Whatever insight you think you have is very likely wrong.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Christ on a cracker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No need to be so verbose...why not just say "communion?"

Cause communion is christ "in" a cracker. Kinda like Chicken in a Biskit.

Edit to add educational illustration.

I loves me some Chicken In A Biscuit crackers.

How does someone voting 6 times cause this to happen to anyone? It's not keeping anyone from voting.

No, you are correct, it's not preventing anyone from voting, but it is making 5 other opposing votes meaningless. Regardless of what the dictionary says, how does illegally rendering another person's vote meaningless differ from preventing their vote?
Owned by Remi #?

An illegal act is an illegal act. It may invalidate the results of the election. That's for the Board of Review to decide. Rigging an election is not, in my use of the word, disenfranchising. It's rigging an election. You haven't removed the ' franchise', the right to vote. Preventing people from voting by the examples above, or choosing not to count all legal votes for some particular reason would be disenfranchising.

I can see how some might expand the definition to include the impossible hypothetical. But I don't choose to. Your use and my use of the word are inconsequential.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I see and understand your semantics based argument. In your world, casting votes for dead people also is not disenfranchisement - even though their vote cancels out the votes of legal voters, at least the voters still got to vote so they weren't disenfranchised, as such we could save a lot of money by just using Playschool (c) plastic voting stations and then allow anyone in office that has the most gimmicks.

So is your position then - "Extra" votes for a candidate is fine, while "Deleting" votes is bad?

Therefore, legalities such as not allowing a convicted felon to vote is not disenfranchisement

not allowing a non-citizen to vote is not disenfranchisement

if ID is required per the law, then that also would not be disenfranchisement

etc
etc
etc

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think the only way to have paper ballots is for the faulty ballot to be ejected immediately into a flash flame chamber - then an electric shock to the nads of the offending voter before letting them go back and try again.

Your response seems highly extreme!

They could probably just run the ballot through a cross-cut shredder and then do the rest of that stuff.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

They could probably just run the ballot through a cross-cut shredder and then do the rest of that stuff.

Yea but the other way would be a lot more entertaining to watch.B|

NO {{ZAP}} fill in the ovals completely {{ZAP}} fill them in {{ZAP}} NO checkmarks {{ZAP}}{{ZAP}}{{ZAP}}{{ZAAAAAP}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't know much about Coleman but I hope he pulls it out. Al Franken in the US Senate is a disturbing image.

Compared to what? :S

Compared to someone that does not have shit for brains. :S
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Yea but the other way would be a lot more entertaining to watch.

Read carefully oh great mahu from Oahu. I did not want to get away from toasting the chestnuts. Just didn't think we needed to get into the carbon emissions associated with the other. I'm all about the green stuff.

Now, go cross thread a fuel control valve so you can take your break. :P
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

:D

I miss your posts; there haven't been as many lately. [:/]

I've been very busy at work. Even now at late night I'm on a call with our factories.

As it is, my cynicism and mockery level has been lame. Thanks for the support anyway.

Living in Minnesota the thing that bothers me the most about the Senate race was that 87% of Al Franken's money came from out of state and 50% of Norm Colman's money came from out of state. Dean Barkley (Independent) received a $100 check from Kinky Friedman.

If that much money is flowing in from out of state, how can I trust these folks to do what is best for Minnesota?
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

From a poll observer in our area (ala Al Franken, Norm Coleman recount)

Old lady goes to vote and they instruct her to 'fill in the ovals completely'

1 - she makes an "x", the machine rejects it, go revote

2 - she makes a dot, the machine rejects it, go revote

3 - she makes a checkmark, the machine rejects it, go revote

4 - she circles the candidate's name, the machine rejects it, go revote

5 - she writes in the candidate's name over the ovals, the machine rejects it, go revote

6 - she carefully fills in the oval and votes

The neat thing is, since it's a private ballot, the maching now has 6 paper records of her voting. Only the last gets tallied in the summary report though.

But, on a recount, the paper ballots get visually inspected - each one is assumed to be a different person. The reviewers get to determine the "intent" of the voter.

result - in a recount, she gets to vote 6 times.

so, who thinks she just disenfranchised 5 people?

Nope, she doesnt get counted 6 times, 1 vote 1 person.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Living in Minnesota the thing that bothers me the most about the Senate race was that 87% of Al Franken's money came from out of state and 50% of Norm Colman's money came from out of state. Dean Barkley (Independent) received a $100 check from Kinky Friedman.

If that much money is flowing in from out of state, how can I trust these folks to do what is best for Minnesota?

hey, most states work hard to bring in money from outside.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Too bad the state won't see $.01 of that money, unless you count retina searing political commercials.
--- The Dude ---

Too bad the state won't see $.01 of that money, unless you count retina searing political commercials.

I'm sure lots of it was spent on in-state businesses.

Nope, she doesnt get counted 6 times, 1 vote 1 person.

awww, that's nice. Do you also believe in Santa?

It was spent on media ads.
--- The Dude ---

It was spent on media ads.

Well, they weren't on national TV, so they must have been local media. It's still part of the local economy.