PLFXpert

Immortality

How then, in your opinion, might maintaining a biological age of between 20 & 25 affect what one values in life and how one spends their time?

Take a 25-year-old of today for example--she might already be on her way up the corporate ladder, saving her money and striving to be a big success. Would she perhaps, given the opportunity to live biologically 25 indefinitely, be in such a hurry?

Now were getting interesting.

There are so many ways that this can go so let's take your second paragraph. If this is a first generation immortal she may not have a complete underestanding of the impact and live her life as if she was "normal" but work on career first since that is the route she took in the first place. Then, once financially secure do the other things in life she wanted to do.

If she is beyond first generation immortal I have no reference to form an opinion.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Now were getting interesting.

It could get really interesting if more people posted their thoughts.

The idea of immortality is not limited to age-defiance.

Also, I really didn't want to ask any specific question because...

There are so many ways that this can go...

I almost left the second paragraph out entirely; the response is far more interesting that way. I like seeing where people go on their own.

It was a bad attempt to get more of a response than this thread has received thus far.

But, since you did answer:

If this is a first generation immortal she may not have a complete underestanding of the impact and live her life as if she was "normal"...

Interesting...I think it would depend on what her motivation is.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

In my experience I would say just the opposite. I would say thTake a 25-year-old of today for example--she might already be on her way up the corporate ladder, saving her money and striving to be a big success. Would she perhaps, given the opportunity to live biologically 25 indefinitely, be in such a hurry?

I also think it would be interesting to see how much more people would be ecologically conscious if they knew they'd be around to see the results of something really long term such as global warming.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I also think it would be interesting to see how much more people would be ecologically conscious if they knew they'd be around to see the results of something really long term such as global warming.

Given that some people waste resources that appear to be on the brink of extinction in the next few years, and that some resources have become extinct in recent years, I think you're placing unfortunate faith in the idea that immortality would make the most people care more about the resources around them than themselves.
Owned by Remi #?

Hmmm... Interesting question. May I ask what sparked it?

You haven't been reading "Trouble With Lichen" by John Wyndham, have you? If you haven't, then you should. It produces some interesting commentary the desirability of a longer life for the individual versus the organisations than man has built.

If you have read the book, then you'll know the basic answer, which is that physical immortality or significantly longer life may be desirable for an individual human, it is dangerous for humanity.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I searched previous posts you've made about a trimaran and only this one came up. Two pages of "boat", mostly about yours.

I don't get it.

Is it your opinion humans in such a situation would have no regard for the environment and somehow you'd end up living on a boat?

I searched previous posts you've made about a trimaran and only this one came up. Two pages of "boat", mostly about yours.

I don't get it.

Kevin Costner....... water....... end of the world as we know it.....

Hell, that works for me B|
Owned by Remi #?

Kevin Costner....... water....... end of the world as we know it......

It would be cool to be a fishperson.

I used to pretend I was a mermaid--swimming underwater with my legs tightly together, beating the water as hard as I could from the knee down--when I was a little girl.

In my experience I would say just the opposite. I would say thTake a 25-year-old of today for example--she might already be on her way up the corporate ladder, saving her money and striving to be a big success. Would she perhaps, given the opportunity to live biologically 25 indefinitely, be in such a hurry?

Likewise, I wonder what this would do to the concept of religion. Given a long enough timeline (ie, you live til the earth is destroyed) you will eventually die. But the concept of death would be such an abstract one that would apply to the minority of people on the planet instead of everyone. I wonder if that would make people believe less in religion since they, in themselves would be gods in that they would be biologically immortal.

If you knew you would live forever, barring an accidental death, would you still skydive?

Sure. The alternative would be skulking around in bed hoping that I didn't fall asleep and accidentally smother myself with a pillow, eh?

Until we die from old age, the next largest chance of death comes from accident. Live a little, eh?
Owned by Remi #?

I want to be biologically 18 forever. Damn I looked good then. I would probably get rid of the mullet though.

It's a pet peeve of mine, if you quote a previous responder, the subject should indicate whom you've quoted.

:P

extreme stupidity

Tue, 11 Nov 2008

Hong Kong -

Asia's richest woman allegedly gave away her multi-billion-US-dollar fortune to a Hong Kong feng shui master in return for a promise of eternal life, a news report said Tuesday.

Nina Wang, who died of cancer last year at age 69, signed over her vast fortune to previously unknown feng shui master Tony Chan as a result of the promise, a lawyer quoted by the South China Morning Post said.

That didn't work.

Kinda off topic, I don't think immortality will ever be achieved, but I think it's possible to get close:

1. Have children. Your DNA lives on - it gets kinda watered down after a few generations, but part of you will always live in future generations.

2. Do something great. The greater, the longer you will live in people's memories. Their perception of you gets twisted after a few generations, but at least you'll be remembered. George Washington, Da Vinci, people like that - we may not really know who they were, but we remember their names and notable achievements.

3. Other ideas?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

We are all immortal already on several levels. The matter that composes our bodies was produced in exploding stars and is at least 13.7 billion years old.

The energy that defines our personalities is yet to be identified by science, and it is my belief that it will remain intact after the death experience. Since energy cannot be destroyed.