nerdgirl

Fun with PhotoShop in DPRK?

We all remember Iran’s PhotoShop misadventure with the cover-up of the misfire of one of four Shahab-3 missiles during this summer's Payambar-e Azam 3 (“Great Prophet 3”) military exercises.

Well, there’s suggestion that the recently released images purported to show North Korea's “Dear Leader” are faked causing new rumors about the state of Kim Jong Il’s health.

UK’s The Times apparently first questioned the veracity of the photo, the BBC did the image analysis, and Foreign Policy also reported on the story.

PhotoShop as foreign policy tool, eh? :o ... :D

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I honestly think that Kim Jong Il has been dead for the last 4-5 months and if the citizens actually found out about it there would be a revolt.

It would be 50 years late, but I'd love to see a unified and free Korea.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

was the released image a bit bigger?

It's hard to tell much with a 2nd generation jpeg, and the comments superimposed are distracting. You're left to take the analysts's work for it.

After seeing Mythbusters destroy the shadows argument made to support the claim that the moon landing is a hoax, I take that one with the greatest level of suspicion.

was the released image a bit bigger?

Not as far as I am aware.

It's hard to tell much with a 2nd generation jpeg, and the comments superimposed are distracting. You're left to take the analysts's work for it.

Good point. Good questions to which I don't know the answer. If it was released 2 years ago, the bar would be much higher. Today it's something that makes, me at least, go "hmmm"? And chuckle a lil at the similarity to the July Iran incident.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Take a closer look at the two pictures that are on the FP link. There are many things in the distance shot that do not match up with the close up shot. For one the shadows cast by his right (our left) leg are certainly different in the two photo's. I agree that the shadows do not imply photoshop work, but, they should be consistant in the two pictures (the distance shot and the supposed zoom in shot).

Not really defending him being well and in good health, just commenting on what I see in the pictures.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

Take a closer look at the two pictures that are on the FP link. There are many things in the distance shot that do not match up with the close up shot. For one the shadows cast by his right (our left) leg are certainly different in the two photo's. I agree that the shadows do not imply photoshop work, but, they should be consistant in the two pictures (the distance shot and the supposed zoom in shot).

Good catch.

On the FP site, the top picture is not the recently released one; it’s not the one that’s enlarged below it. It’s an another picture that shows what the shadows should look like, e.g., as you note in the top picture Kim Jong-il’s shadow is at the same angle as the soldiers surrounding him. Conversely in the bottom (enlarged picture), it’s vertical. One also doesn’t expect foliage that green & full in North Korea in November.

If you go to the BBC site, you can see the full image (no trees) and inconsistent vertical shadow by “Dear Leader” relative to the angled shadows of surrounding people at the wide angle.

Admittedly it is confusing, hence why I linked the BBC too.

VR/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

It's certainly been manipulated. Kim has been inserted in place of a soldier wearing a fur cap. Look at the shadow cast by "his" head on the row behind!

The political consequences of a dead or incapacitated Kim could be disastrous in the region due to NKs adherence to the cult of personality in it's leadership.

As such, Kim IS alive and well. Never mind that he's connected to a life support machine the size (and sophistication) of Wales, nor that his temperature is 912 degrees, nor his pulse is 65 beats per month. He's doing fine... At least until he's named a successor.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

But I agree with Amazon, I think he has passed on.

Amazon ?? :o

Amazon and AggieDAve are 1 ?? :o:o

Oh Jesus, what would the kids look like????

I think their avatars look a little alike these days, don't they?

damn that's funny.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...