skybill

Obamamomma gets racked!!

Unfortunately, parents in California can no longer home school their kids (they need a teaching cert).

I wasn't aware of that, but I can't say I'm opposed. A friend homeschools his kids (he says they are "un-schooled). I think they are done a disservice, that will haunt them all of their life.

I found this on the quick, but I've read and heard consistently that home schooled kids produce far superior results than the public school system. From my own observations, the kids of friends of mine that are home schooled, seem to be far more well-rounded as well.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Results-of-Home-Schooling-vs-Public-Schools&id=583831

I agree that home-schooled kids can POTENTIALLY do really well. The unfortunate issue with it is those kids whose parents think that school is an optional thing that they may or may not deal with that day. When parents do it because they genuinely have the ability to do a better job than the local school system could do, fantastic! The fact that so many idiots decide that they want to be "anti-establishment" or whatever and don't want their kids in school to make some kind of ridiculous statement is what really irks me.

FYI, I've been contemplating home-schooling my daughter once she's of school age, but it's because we live in an area with shitty schools and can't afford to move or send her somewhere fancy. From what I've been reading though, they're doing better than they have in past years. If they keep it up for the next few years, I might actually feel like she's getting a worthwhile education by the time she's old enough for school!

FYI, I've been contemplating home-schooling my daughter once she's of school age, but it's because we live in an area with shitty schools and can't afford to move or send her somewhere fancy.

It's a shame that the tax money that's supposed to support your daughter can't be used as credit at a better school of your choice or to support your effort to home school. But that money isn't really for your daughter, it's really for those shitty schools.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You seem to claim that parents should be able to homeschool their child regardless of their own level of education, or their ability to educate their child. Is that not correct?

.jim

I assume you meant this for me even though you replied to yourself.

Who decides if the parents are qualified?

What basis would they use to determine qualification?

If the parents basis for the education at home was the Bible would you disqualify them?

They are the parents after all. If the child is healthy, happy, clean and well fed, do you or the state have a right to educational requirements if all the basics (of health and education) are met?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If the child is healthy, happy, clean and well fed, do you or the state have a right to educational requirements if all the basics (of health and education) are met?

What are the basics of education?

Yes, I believe it is necessary for everyone to receive a certain minimum education to effectively operate within a society.

Yes, I believe that it should be the state's responsibility to guarantee that each child receives that minimum level of education.

I think a requirement along the lines of a state recognized, simplified teaching certificate is a good idea.

Demonstration of general analytical skills, reading comprehension, etc. Perhaps something similar to a GED test.

Once again, the idea is to produce citizens with, at the very least, the minimum education required for them to function within our society. It's hard to succeed if you can't read.

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

If the child is healthy, happy, clean and well fed, do you or the state have a right to educational requirements if all the basics (of health and education) are met?

What are the basics of education?

Yes, I believe it is necessary for everyone to receive a certain minimum education to effectively operate within a society.

Yes, I believe that it should be the state's responsibility to guarantee that each child receives that minimum level of education.

I think a requirement along the lines of a state recognized, simplified teaching certificate is a good idea.

Demonstration of general analytical skills, reading comprehension, etc. Perhaps something similar to a GED test.

Once again, the idea is to produce citizens with, at the very least, the minimum education required for them to function within our society. It's hard to succeed if you can't read.

.jim

Well, most states require a level of testing of the students.

The three R's should be as far as the state should be able to test IMO

I would be very opposed to a teaching cert for home schooling however
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Unfortunately, parents in California can no longer home school their kids (they need a teaching cert).

I wasn't aware of that, but I can't say I'm opposed. A friend homeschools his kids (he says they are "un-schooled). I think they are done a disservice, that will haunt them all of their life.

I found this on the quick, but I've read and heard consistently that home schooled kids produce far superior results than the public school system. From my own observations, the kids of friends of mine that are home schooled, seem to be far more well-rounded as well.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Results-of-Home-Schooling-vs-Public-Schools&id=583831

I have a home-schooled guy in my freshman class right now. Straight "A" grades from his Mom. Looking at his "transcript" I was fascinated with his "A" in Chemistry from a Biblical Perspective. Anyhow, he's not doing all that well now he's away from Mom.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Marc,

If we replied only to posts that "deserved" a reply, you would be very lonely on DZ.com.

probably true!! :D

What for? Incase they are taught to believe something different than you??

So what are the acceptable boundaries for home schooled educational curriculum? Are there any? Provide me some specific examples, I'm trying to understand your arguement.

.jim

3 + 3 = 8 ????

Come on, that was meant only as an insult or jab.

But it's true for values of 3 that closely approach 4.

In fact, 3 + 3 is nearly more than 8.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just to let ya' know if you didn't see it on TV, it aint over till it's over!! Today 11/11/08 the story goes on, interviews with the kid, etc. the "investigation" still in process. The woman claims that the video was "edited" to make her look bad?? I'm just wondering what could have been edited out to make her look "better??" The beat goes on....
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out