jakee

Problems for Ahmedinejad: Interior Minister sacked over fake doctorate.

TEHRAN — The Iranian Parliament voted Tuesday to dismiss a top government minister, another setback for President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad eight months before he faces a presidential election.

Parliament dismissed the interior minister, Ali Kordan, on charges of dishonesty and lying about a fake honorary doctorate he said he had received from Oxford. Of the 247 members present, 188 voted to fire Mr. Kordan, while only 45 voted against dismissal. Fourteen members abstained.

Analysts said the vote underlined the assertiveness of Parliament amid a growing economic crisis. Inflation is running at 30 percent, and falling oil prices — Iran has the third largest known oil reserves in the world — are undermining the government’s budget. The impeachment suggested that Mr. Ahmadinejad could be losing many political allies before the presidential vote next June...

The developments are a further setback for Mr. Ahmadinejad because he will have to get a vote of confidence on his entire 21-member cabinet if one more minister is fired. According to the Constitution, if more than half of the cabinet members are dismissed, all members must face a confidence vote. Mr. Ahmadinejad has dismissed nine ministers in the past three years because they disagreed with his policies.

NYT

The "Honorary Doctorate of Law" is attached. Do you think it would pass 419 quality control?:P:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

And your point is....?

TEHRAN — The Iranian Parliament voted Tuesday to dismiss a top government minister, another setback for President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad eight months before he faces a presidential election.

Parliament dismissed the interior minister, Ali Kordan, on charges of dishonesty and lying about a fake honorary doctorate he said he had received from Oxford. Of the 247 members present, 188 voted to fire Mr. Kordan, while only 45 voted against dismissal. Fourteen members abstained.

Analysts said the vote underlined the assertiveness of Parliament amid a growing economic crisis. Inflation is running at 30 percent, and falling oil prices — Iran has the third largest known oil reserves in the world — are undermining the government’s budget. The impeachment suggested that Mr. Ahmadinejad could be losing many political allies before the presidential vote next June...

The developments are a further setback for Mr. Ahmadinejad because he will have to get a vote of confidence on his entire 21-member cabinet if one more minister is fired. According to the Constitution, if more than half of the cabinet members are dismissed, all members must face a confidence vote. Mr. Ahmadinejad has dismissed nine ministers in the past three years because they disagreed with his policies.

NYT

The "Honorary Doctorate of Law" is attached. Do you think it would pass 419 quality control?:P:D

And your point is....?

A) I think it's very funny (The UK Times article has a gem of a line "He did little to allay suspicions of his academic record by persistently referring to one of Britain's two most prestigious seats of learning as 'the London Oxford University'."):D

B) Iran is a fairly important place right now, and Ahmedinejad a fairly scary character. Bad stuff happening to him merits a mention.

And your point is....?

A) I think it's very funny (The UK Times article has a gem of a line "He did little to allay suspicions of his academic record by persistently referring to one of Britain's two most prestigious seats of learning as 'the London Oxford University'."):D

B) Iran is a fairly important place right now, and Ahmedinejad a fairly scary character. Bad stuff happening to him merits a mention.

Oxford degrees aren't worth having anyway:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ad (b): Ahmedinejad has never scared me because I can understand his line of reasoning. Plus, Iran has been around, in one way or another, for 5,000 yrs...

Now, let's talk about the US and Bush. That really scares me! And unless Obama gets rid of Guantanamo (no ifs, ants, or butts) the first day in office, there is no reason for extending any advanced credit.

And your point is....?

Ad (b): Ahmedinejad has never scared me because I can understand his line of reasoning. Plus, Iran has been around, in one way or another, for 5,000 yrs...

Pretty much everywhere has been around for a long while over 5,000 yrs. That's the nature of geographical areas, they tend to be rather old. The politics of the people living in those areas tends to change much more frequently.