livendive

Oops!

Police shoot and kill a young man who was married last week and expecting a child in December. His crime? Carrying a curtain rod out of his house to chase off some teenagers who had jumped over his fence while fleeing from an officer.

Oops, their bad :|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

This is really a tragedy. It's terrible.

Just out of curiosity, were you looking for a discussion about this?

If so, I really don't think the officer wanted to kill an innocent man or that seeing someone with what could be mistaken for a rifle in the dark would constitute getting "trigger happy". That doesn't change that it is horrible that it happened.
Oh, hello again!

I don't think there's a ton to learn from it, other than reinforcement of the maxim, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

I'm sure he thought he was defending his life at the time. I'll bet there were things he could have done differently. It's a tragedy.
Oh, hello again!

Carrying a broomstick while black - summary execution.

But at least he wasn't shot as many times as Amadou Diallo, who was shot for carrying a loaded wallet while black.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I'm sure he thought he was defending his life at the time. I'll bet there were
>things he could have done differently.

True. Had he been carrying a gun, he might have had an opportunity to kill the officers before they killed him. (Or as they killed him.)

But at least he wasn't shot as many times as Amadou Diallo, who was shot for carrying a loaded wallet while black.

I thought you were a college Perfessor, edumacated and all that.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I thought you were a college Perfessor, edumacated and all that.

Thats what you get for thinking.;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

True. Had he been carrying a gun, he might have had an opportunity to kill the officers before they killed him. (Or as they killed him.)

So they set out to kill an innocent guy then? That's the rule, not the exception?

What exactly do you want to say?
Oh, hello again!

>So they set out to kill an innocent guy then?

Not at all! But surely everyone has a right to self defense, correct?

And sure, the cops would have shot him anyway. But he might have gotten one of them before they took him down. Heck, if the cop had been alone, he might even have wound up still standing. That would have been a good thing, right?

I'm still not really sure what your point is. This sounds like an accident that took place during a heated moment for the officer. I never said the poor deceased guy did anything wrong. I think it was a tragic accident and the officer fired on what he thought was a threat. Given the circumstances, I can see how that happened. It would have been good if it never happened or if everyone survived or if those guys hadn't run or committed the crime in the first place.
Oh, hello again!

No. Then we'd have 2 people shooting it out and possibly killed. As it stands, we have one guy that was accidentally killed. It also would have made it even easier to understand why the officer may have felt threatened. Instead of something that may have looked like a rifle, it would have been one.

Hypothetically, if the guy had shot the officer because it was dark and he saw someone in his yard running towards him with a weapon... I'd be saying the same thing. It's terrible and a very unfortunate accident and I understand how it might have happened.
Oh, hello again!

So in this case, it was better that the innocent victim of a shooting was unarmed. (I actually have no problem with that angle, but I have a feeling there are some people here who might object rather strenuously to that opinion.)

Not better. You asked if it would have been preferable. It would have been preferable if it never happened, but I don't think that him actually being armed or not would have made the situation any better for anyone.
Oh, hello again!

So in this case, it was better that the innocent victim of a shooting was unarmed. (I actually have no problem with that angle, but I have a feeling there are some people here who might object rather strenuously to that opinion.)

Not better. You asked if it would have been preferable. It would have been preferable if it never happened, but I don't think that him actually being armed or not would have made the situation any better for anyone.

It might have made it better for him.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

No. Then we'd have 2 people shooting it out and possibly killed. As it stands, we have one guy that was accidentally killed. It also would have made it even easier to understand why the officer may have felt threatened. Instead of something that may have looked like a rifle, it would have been one.

Hypothetically, if the guy had shot the officer because it was dark and he saw someone in his yard running towards him with a weapon... I'd be saying the same thing. It's terrible and a very unfortunate accident and I understand how it might have happened.

Trent...very soon you'll see that folks like Bill and Kallend don't like law enforcement personnel and always assume the worst about them in any situation. Sad, really. They paint with a broad brush but will have kittens if anyone does it to them.

Destinations by Roxanne

Trent...very soon you'll see that folks like Bill and Kallend don't like law enforcement personnel .

I used to be one:P

I used to be one :P

A kitten?? NO WAY!:) You shoulda left that part in the quote. It'd be funnier.

Anyway, if they do hate law enforcement people, that's their problem. I don't think they do, they just like to argue.
Oh, hello again!

Trent...very soon you'll see that folks like Bill and Kallend don't like law enforcement personnel .

Well that explains it. I heard you weren't too fond of Perfessers either.

Destinations by Roxanne

Well that explains it. I heard you weren't too fond of Perfessers either.

At least I don't use a convicted sex offender as my alter ego, like some people around here.