kbordson

Is there a place for tolerance anymore?

I read SC specifically for the anger, and wonder if I WERE to meet some of the SC posters in person at a DZ after jumping wound they be so argumentative and negative or is that just an internet anonymity thing.

That hit the nail right on the head and sums it up pretty much. It has been my experience that when I confront people about their behavior on DZ.com in person that they are a lot less vocal and in most cases embarrassed to be asked about it. Some of the loudest, most inflammatory people on this site are often the most quite and un- confrontational people in person, even when the same topic is brought up.

There is something to be said for looking another person in the eye when addressing them and having to deal with a live persons responses. The distance the internet brings IMO offers an insight into the true personality of that person and what goes on inside their minds. As people undoubtedly will say the things they are thinking at that moment online to another person that they would not have the balls to say to that person if they were present in the room. I call them keyboard warriors because its easy to be brave and talk smack over the internet. Which is why I tell people to post your responses online as if that person was standing in front of you having the same conversation. Because the reality of it is one day that person just might be standing in front of you.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I read SC specifically for the anger, and wonder if I WERE to meet some of the SC posters in person at a DZ after jumping wound they be so argumentative and negative or is that just an internet anonymity thing.

That hit the nail right on the head and sums it up pretty much. It has been my experience that when I confront people about their behavior on DZ.com in person that they are a lot less vocal and in most cases embarrassed to be asked about it. Some of the loudest, most inflammatory people on this site are often the most quite and un- confrontational people in person, even when the same topic is brought up.

There is something to be said for looking another person in the eye when addressing them and having to deal with a live persons responses. The distance the internet brings IMO offers an insight into the true personality of that person and what goes on inside their minds. As people undoubtedly will say the things they are thinking at that moment online to another person that they would not have the balls to say to that person if they were present in the room. I call them keyboard warriors because its easy to be brave and talk smack over the internet. Which is why I tell people to post your responses online as if that person was standing in front of you having the same conversation. Because the reality of it is one day that person just might be standing in front of you.

but they are all scared you can kill them with a wink:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Tolerance in the SC...I don't think it's here for myriad reasons. Internet forums are pretty hilarious in general. It's a place to banter about and play - on occasion almost intellectually. This is supposed to be fun. A fun sort of intolerance, one might say. I have fun anyway - not a lot of thought required and it's interesting banter. Hell, I turned one thread in here into a training topic. Transcribed it and deleted out the names (except for mine) to protect the innocent. Everyone got a huge kick out of it - it was pretty fucking hilarious.

I like a couple of the people I banter with in here quite a bit in real life, though we disagree on most things politically. Don't know many people I don't like, truth be told - there are some. If I disagree with someone politically, I can still be happy for them and sad for the country if things go their way. Really fucking sad for the country in many cases.

Just because somebody disagrees with you politically doesn't mean you can't be their friend. One of my best friends is an affirmative action supporting democrat - and you should hear us argue in person. Especially after a six pack or three. LMFAO. Need to call his dumb ass when I'm on the East coast tomorrow night, come to think of it.

Politics and discussion upon it can be fun and have venom at the same time. I think its when venom is over-used and used maliciously that it becomes no fun. In the '02, '04, and '06 election cycles the discourse in here ramped up in venom-level and then ramped back down after the elections. This cycle seems no worse than any of them - a bit milder in many regards, though some in particular have been a bit more pointed and venomous than usual. Others less.

I always exit the forum - or any other one - with a smile.

:)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

"Once lead this people into war and they will forget there ever was such a thing as tolerance." Woodrow Wilson

"Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population." Albert Einstein

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Hi fellas,

Sorry to construct such a devastating and scathingly harsh response to a fine and friendly poster like cocheese.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I should be more respectful next time to those who set such a fine example in these forums.

And you're right -- I'm sure that if this were all in person, cocheese would interrupt everyone's conversation and tell people how lame their conversation is...because that, of course, would be a polite and tactful thing to do in person.

But anyhow my response to his post was absolutely uncalled for and COWARDLY and I apologize for it. I will find myself a mound of sand to bury my head in now.

Sincerely, ;)

Paul

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.