Gawain

But that was Forty Years Ago...he was Eight

I'm not really disagreeing with you on this, except on where we are blaming Sarah Palin for this and accusing her of spending recklessly

I agree with you that I wouldn't like seeing govt funds going to stadiums and such, but in this case it was voted for by the citizens. I would much rather this sort of thing be privatized, but nobody had done it and there was enough cry for this from the citizens that they voted to spend their tax dollars on this.

I'm sure there will always be exceptions like your example, but I think if the time is right for the city, a stadium/convention center will usually pay for itself and then some. So although I would rather this sort of thing be privatized, the citizens wanted/voted for it and Sarah Palin decided to listen to the people and that fiscally it will pay itself off, thus the point of her spending is kinda mute.

>except on where we are blaming Sarah Palin for this and accusing
> her of spending recklessly.

I'm not blaming/accusing her of spending recklessly (or at least any more recklessly than San Diego.) Spending is one of the things that politicians do best. Often it's even a good thing.

>Sarah Palin decided to listen to the people and that fiscally it will pay
>itself off . . .

Right. And like I said, sometimes that sort of approach works out. More often it doesn't - which is why we have a debt in the trillions nowadays. I am certain that everyone who proposed those stadiums/redevelopments/convention centers/urban renewals/poverty programs had the best of intentions; history has shown that good intentions alone do not make a project like that successful.

Again, it's not a problem that's unique to her. It is merely a part of how she governs, and one that no one should be surprised by when it reappears in a later role (VP, senator etc.)

OK, let's change the context to that $3M projector McCain complains about. The one in the planetarium in the nation's 3rd largest city, the planetarium that has 400,000 visitors each year.

I think were missing something here Bill. This spending isn't considered wasteful. Its considered an investment, because the tax revenue gained from having a PLANETARIUM will more than pay for its cost and the city/state will profit from it.

Which it will.

I can take it, then, that you think McCain was wrong to gripe about the planetarium projector. A planetarium for which McCain himself has previously voted education funds.

I wonder if 400,000 people a year will use Palin's $14.7Million sports center in Wasilla.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

perfect example is Palin, she has more exec experience than Obama by a long shot but she has been blasted because of the size of the state. Obama has NEVER balanced a budget or made exec discisions but that is ok because he is a dem.

I've never blasted Palin for the size of Alaska, and I've never said she doesn't have enough experience. However I *have* pointed out that in 6 years as mayor of Wasilla, she increased spending by 127% and turned zero long-term debt into $20 million dollars of long-term debt. I consider that bad. I have pointed out that she hasn't got much in the way of educational qualifications...a BA in journalism won't help with anything but spin management, and I've not gotten the impression she's even good at that. Whenever she tries to answer a question without a prepared answer, she reminds me of that south carolina beauty pageant chick from a year or two ago...she seems painfully ignorant of the issues a US executive should be familiar with and awful at trying to make shit up on the fly. The fact that you can see an uninhabited part of Russia from a place in Alaska she's never been gives her foreign policy experience? Being "commander in chief" of the Alaska National Guard gives her foreign policy experience? :S

Personally, I'm voting for the guy who I think will be less fiscally irresponsible, less likely to embarass us on the international front, and most likely to avoid war except as a final resort.

Blues,
Dave

So, the citizens of the town voting for a sports stadium and the ensuing debt is Palin's fault?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ya ever notice that the media has spent more time investigating Joe the Plumber and Bristol Palin (and her Mom) than they have investigating anything about Obama?

No.

Ya ever notice that the media has spent more time investigating Joe the Plumber and Bristol Palin (and her Mom) than they have investigating anything about Obama?

No.

INVESTIGATING, John - not 'covering up'.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No.

INVESTIGATING, John - not 'covering up'.

No.

No. I think Obama's been pretty thoroughly vetted.
I HAVE noticed that Joe the Plumber has given more interviews than Palin though:P