joaocorreia

Copyright, creative commons, patents

Hello,

I see lots of people worried with copyright.

Imagine a guy invents a new propeller that can increase efficiency of climb in airplanes by 50%.
He doesnt want anyone to use it and demands 1 billion for each propeller made.

This is an extreme example but read on.

Everyone loses. Patents and copyright laws are too restrictive.

Copyright means patents, patents refrain evolution because you cant work on top of someone's work, thats bad for the whole society.

I advise everyone to read about Creative Commons
http://creativecommons.org/

and listen the conference of Lawrence Lessig about the world we live in and what copyright laws are doing.

http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/

This is not only about video but everything around us, including evolutions in the equipment we jump, planes, etc !

Share more, be good!

Good jumps
Joao

Copyright and patents have about as much to do with each other as jello and wedding dresses.

The guy that invents the propeller that increases efficiency has the right to sell his concept/idea/prototype/working model for any price he sees fit. Market demand will determine whether he stays in business or not. No one is obligated to invent, create, design, nor develop anything for the public good without being able to profit and benefit from their creation or idea. It's fairly simple.
You imagine it, you should be the beneficiary of your design/creation.

Hello,

Imagine a guy invents a new propeller that can increase efficiency of climb in airplanes by 50%.

in such an extreme example, the patent would be promptly stolen. Which isn't to say it's right.

Patents encourage innovation, reward innovation. Patent trolls, otoh, not so good. Same for lazy clerks at the Patent Office awarding #s for mundane concepts.

But definitely think about reading the differences between patents and copyrights. I think there is a more valid argument to make about the ever increasing length of copyrights now.

I agree with the OP and most of the other rational answers so for in this discussion.

Laws do need to be in place that allow inventors to have prime control over an innovation/invention. But allowing these innovations to be witheld for profit in a less efficient, more destructive manner is huge.

We have all heard the accounts and urban myths of people getting knocked off by large companies that have a strangle hold on the owrld economy...

Ceramic blades in razors is one example I can think of I remembere seeing them on TV in the late 90's but we are still throwing out a razor after 2 shaves or so, 1 if you are a real hair farmer, but the ceramic blade would put schik. wilkinson sword and all those other disposable shaver companies out of business.

lightbulbs are a great example, the very firs light bulb would last longer.

tThis world is filled with un-necessary things that could have been replaced by things that are there and ready, but those that now own the patents refuse to produce them.

Why sell only 1 thing when you can sell hundreds or thousands to the same person?

She's a complicated old world we live in!

I do have a patent by the way there ate links to it in this forum. search patent and you will see.

So I am for and against the idea of patent.

Corruption and greed, as always are the real problems!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Ceramic blades in razors is one example I can think of I remembere seeing them on TV in the late 90's but we are still throwing out a razor after 2 shaves or so, 1 if you are a real hair farmer, but the ceramic blade would put schik. wilkinson sword and all those other disposable shaver companies out of business.

lightbulbs are a great example, the very firs light bulb would last longer.

Those are marketing/revenue decisions, nothing to do with patents.

Those are marketing/revenue decisions, nothing to do with patents.

Without patent law, these innovations and inventions would not be witheld from the public.

So patent law has everything to do with it.

The solution is not so simple but the problem is!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Hello,

Copyright means patents, patents refrain evolution because you cant work on top of someone's work, thats bad for the whole society.

I advise everyone to read about Creative Commons
http://creativecommons.org/

and listen the conference of Lawrence Lessig about the world we live in and what copyright laws are doing.

http://randomfoo.net/oscon/2002/lessig/

This is not only about video but everything around us, including evolutions in the equipment we jump, planes, etc !

Share more, be good!

Good jumps
Joao

As DSE said, copyrights and patents are two totally, completely separate things. Mixing the two up really takes the credibility away from anything else you say because it shows you don't really know what you're talking about.