shropshire

U.K Government (i.e the tax payers!!) to compensate investors in foriegn banks

British savers in Icelandic collapsed bank to be protected with MY MONEY>:(

WTF?

Look, if you're stupid/greedy enough to put your money off-shore and that bank goes under - then suck it up cup cake.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

British savers in Icelandic collapsed bank to be protected with MY MONEY>:(

WTF?

Look, if you're stupid/greedy enough to put your money off-shore and that bank goes under - then suck it up cup cake.

The US is doing the same. All the crooks in one big bed.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I've been following this. I thought it was only the British depositors that they were protecting. At any rate it still sucks. Looks like Iceland will go bankrupt over several of these there.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

You guys are all very insensitive. Why do you hate the Icelanders (Icelandees? Icelandians? Icers? Landicers? Iceaweenians?)

Don't they deserve cars and mortgages too?

Just because they are a different color.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wouldn't put it down as greed - not long back, a lot of popular financial websites were listing Icelandic banks such as Kaupthing as offering the best rates, for simple savings accounts. And of course, they were good deals too......B|

In one sense, it could have been seen as a prudent move. I'm not talking about investing, just simply saving your hard earned money at the most competitive rate.[:/]

Fortunately the FSA will cover the savers loss to an extent, and yes, the Government will cover the rest. Bugger that though - the loan they got off the Ivans should be used!;)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I've been following this. I thought it was only the British depositors that they were protecting. At any rate it still sucks. Looks like Iceland will go bankrupt over several of these there.

It is only the Brits, but they shouldn't be doing even that... It's a foreign bank and these investors chose to make money abroad - tuff titties that it all went bollocks up for them - that's not my problem and I shouldn't be expected to bail them out..

(.)Y(.)

yeah probably, but either way, I owe them nowt. They can Seel the Big Issue if they need extra cash (sensitive, ain't I?)

We owe them nowt. But if you've worked hard at saving money, instead of spunking it all away using loans, daft mortgages and credit cards; well, surely the people who saved with Icelandic banks - because they were no doubt advised to - deserve more sympathy than scorn?

The amount of fuckin' people up to their eyeballs in debt in this country is beyond belief!!! The personal debt of ladies and gentlemen these days is a topic worthy of discussion.

'I want, I want!'>:(

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I agree with that but then it's easy for me (and scorn comes easily on t'internet), I'm not in debt and have spread my meager savings around but I wouldn't expect the government (Tax payers) to cover these, they're my responsibility especially if I put them in a foreign bank.

(.)Y(.)

No worries mate - I actually considered sticking a rather significant sum into Kaupthing.:$

Thank fuck I never. Still, it wouldn't exactly surprise me to see the banks I'm with go tits up any time now - so I went and bought myself a nice new car:)
My neighbour hates it!>:(

edit: Years ago he bought a new BMW X3. It just so happened my mate had just bought a new X5.
I 'borrowed' the X5 whilst my buddy was away - the neighbours face was the ultimate picture - I'm always slagging him off for one upmanship which he utterly denies - yeah, right!:)

You know, I'm a Yank working over here. I was surprised when I moved over to see how much overconsuming was going on. When I was here 90-93 people weren't so much in to that.

Knowing where it was giong in the USA and then seeing it here (and over on the continent too) I had a feeling something like this might happen.

If Iceland goes bankrupt (probably) and several others as well (Eastern Europe isn't too far behind) we'll get the chance to start over cause there won't be much left.

Glad I am a proficient hunter and fisherman. I can farm too. :P

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24073032/

I have a couple of pals up in Hafnarfjordur , a suburb of RVK. I have also jumped at Blondos and Sandskeidi

Landbanki is frozen and no one can withdraw any currency. Britain served the small country with a law that is aimed at terrorists. Wow ! I mean , the Vikings were brutal. But this is 2008.

They mention that there is a lot of worry and anger at a small number of people that are (were) EXTREMELY wealthy. A national collapse....possible.

Argentina , Russia....it's happened before.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.