funjumper101

White Privilege

>Racism is a real, ongoing issue in the USA, like it or not.

I agree 100%. You see it when whites get forgiven for things that blacks are crucified over. You see it when a white student is passed over to give a less qualified black student a slot at a college. You see it when americans hassle hispanics and ask them for "their papers." You see it when latino gangs single out blacks to beat the crap out of.

It is prevalent, but is not nearly as clean, simple and one sided as the author portrays.

You see it when a white student is passed over to give a less qualified black student a slot at a college.

Although I agree with you on most fronts...

I would like to point out that yes it is racism on the most superficial sense. However when any race has had institutional and generational racism against it to the degree that has gone on in this country some steps must be taken to level the playing field. Maybe at some point when things are a little closer to being even we can re access the situation and form policy to make sure the balance doesnt go too far in any one direction.

I just dont feel that making an effort to "bring some maligned races up to speed" is the same as the racism that has gone on in this country for the last 150 years.
take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...

I just dont feel that making an effort to "bring some maligned races up to speed" is the same as the racism that has gone on in this country for the last 150 years.

A hell of a lot longer than 150 years, pretty much twice that long. Started in roughly 1607 although it applies to both blacks and whites at that time. It wasn't until 1657(?) that the color difference came into being and it applied ONLY to blacks and the white "indentured servants" became "freemen."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I was going to say 200+ but I feared the debate of semantics that would rage here in SC. One CAN argue the date it all started so I just figured I would round down as to not lose my point. Few people with any understanding of our history would or could debate 150 years.

However, your clarification helps make my point. The longer it existed the more white privilege whites experience and subsequently the more arbitrary steps that will need to be taken to level the playing field.
take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...

And why isn't every college dropout like Bill Gates, and every refugee like Albert Einstein, and every skydiver like Dan BC or Rook Nelson?

Because some people are smarter, or harder-working, or better physically than others. And holding up an exceptional example as something that we should all be able to do (well, other people -- after all, we're OK) is a little chickenshit.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hmm. So O'Reilly rails on a white girl and white family for the Spears pregnancy. According to the author in the original post, this didn't happen. Criticism is only directed at minorities.

So Vinnie's point - that this is an attack on McCain/Palin, has a lot more credibility. Indeed, this question is worth asking: "who stands to lose from the end of racism?"

This guy will lose a lot. He is making a living as a manufacturer of race-colored lenses. Thus, he must put a racial spin om everything or else he won't have videos put on YouTube.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

> He is making a living as a manufacturer of race-colored lenses. Thus, he
> must put a racial spin om everything or else he won't have videos put on
> YouTube.

That's a spin you can throw on anyone. Bill Cosby is pandering to white racists; his message of black responsibility is just a manufactured issue so he can sell tickets to his talks.

See how that works?

>Racism is a real, ongoing issue in the USA, like it or not.

I agree 100%. You see it when whites get forgiven for things that blacks are crucified over. You see it when a white student is passed over to give a less qualified black student a slot at a college. You see it when americans hassle hispanics and ask them for "their papers." You see it when latino gangs single out blacks to beat the crap out of.

It is prevalent, but is not nearly as clean, simple and one sided as the author portrays.

I agree, the face of racism in America has many different colors.

I'm white... where the heck is my white privilage? I'd like to cash in on it now, because I'm struggling! And I see brown privilage, black privilage, and others, here where I live.

And herin lies the problem, you do and have had advantages as an American with pale skin. The fact that you are totally unaware of the advantages is the issue that eclipses the overt Racism people experience (in my opinion). On a daily basis you have been given the advantage in a situation and just because you are oblivious to it doesnt mean it didnt happen. People with this pespective also develop an entitlement mentality, where these advantages are a baseline and are expected while still feeling like they are on a level playing field. Furthermore if they do not recieve them or they see someone else get a helping hand they feel like they have been slighted and things arent fair.

Im sorry you are struggling, and of course not knowing you we could only guess what the cause of your struggling is. Ill say this if it is because you have been the victim of Racism imagine if this is the way your family had been treated for the last ~250 years, would make it kinda tough to keep up. Yes?

Most people of color that are the recipient of this black/brown/other privilege im sure are struggling just as you are now, BUT so did their parents and grandparents and so on, you get my drift.

Cosby is pandering to white racists; his message of black responsibility is just a manufactured issue so he can sell tickets to his talks.

I agree Cosby was pandering, that is, to that audience for that time, place, and reason. Doesn't mean the message itself "is just manufactured", if by that you mean untrue.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

so, have you ever been to southern california? If not, I would suggest you come live here for a few years, then see if your viewpoint changes at all.

I'm struggling because of choices I have made in life, mainly dropping out of school. I'll admit that, but I don't get things handed to me, because of my skin color, though, that would certainly be nice!
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720