Amazon

'Bubba vote' to hurt Obama

ST. PAUL — The "Bubba vote" and underlying racism will hurt Democrat Barack Obama in key battleground states such as Ohio and Pennsylvania, former House majority leader Dick Armey said Wednesday.
"The Bubba vote is there, and it's very real, and it is everywhere," Armey told USA TODAY and Gannett News Service. "There's an awful lot of people in America, bless their heart, who simply are not emotionally prepared to vote for a black man.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-03-armey_N.htm

Nice. Already starting the excuses.

If you don't vote for Obama, you're racist. Didn't see that one coming.

The OP neither spoke the words quoted in the articles, nor wrote the articles which quoted the speaker, nor did anything more than quote the articles. Dick Armey, who spoke the words in the articles quoted, is a conservative Republican and former Republican Congressman.

There are most likely more people that are going to vote for Obama because of the color of his skin than there is that will vote against him for the same reason.

Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that 10% of any given population actually IS racist.

Counting only the White vs Black numbers (*)
10% of 74% > 10% of 13.4%

Unless you're willing to say that for some reason you think Blacks are significantly more racist than Whites.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The OP neither spoke the words quoted in the articles, nor wrote the articles which quoted the speaker, nor did anything more than quote the articles. Dick Armey, who spoke the words in the articles quoted, is a conservative Republican and former Republican Congressman.

Thank you.

It is amazing what happens when somone actually reads the article posted, as you did, and quite unlike some who immediately jumped to their comfort zone.

There are most likely more people that are going to vote for Obama because of the color of his skin than there is that will vote against him for the same reason.

I believe the converse to be the case. In addition to the "Bubbas", a lot of older, moderate-to-conservative white Democrats, who were born before 1945 AND who are not culturally "Bubbas" will also find themselves unable to vote for Obama. Since I was raised by and have a lot of older relatives and friends in that particular demographic cohort, I think I know pretty well how a lot of them tick; and that being the case, I believe that, all other things being equal, if Obama was white, they'd vote for him. Add them to the Bubbas, and that probably outnumbers all the black voters in the US.

It's a MUTE point,

It's hardly moot; it's crucially relevant, as are all other ideological, demographic and psychological factors that will influence people's votes.

You're not denying that there are groups out there for which this is a factor are you?

HERE's a web site of a group that doesn't endorse Obama and HERE is another.

They're definitely out there.

No shit the KKK doesn't support Obama.

Of course racists exist. It exists on both sides and towards other races. I'm not defending any of it. "The invisible bubba vote" is just dumb. It takes in too many assumptions like, if he were white then those hillbillies would've voted for him. Even if they ignored all political issues, wouldn't those hillbillies still be more likely to vote for a war veteran?

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

It's hardly moot; it's crucially relevant, as are all other ideological, demographic and psychological factors that will influence people's votes.

I agree. The quotes in the article just irritate me.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

I agree. The quotes in the article just irritate me.

I think Dick Armey is speaking politically-incorrect truth every bit as much as Geraldine Ferraro was when she said that Obama's star shined so bright so fast because of the novelty of his being (half-)black.

I for one would like to hear your response to Quade

You-

Quade-
Just for the sake of argument, let's assume that 10% of any given population actually IS racist.

Counting only the White vs Black numbers (*)
10% of 74% > 10% of 13.4%

Unless you're willing to say that for some reason you think Blacks are significantly more racist than Whites.

The most damaging part of racism is not the overt racism but the total dismissal that it IS, will be, or has been even an issue.
take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...

The most damaging part of racism is not the overt racism but the total dismissal that it IS, will be, or has been even an issue.

Sounds like my wife and me talking to my older Democrat parents and my swing-vote mother in law about the real, REAL reason they're uncomfortable voting for Obama. The conversation's far from over.

Sounds like my wife and me talking to my older Democrat parents and my swing-vote mother in law about the real, REAL reason they're uncomfortable voting for Obama. The conversation's far from over.

The problem is the GOP is a historically racist party and if any of today's republicans were to admit that it has been, and still is, an issue they will have to come to terms with the fact that even today the GOP is riddled with scumbag racist ideals. It would then become an ethical dilemma for SOME republican voters, this would effect the base that the GOP counts on to elect their guy. They wouldn't want that, they couldn't win an election on the issues.
take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...

Very odd opinion you have there. I see the Democrats as the historically racist party.

Racists Jack$on, $harpton and Farrakhan have all been stalwart supporters of that party. The party incessantly includes support of racial discrimination under the guise of affirmative action as part of its platform. Its members run like cowards vice state what they support - racial discrimination. They hide like cowards behind the LIE that if you don't support affirmative action, you are a racist (the opposite is indeed true). Time and again they elected a former KKK member in the state of West Virginia.

The fact is that both parties have their racists. The republicans ostracize theirs, whereas the democrats embrace theirs openly out of fear of driving their votes away. There are racists that won't vote for Senator Obama because of his color. Shame on them. There are racists who will vote for Senator Obama because of his color as well. Shame on them too. Both are equally fucked in the head.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Very odd opinion you have there. I see the Democrats as the historically racist party.

Maybe to someone who doesnt see the big picture of how hundreds of years of overt, institutional and generational racism could still have a negative effect on an individual this view would be seen as "odd". But as Ive stated in other posts your view is easy, its not difficult to be a republican you are in the "haves" of course you wouldnt want change so the playing field could be level. Historically in this country republicans have supported pro racist policies and fought to keep them on the books.

If a baseball team is cheating until their team has a 20 game lead then right before league series they all the sudden declare "we wont cheat anymore" and "its a level playing field" that doesn't make it fair, the reality is their team has "the lead".

Although this is quite simplified it is the basic framework for what has happened except on a much larger scale, and here in this world it has been generational. If you cant see the long term affects of this and why SOME policies are needed to re-level the playing field then, well that just proves my point of my previous post...

Please dont get me wrong I dont support Jackson or Sharpton just like I dont support Bush and McCain (the four of them are quite the same to me) but im not afraid to understand that the playing field is NOT level and even though I may lose a little its ok, as a white male I am and have been more likely to get the job AND get paid more than my "equal" black/female counterpart.

Bullshit. Name the pro-racist policies the republicans have supported. It wasn't the Civil Rights Act - they supported in higher percentages than democrats. It wasn't the voting rights act either. Name the policies.

Democrats, in contrast, have chosen to openly support racist policies (affirmative action).

Also, please tell us how GWB, John McCain, and bigots $harpton and Jack$on are in any way the same.

Race has no place in American life or law. It's a non-sequitur. The second a critical mass of people start believing that, the world will be a better place. Discriminatory policies such as those espoused by democrats run counter that fundamental principal of racial equality and should therefore be opposed with fervor.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

There seems to be a lot of righteous indignation these days referring to racism. I recall in the 70's being required to attend Navy "Upwards" seminars designed to reduce the effects of racial predjudice in that service. The cornerstone of those seminars was the premise that if in identifying an individual or a group you used words like "Black" or "White" or "Catholic" or "Jew" you were in essence predjudiced.

That has always stuck with me and so I seem to pick up on it when reading articles. I've included a link to a two particularly interesting articles that speak to the effects of predjudical dynamics in this election. Neither will be viewed in the same light as the one from USA Today, but in fact they are all about how what we think and feel affect our vote. That is, of course, the fundamental premise of the system.

There are no simple, easy, magical, or any other means to address this issue. I have travelled all over the world at length and find bias in all cultures to one degree or another.

I see no useful purpose in focusing on this other than to more closely focus on the real meaning of the polling data. The "Bradley Effect" is just as real as the "Ferraro Effect". Young candidates vs. old, fit vs. handicapped all must deal with some form of predjudice. Attacking that predjudice will not remove it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/12/AR2008091202414.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

http://blogs.wsj.com/politicalperceptions/2008/09/14/palin-stokes-class-war-among-women/?mod=homeblogmod_politicalperceptions

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

There seems to be a lot of righteous indignation these days referring to racism. I recall in the 70's being required to attend Navy "Upwards" seminars designed to reduce the effects of racial predjudice in that service. The cornerstone of those seminars was the premise that if in identifying an individual or a group you used words like "Black" or "White" or "Catholic" or "Jew" you were in essence predjudiced.

Well, there's deliberate prejudice, and then there's "benign" prejudice. You and I are about the same age. My mom, who is in her 70's, is politically and socially a moderate. Even back in the 60s or 70s the last thing she'd want to be thought of was prejudiced. I remember as a teen criticizing her whenever she'd make a point of referring to the race of a person she might be talking about, if that person was black; but she never did that when they were white. Why did I chide her? Because the race of the person was completely irrelevant to the context of that particluar story. So I was trying to sensitize her to the benign prejudice in her description of the person. Eventually, my sister and I created a climate at home in which Mom stopped doing that. "Project Upwards" for my mom was a success.

Attacking that predjudice will not remove it.

Over the short run, maybe not. But if attacking prejudice is done over a long enough time, it can eventually create a sea change in societal norms in which a certain prejudice which was institutionalized yesterday is deemed unacceptable today, or maybe tomorrow. Just like fighting crime, or fighting poverty, or fighting terrorism, or safeguarding the nation against hostile foreign threats, or promoting healthful practices and discouraging unhealthful practices, attacking unfair prejudices does not have Start and Finish thresholds; it's an ongoing practice representing a life's work, to be passed on to each successive generation.

Certain segments of the population are predisposed to vote for cetain candidates-was this supposed to be insightful journalism? The rural working class will be more conservative overall. People slopping at the pubic trough tend to be more liberal.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour