SpeedRacer

where are the anti-mccain smears?

I just wanted to point out that the longer one lives, the older they are likely to be when they die.

That's rather obvious don't you think? A person that dies at age 20 has a zero chance of living to 21.

For example, at thirty-five, there is a 50% probability that I live to be about 77. On the other hand, the average sixty year old can expect to live another twenty years.

But by this "logic" a person at 80 should then have a MUCH better chance of living to 100 and once he gets there it should be an almost sure thing that he lives to 120 . . . and so on?

No. Don't be silly.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I just wanted to point out that the longer one lives, the older they are likely to be when they die.

That's rather obvious don't you think? A person that dies at age 20 has a zero chance of living to 21.

For example, at thirty-five, there is a 50% probability that I live to be about 77. On the other hand, the average sixty year old can expect to live another twenty years.

But by this "logic" a person at 80 should then have a MUCH better chance of living to 100 and once he gets there it should be an almost sure thing that he lives to 120 . . . and so on?

No. Don't be silly.

Uhhh, you are not an actuary are you. Nor do you seem to know of their trade……..

I think your post looks silly here........
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Do you really believe that John McCain is the average 72 year old man??
He suffered terribly with injuries that have had long lasting effects on his body.

8 years ago he might have made it. Now.. not a chance and look what we are then left with..I cant even believe the GOP is thinking like this.. it is CERTAINLY a different kind of party in the 21st Century.

Uhhh, you are not an actuary are you. Nor do you seem to know of their trade……..

I trade in words and logic. The post and logic are what I were addressing. He didn't provide any actuarial tables for reference, why should I take his logic seriously, especially when worded so poorly as to be completely silly.
quade -

Counterbalance that with the idea that he'd ostensibly have the very best medical care available to anyone.

Yeah................. They managed to keep Ronnie Reagan looking like he was alive and well. Hell it broke the 20 year record we had for losing Presidents to death in office. The fact is though that Ronnie was not nearly as damaged as John McCain is.

The only problem with that was how coherent he was in actually running the country instead of the White House Staff that got away with Iran Contra and all the other crap they were pulling with all that Plausible Deniability their boss had.

During the 80's when he was President.. hell he could hardly ever make it thru a cabinet meeting without falling asleep. And the whole Mommy thing and her reliance on Astrology...

There is plenty of evidence that he was already well on his way with Alzheimers while he was in office.

I wasn't clear. Generally, after each year of life, the expected length of the remainder of an American's life (most likely anyone's life, but the data I have at the moment only addresses Americans) decreases by less than one year. In other words, while the average newborn male will die at 74.83 years of age, the average 1 year old male will die at 75.40 years of age.

It makes sense, if you think about it (I'm not in any way implying that you didn't think, Quade). Since people who die between birth and their first birthday are not calculated into the average age of death for those who do live to see their first birthday.

No. But he average male in America that lives to their 100th birthday will live for another 2.02 years.

Source
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Do you really believe that John McCain is the average 72 year old man??

No. Nor do I think the job of POTUS offers only the average amount of stress. If elected, I think he would die faster than the average American 72 year old male. But that doesn't change the fact that, statistically, a 72 year old American male will live another 12.01 years.

For the record, I do not support McCain/Palin.

Does it seem odd to you that they expect 0 males to live to 111, yet continue to show non-zero probabilities of death AND expect them to live another 1.04 years?

Clearly there is something wrong there.
quade -

During the 80's when he was President.. hell he could hardly ever make it thru a cabinet meeting without falling asleep. And the whole Mommy thing and her reliance on Astrology...

There is plenty of evidence that he was already well on his way with Alzheimers while he was in office.

If Ronald Reagan was operating at a lesser capacity due to his age, imagine what he could have been if he was in better health.

He was a far better POTUS than anyone we have ever had since the days of IKE.

Damn what does that say about bubba?

If Ronald Reagan was operating at a lesser capacity due to his age, imagine what he could have been if he was in better health.

The only thing Reagan did very well as President was act presidential. In reality, he was a lousy POTUS.

imagine what he could have been if he was in better health.

When Reagan took office in 1981, taxes were ~$517 billion and spending was $591 billion, for a deficit of $74 billion. When he left office in 1989, taxes were $999 billion and spending was $1.14 trillion. The national debt rose by almost 2/3's while he was in office. If you consider this a success than I can only imagine what your household budget looks like.

Anyone can borrow and spend. You dont fix money problems by throwing more money at it, especially borrowed money.
take a deep breath, relax and don't clinch your teeth together, it will all be over in a couple of minutes...

McCain has been given a clean bill of health by his doctors.'

Anyway, back to my orginal post. My point is, there has been a whole slew of outright bullshit rumors thrown at Obama, such that a website had to be put up to debunk them one by one.

Where is the website debunking a slew of lies about McCain? Or is there no need for one, since fewer bullshit rumors are being floated about McCain?

someone here pointed out that people are harping on the idea that Mccain is old. I believe he was right in saying people are overplaying Mccain's age. But are there people coming up with outright lies & rumors about McCain? If so, where are they?

Where's the whole "He's a Muslim!" or "He's a terrorist sympathizer!" or "He won't say the pledge of Allegiance" equivalent with those who oppose McCain?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Where's the whole "He's a Muslim!" or "He's a terrorist sympathizer!" or "He won't say the pledge of Allegiance" equivalent with those who oppose McCain?

Are you kidding? The bastard consorted with Communists for 5 years during the Vietnam War, while living at their expense at a Hilton.

I was ok with McCain and voted for him in the primary here in Washington. Since then he got in bed with the religious right and fundamentalists as well as his support of a 100 years war. His selection of Palin has appalled me. Her support for the extreme right positions she carries unqualifies her in my mind and she certainly does not have what we need in a president. I was VERY curious who each candidate was going to choose as a running mate. I believe that neither Obama nor McCain can make it through 4 years, so the VP choice was crucial for me.

I thought McCain would understand what it means to send off his children to war. But if all he can do is promise us a future where my grandchildren will be fighting in this idiotic war without end.. then I can no longer support him.

Absolutely. I thought it was a brilliant strategy the day he did it. Probably the only strategy that would be effective.

What about Condoleezza Rice?

Or Oprah Winfrey, or Robin Roberts, or Janet Jackson, or ...
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

McCain has been given a clean bill of health by his doctors.'

Anyway, back to my orginal post. My point is, there has been a whole slew of outright bullshit rumors thrown at Obama, such that a website had to be put up to debunk them one by one.

Where is the website debunking a slew of lies about McCain? Or is there no need for one, since fewer bullshit rumors are being floated about McCain?

someone here pointed out that people are harping on the idea that Mccain is old. I believe he was right in saying people are overplaying Mccain's age. But are there people coming up with outright lies & rumors about McCain? If so, where are they?

Compare:
www.snopes.com/politics/mccain/mccain.asp

with

www.snopes.com/politics/obama/obama.asp

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you kidding? The bastard consorted with Communists for 5 years during the Vietnam War, while living at their expense at a Hilton.

Yeah, and he married a blond with big tits who has been in the brewery business, and he can't count the houses he owns. This is all a front for the Manchurian candidate.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

> Do you believe that mccain supporters are running a dirtier campaign
>than obama supporters?

Yep, which is why, in the end, McCain will win. (Heck, even Karl Rove, the king of dirty campaigning, thinks McCain has gone too negative.) Obama is proceeding on the theory that people are more interested in policy than attack ads, but numerous studies have shown that negative campaigning works. The sound bite will always win over the foreign policy analysis.

Obama could still win this. He could start an ad campaign that hits on points like:

McCain wants to raise taxes on middle class americans
McCain voted to cut spending for veterans seven times
McCain supports partial birth abortions

But I have a feeling he won't.

> Do you believe that mccain supporters are running a dirtier campaign
>than obama supporters?

Yep, which is why, in the end, McCain will win. (Heck, even Karl Rove, the king of dirty campaigning, thinks McCain has gone too negative.) Obama is proceeding on the theory that people are more interested in policy than attack ads, but numerous studies have shown that negative campaigning works. The sound bite will always win over the foreign policy analysis.

Obama could still win this. He could start an ad campaign that hits on points like:

McCain wants to raise taxes on middle class americans
McCain voted to cut spending for veterans seven times
McCain supports partial birth abortions

But I have a feeling he won't.

First off, I enjoy you are building an excuse to loose already
Second, do you think an add about McCain not being able to use email and issue add?

(so you know, McCain cant type because of his injuries which I am sure Obama did not know before "he approved the add"

On another note, do you think Obama has lost it already?
Abraham Lincoln

McCain cant type because of his injuries which I am sure Obama did not know before "he approved the add"

I'm not sure that is the reason. I'd go with, "because he doesn't have to or want to." Face it, it's WAY easier to have an executive secretary do all that crap.

LOTS of people with disabilities FAR worse than John McCain's use email on a daily basis.

From http://www.hawking.org.uk/text/disable/disable.html

Before the operation, my speech had been getting more slurred, so that only a few people who knew me well, could understand me. But at least I could communicate. I wrote scientific papers by dictating to a secretary, and I gave seminars through an interpreter, who repeated my words more clearly. However, the tracheostomy operation removed my ability to speak altogether. For a time, the only way I could communicate was to spell out words letter by letter, by raising my eyebrows when someone pointed to the right letter on a spelling card. It is pretty difficult to carry on a conversation like that, let alone write a scientific paper. However, a computer expert in California, called Walt Woltosz, heard of my plight. He sent me a computer program he had written, called Equalizer. This allowed me to select words from a series of menus on the screen, by pressing a switch in my hand. The program could also be controlled by a switch, operated by head or eye movement. When I have built up what I want to say, I can send it to a speech synthesizer. At first, I just ran the Equalizer program on a desk top computer. However David Mason, of Cambridge Adaptive Communication, fitted a small portable computer and a speech synthesizer to my wheel chair. This system allowed me to communicate much better than I could before. I can manage up to 15 words a minute. I can either speak what I have written, or save it on disk. I can then print it out, or call it back, and speak it sentence by sentence. Using this system, I have written a book, and dozens of scientific papers. I have also given many scientific and popular talks. They have all been well received. I think that is in a large part due to the quality of the speech synthesizer, which is made by Speech Plus. One's voice is very important. If you have a slurred voice, people are likely to treat you as mentally deficient: Does he take sugar? This synthesizer is by far the best I have heard, because it varies the intonation, and doesn't speak like a Dalek. The only trouble is that it gives me an American accent. However, the company is working on a British version.

I have had motor neurone disease for practically all my adult life. Yet it has not prevented me from having a very attractive family, and being successful in my work. This is thanks to the help I have received from Jane, my children, and a large number of other people and organisations. I have been lucky, that my condition has progressed more slowly than is often the case. But it shows that one need not lose hope.

Stephen Hawking

Now, if you're willing to say John McCain isn't in the same mental league as Stephen Hawking, I don't think you'd get many people that would disagree, but it's not the disability that is keeping John McCain away from email.
quade -

McCain cant type because of his injuries which I am sure Obama did not know before "he approved the add"

I'm not sure that is the reason. I'd go with, because he doesn't have to or want to. LOTS of people with disabilities FAR worse than John McCain's use email on a daily basis.

From http://www.hawking.org.uk/text/disable/disable.html

Before the operation, my speech had been getting more slurred, so that only a few people who knew me well, could understand me. But at least I could communicate. I wrote scientific papers by dictating to a secretary, and I gave seminars through an interpreter, who repeated my words more clearly. However, the tracheostomy operation removed my ability to speak altogether. For a time, the only way I could communicate was to spell out words letter by letter, by raising my eyebrows when someone pointed to the right letter on a spelling card. It is pretty difficult to carry on a conversation like that, let alone write a scientific paper. However, a computer expert in California, called Walt Woltosz, heard of my plight. He sent me a computer program he had written, called Equalizer. This allowed me to select words from a series of menus on the screen, by pressing a switch in my hand. The program could also be controlled by a switch, operated by head or eye movement. When I have built up what I want to say, I can send it to a speech synthesizer. At first, I just ran the Equalizer program on a desk top computer. However David Mason, of Cambridge Adaptive Communication, fitted a small portable computer and a speech synthesizer to my wheel chair. This system allowed me to communicate much better than I could before. I can manage up to 15 words a minute. I can either speak what I have written, or save it on disk. I can then print it out, or call it back, and speak it sentence by sentence. Using this system, I have written a book, and dozens of scientific papers. I have also given many scientific and popular talks. They have all been well received. I think that is in a large part due to the quality of the speech synthesizer, which is made by Speech Plus. One's voice is very important. If you have a slurred voice, people are likely to treat you as mentally deficient: Does he take sugar? This synthesizer is by far the best I have heard, because it varies the intonation, and doesn't speak like a Dalek. The only trouble is that it gives me an American accent. However, the company is working on a British version.

I have had motor neurone disease for practically all my adult life. Yet it has not prevented me from having a very attractive family, and being successful in my work. This is thanks to the help I have received from Jane, my children, and a large number of other people and organisations. I have been lucky, that my condition has progressed more slowly than is often the case. But it shows that one need not lose hope.

Stephen Hawking

Now, if you're willing to say John McCain isn't in the same mental league as Stephen Hawking, I don't think you'd get many people that would disagree, but it's not the disability that is keeping John McCain away from email.

So I guess you think that this is somehow related?
Abraham Lincoln

So I guess you think that this is somehow related?

Yes. Yes, I do. It's directly related to being disabled and using computer technology to communicate.

If you can't see that, then I can't help you.
quade -