RkyMtnHigh

Recreating the Big Bang?

It's been an exciting day here. The stated goal for the day was just to get a beam around in both directions. When I woke up this morning I saw cooling problems in the tunnel, exactly what could put the project on hold. These problems were quickly fixed, though, and within a few hours a beam made it three times around the ring before being dumped.

The other direction proved a little more difficult but rthey got it in the end. The status right now is that they managed 13 turns on beam 2. You can follow the status here:

http://ab-dep-op.web.cern.ch/ab-dep-op/vistar.php?usr=LHC

The program for the next couple of days is giving the beam some structure so it can be focused. Collisions won't be for another week or two.

A couple of pretty pictures from "my" experiment:

http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/GROUPS/OPERATIONS/prodSys/atlasoracleadmin/10Sep2008/beam/index.php

Congratulations to all at CERN, I am officially jealous. Very, very nice work.

You are working on this project? That is truly the shit!:)

Yep, these days it is rather fun (though a bit hectic). As for webcams, here are three links from ATLAS

Control room
Underground
Underground

My desk in the control room is the one closest to the camera. Try clicking on the picture logs to get an idea of the sizes of things.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Have you seen any results from the "experiment"? If so, please share.

We may have woken up in a parallel universe this morning and not even realized it.

Parallel to what?

Why never a perpendicular Universe?

Do you want the real answer or the joke one?

Both, I want it all.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I'm thinking that The Big Whoosh (I think it's a better name, and though it is rude to call things by a name that the namer did not pick, since it's not an animal I hope there are no hard feelings) as described and accepted by most who know about this stuff, had as it's constituent ingredients all of the energy (and therefore of course matter) in the Universe.

Therefore, I would not expect the reactions caused by slamming a handful (and volume-wise that is being extremely generous) of elementary particles together to be anything like The Big Whoosh.

I mean, you're comparing the coming into existence of everything that has ever been to bouncing a few hadrons and leptons off of each other.

I mean, look at the size and sensitivity of the detectors they need to build and use just to see if ANYTHING happened!

I mean, this is like those little tiny towns where if you happen to be tuning the radio at the wrong time, you miss the town entirely. If the team collectively blinked at the wrong moment the whole experiment might go totally unnoticed.

Whackos everywhere think the very fabric of space and time are going to be tore open and swallow the Earth; then the whole thing is for naught because Arvid the Main Man at the video monitor took his eyes off the screen for a moment to swat the fruit fly that rode in on his half-rotten banana from the bag lunch he had to bring in because his same sex life partner Bob insists that spending $5 at the in-house cafeteria from the little pay they get, especially when you consider they are trying to answer the big questins about Life, the Universe & Everything; could be much better spent purchasing rolls of aluminum foil so that they can make protective headgear for everybody down at the GLADHANDS Clubhouse. (Arvid and Bob are the founding chair and interim treasurer at the local chapter of the Gay & Lesbian Agnostic Dyslexics Hoping A New Dimenion Shimmers).

But I digress.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley