RkyMtnHigh

Recreating the Big Bang?

What part do you not think is possible; to build such a device, to create particles, that scientists from India are participating?

I'm confused by your post, which, btw, is a little redundant, we've been talking about the LHC here for quite awhile.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Have you seen any results from the "experiment"? If so, please share.

No, of course i haven't! They haven't even turned it on yet!

That said, I have seen the results of smaller experiments in smaller colliders. The LHC is simply one that is bigger and more powerful. Hopefully powerful enough to confirm or deny the existence of a (currently theoretical) particle in particular called the Higgs-Boson. It's really the only particle in the current theory that is unaccounted for observationally. With the LHC, we -may- discover other particles as well which could change the current model of how the universe began. And if the LHC does not produce a Higgs-Boson . . . that's also pretty freekin' interesting because, well, it's supposed to!

Imagine you had this theory of something knocking on your rooftop every night and you thought it was one thing and you wanted to catch it in the act to prove it. So you set up a camera and if anything knocks on your rooftop, you get a picture, but the picture turns out to show nothing knocking . . . wow . . . or something knocking you never expected . . . wow again!

Gotta wait a few months for this thing to get fully operational though and even then . . . it's going to be awhile before there's a paper published giving any "proof" because . . . well . . . it's really a big deal and they aren't going to wanna screw it up!

BTW, if you haven't seen it yet . . . check this out!
quade -

This is the bes device ever built to recreate the theorized conditions that were present nanoseconds after the big bang. They are hoping to find particles, maybe even te Higgins Bosun.

But to me, the cool stuff will be when something occurs that they didn't predict. THAT will be some understanding. What if it turns out that they created a different universe? Or that they created a fusion reaction that resulted in more power out than power in? What if they created dark matter or dark energy?

THAT would be something awesome. And they're giving it a shot. I look at it as almost childlike curiosity: "Let's smash particles together at 5 mph below the speed of light and see what happens."

I think it's awesome. Will they recreate the big bang? No. Not enough matter to recreat anything but a small bang (Small by big bang standards, that is).

And there's no way the place is gonna be destroyed. Half of it is in Switzerland, and Switzerland is neutral.;)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Well, since they haven't actually collided any of the super-speed particles yet...I wonder if there's a pool on whether Europe or the earth gets sucked into a black hole...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well, since they haven't actually collided any of the super-speed particles yet...I wonder if there's a pool on whether Europe or the earth gets sucked into a black hole...

Be a bit bloody hard to collect if it does:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't get the black hole stuff. I'm ignorant in physics, but I always thought of a black hole as a huge mass that collapsed (3+ solar mass Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit?) because of gravity exceeding forces that would have prevented electron degereration at a rate that the collapse became infinite. So, is this collapse coming from the masses being "banged", or is this a naked singularity, or is this Star Trek gone batnuts?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

We may have woken up in a parallel universe this morning and not even realized it.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

We may have woken up in a parallel universe this morning and not even realized it.

I did hear that the first "test" was successful. But I will admit I do not know what that "test" was.

(the am radio news was the source. ABC I think)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

It's on the other side of rushmc's mirror.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Ouch:o

You wake up grumpy this AM??;)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Apparently data is pouring in so fast that their computer networkd are having a hard time keeping up with it. Looks like the LHC is ahead of its time as far as our computing technology goes!

Whoever these window lickers are who think that the LHC is going to destroy the world really need to either shoot themselves or go back to school.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Ouch:o

You wake up grumpy this AM??;)

Just curious: Have you guys ever met?

They could have saved a lot of money by just running the two of you into each other. :P

I did hear that the first "test" was successful. But I will admit I do not know what that "test" was.

(the am radio news was the source. ABC I think)

I think they just ran some paritcles in both directions to make sure the thing worked. The actual experiment will not take place for a while, yet.

Parallel to what?

Why never a perpendicular Universe?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Parallel to what?

Do you want the real answer or the joke one?
quade -

Parallel to what?

If it were perpendicular we would know, in a parallel universe it's really really really hard to tell.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

It's been an exciting day here. The stated goal for the day was just to get a beam around in both directions. When I woke up this morning I saw cooling problems in the tunnel, exactly what could put the project on hold. These problems were quickly fixed, though, and within a few hours a beam made it three times around the ring before being dumped.

The other direction proved a little more difficult but rthey got it in the end. The status right now is that they managed 13 turns on beam 2. You can follow the status here:

http://ab-dep-op.web.cern.ch/ab-dep-op/vistar.php?usr=LHC

The program for the next couple of days is giving the beam some structure so it can be focused. Collisions won't be for another week or two.

A couple of pretty pictures from "my" experiment:

http://atlas.web.cern.ch/Atlas/GROUPS/OPERATIONS/prodSys/atlasoracleadmin/10Sep2008/beam/index.php
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...