livendive

FY09 Federal Deficit estimated at $406 billion

Rich does not equal Republican. Poor does not equal Democrat.

Would you agree?

We can agree on that... BUT on the whole. the tax structure in this country FAVORS those who indentify themselves as rich.

And many of those.. as a percentage VOTE in such a way to maintain that status.

No. It's what I could think of in 30 seconds.

Would you agree?

Statistically - no, I'm sure there's a strong correlation. In individual cases - yes, I agree (such as my own case).

I

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Would you agree?

We can agree on that... BUT on the whole. the tax structure in this country FAVORS those who indentify themselves as rich.

The tax structure in this country favors the poor, with the lowest two quintiles having negative real income tax rates due to refundable tax credits while the wealthy pay up to 43%.

Although one can claim that dividends are taxed at a lower rate than earned income, this isn't the case because most C-corp profits have been taxed at 34% before the left overs are taxed again at the 15% dividend rate thus yielding an aggregate rate over 43%.

When it comes to capital gains, the poor are exempt while the wealthy pay 15% on long term capital gains.

The poor's favorable treatment carries forward into retirement, where they get a better return on their investment in Social Security. Where those at the top only have 24.8% of their wages replaced by social security up to the cap, those at the bottom who are being taxed at the same rate have a 53.6% replacement and the average worker has 39.9% of his working wages covered at retirement.

You can argue about whether this is good (the poor would literally starve if taxed at the same effective rate as the wealthy) or bad (when you're not paying income tax there's no direct incentive to be against increased spending that the taxes that should go with that) but can't contradict the simple numbers.

Would you agree?

The tax structure in this country favors the poor, with the lowest two quintiles having negative real income tax rates due to refundable tax credits while the wealthy pay up to 43%.

Although one can claim that dividends are taxed at a lower rate than earned income, this isn't the case because most C-corp profits have been taxed at 34% before the left overs are taxed again at the 15% dividend rate thus yielding an aggregate rate over 43%.

When it comes to capital gains, the poor are exempt while the wealthy pay 15% on long term capital gains.

I wasn't aware that many poor people HAD any capital gains. Or is that what you mean by "exempt"?

I can't imagine many of the people I see sleeping under the overpasses in Chicago have a whole lot of investment income. I seriously doubt that there are many rich eccentrics who like sleeping on the streets in a Chicago winter.

It is a fact that earned income ( the predominant income of the middle class) is taxed at a higher rate than unearned income (which tends to be the predominant income of the rich). Which is why Warren Buffett's secretary pays tax at a higher rate than he does (according to him).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What Drew said.

The tax code favors the poor over the rich. I'm waiting for someone to suggest that we tax the poor. Who is in favor of that?

Would Amazon suggest that we increase the taxes on the poor? If not, then she is on favor of a fundamental unfairness.

Perhaps we should tax the poor like we tax the rich - then well see hpw many complaints we get from people arguing that the poor are being treated unfairly.

This argument would then be ended.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The tax structure in this country favors the poor, with the lowest two quintiles having negative real income tax rates due to refundable tax credits while the wealthy pay up to 43%.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>When it comes to capital gains, the poor are exempt...

(that's because they don't have shit)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The poor's favorable treatment carries forward into retirement, where they get a better return on their investment in Social Security.

All of a sudden I feel lucky to not have any of that pesky capital to have to contend with. In fact, can I send you what little I have so I'm no longer burdoned?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I'm waiting for someone to suggest that we tax the poor. Who is in favor of that?

I would suggest you are.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Perhaps we should tax the poor like we tax the rich - then well see hpw many complaints we get from people arguing that the poor are being treated unfairly. This argument would then be ended.

Wait, I know, let's tax the piss out of the rich, it'sd more fun to talk about and hear the whining. :D

Actually, I am not in favor of taxing the poor. I was asserting that if we tax the poor the way that we tax the rich, there would be shock at that treatment. This would indicate that the poor receive the most preferential tax treatment.

As far as taxing the piss out of the rich, well, that's another common suggestion. It certainly would have the punitive effect that so many look for.

It is like the song "Change the World" by Ten Years After. "Tax the rich
Feed the poor
Till there are no
Rich no more."

It isn't about "till there are no poor no more.". It's about elimination of the rich, making everyone poor. Then true equality will be reached, ensurong everyone is equally miserable.

Some find that to be a noble goal. I think that to be an ignoble goal.

My wife is hotter than your wife.