livendive

FY09 Federal Deficit estimated at $406 billion

Out of control spending and less tax revenue...GWB FTW!

Throw blame at Congress also! They are the ones who have to fund all the BS pork projects. I thought the Democrats said they were going to get the spending under control. I guess it was all lip service once again. New faces, same old shit!>:(
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Out of control spending and less tax revenue...GWB FTW!

Throw blame at Congress also! They are the ones who have to fund all the BS pork projects. I thought the Democrats said they were going to get the spending under control. I guess it was all lip service once again. New faces, same old shit!>:(

Agreed. While I believe the primary blame lies with GWB, Congress doesn't get a free pass. They approved this ridiculous budget and haven't done anything to help fund it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Think that's it? I think it will end up being more. Public debt has not decreased in a long, long time (yes, I know El Jefe Clintonista had a surplus; debt did not decrease - deal with it).

Adding entitlement programs will not make the debt go down. Nor will making corporate taxes so draconian that multinationals are driven out of country taking jobs along with them.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Agreed. While I believe the primary blame lies with GWB

Really? I put most with Congress. They are the ones who slip in spending bills and funnel money to their own litle projects. Seems pretty simple to me. If I dont have extra cash I dont go out and buy a $10,000 entertaiment system. Dont spend what you dont have. Congress acts like a college students with 10 credit cards in the back pocket. I will pay for this later. Makes me sick to think about it!

the biggest add-ons in the past Administration is the tax cuts, and the Iraqi war. While I think the Democrats rolled over on this in 2007 when they finally had a say, the fact is that the President can send assets out, and it's nearly impossible for Congress to force their return by cutting funding. First established by TR at the beginning of the 20th Century.

Bush drove both of these projects, so Congress can't get more blame for them than he does.

It's only a good deal if you can afford it. A $5,000,000 house that's selling for $3,000,000 is a good deal, too. But not for me.

Printing money doesn't mean that you can spend all you want any more than having checks in your checkbook means you can.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I believe that while the POTUS has some of the blame, the VAST majority of the blame goes to Congress. This is because Congress spends money. The Executive Branch just spends the money the way Congress tells it to spend money.

The POTUS proposes a Budget. Congress then works with the proposal as the "proposal" and cuts and adds to it. Congress then passes the budget as a "law" and POTUS enforces that law.

Bearing that in mind, the POTUS cannot spend one cent without Congressional approval. Not one penny.

The Budget it the responsibility of Congress. This is why, "Clinton balanced the budget" is similar to saying "GHWBush won Gulf War I." Yes, he was involved, but it was the military that did it.

With the budget growing out of control, there seems to be no political party with the anatomy to actually fix it. The Dems went on about "change." It appears that it is merely lip service.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Really? I put most with Congress. They are the ones who slip in spending bills and funnel money to their own litle projects. Seems pretty simple to me. If I dont have extra cash I dont go out and buy a $10,000 entertaiment system. Dont spend what you dont have. Congress acts like a college students with 10 credit cards in the back pocket. I will pay for this later. Makes me sick to think about it!

The 2009 budget includes approximately 2.65 trillion dollars in outlays. I don't have an estimate of FY09 earmarks, but the total in FY08 was approximately 16.5 billion dollars. That's about 0.6% of the total budget, and 4% of the deficit.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

The 2009 budget includes approximately 2.65 trillion dollars in outlays. I don't have an estimate of FY09 earmarks, but the total in FY08 was approximately 16.5 billion dollars. That's about 0.6% of the total budget, and 4% of the deficit.

Then cut in other places to! Pork is just the tip of what can be cut.

The POTUS proposes a Budget. Congress then works with the proposal as the "proposal" and cuts and adds to it. Congress then passes the budget that is usually not that far off from the proposal as a "law" and POTUS enforces that law.

Clarification above. Also, doesn't the President have veto authority of the "law" (i.e. budget) that Congress sends back to him if he doesn't approve of the changes? My understanding is that generally speaking, POTUS writes a budget, Congress plays with it a bit and sends it back for POTUS approval (or veto, as the case may be).

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I believe that while the POTUS has some of the blame, the VAST majority of the blame goes to Congress. This is because Congress spends money. The Executive Branch just spends the money the way Congress tells it to spend money.

As Dave reminds us, the Executive Branch has veto authority. It just refused to use it until the Democrats tried to cut spending in Iraq.

The POTUS proposes a Budget. Congress then works with the proposal as the "proposal" and cuts and adds to it. Congress then passes the budget that is usually not that far off from the proposal as a "law" and POTUS enforces that law.

Clarification above. Also, doesn't the President have veto authority of the "law" (i.e. budget) that Congress sends back to him if he doesn't approve of the changes? My understanding is that generally speaking, POTUS writes a budget, Congress plays with it a bit and sends it back for POTUS approval (or veto, as the case may be).

Blues,
Dave

Yes. Indeed the POTUS has veto power. And Congress has the authority to:
1) Make changes and resubmit;
2) Vote to override the POTUS veto.

If the POTUS does not sign the budget that Congress submitted, then there may be issues. Recall back in the end of 1995, Clinton and Congress could not agree with each other regarding the budget, which resuted in two separate US government "shutdowns" in the winter of 1995.

Remember that this issue concerned the budget for fiscal year 1996. In 1995, the GOP Congress was seeking spending cuts and tax cuts. The big issue with the GOP was a "balanced budget." So did Clinton. Clinton wanted targeted spending cuts. The GOP wanted across-the-board.

Both sides dug in their heels and duked it out for over six months. I credit the President and Congress for standing up to each other. And you know what? The budgets that resulted were the best ones of the past 40 years in terms of balance.

on the interview last night with Obama on fox they said revenue was up 20 percent over Clinton's term.

Try again, after correcting for inflation and population growth (more people paying taxes).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The president has a VETO. How many times did he use it in 2005, the year with the highest number of earmarks EVER, when the GOP had control of both the House and the Senate?

(Hint, it's a nice ROUND number)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The president has a VETO. How many times did he use it in 2005, the year with the highest number of earmarks EVER, when the GOP had control of both the House and the Senate?

Oh dont worry, I put blame on him also. But the Congress who knows how much they can spend and know that the country is broke are the ones who dont care and put that shit in the bills to begin with. I want the next president to have to ask for another veto pen because the one he is using just ran out of ink. Spend more than we got. Heres your veto! Try again.

(Hint, it's a nice ROUND number)

Well, by jove, you have hit on something! Congress has blame, too! They gave Bush everything he wanted, and in exchange, he wouldn't veto anything they wanted. How about that, eh?

It sounds a lot like THIS Congress with the president. And unlike the Congress of the mid-late 90's who showed some balls and said "NO" and a president in the mid-late 90's who said "NO."

How many tims did Clinton veto from 1993-1994?

But the Congress who knows how much they can spend because the POTUS told them soand know that the country is broke are the ones who dont care and put that shit in the bills to begin with.

Umm...the President puts the VAST majority of spending in the budget. Congress just doctors it up and adds even more shit afterwards.

I want the next president to have to ask for another veto pen because the one he is using just ran out of ink. Spend more than we got. Heres your veto! Try again.

I agree with you on that part!

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)