skittles_of_SDC

How is it not illegal...

to put people in jail for refusing to serve as a juror? They can fuck off if they think I'm gonna miss class to serve on a jury. Where the hell were the checks and balances when they came up with this one?:S
If I wasn't afraid of jail I'd crumple up the summons throw it in the judges face and yell 'fuck you'. But i am afraid. Sorry for bitching but I'm just so pissed.

to put people in jail for refusing to serve as a juror? They can fuck off if they think I'm gonna miss class to serve on a jury. Where the hell were the checks and balances when they came up with this one?:S
If I wasn't afraid of jail I'd crumple up the summons throw it in the judges face and yell 'fuck you'. But i am afraid. Sorry for bitching but I'm just so pissed.

It's so easy to get out of it isn't funny. Sheesh
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's so easy to get out of it isn't funny. Sheesh

It is so easy to get out of jury duty that you end up with people on a jury that are too stupid to get out of jury duty.

Would you want to be the defendant in front of that jury? I did't think so...

If you are a smart person, try to get on a jury. Before you go, read up on jury nullification and act accordingly.

My fellow citizen, with all genuine respect to you:

Jury duty is an extremely important civic duty without which a core facet of a civilized justice system would not exist. And, I should point out that, most of the time, instances of genuine hardship are excused or accomodated.

Please read this related thread - and I reiterate here the posts that I made there - and then take several deep breaths, cool off, and reconsider your position.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3085549#3085549

But I'll bet you'd piss and moan if a bunch of fucking MORONS showed up to jury duty if YOU were on trial. :S

If you ever want to complain about the quality of the people who make jury decisions like in the OJ Simpson or Robert Blake trials, remind yourself that you like it when smart people can get out of jury duty, and that you think jury duty is beneath you and people should be able to say "fuck you" to doing this civic duty.

Trial by a jury of your peers is one of the blessings of a democracy, and you are taking a big shit on it. Nice. :|
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

100% agree. Civic service is not s'posed to be fun, it's a duty to give back to your society, and in this case to help preserve the rights of our population.

OP - Get on with it and quit your whinning.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I wonder why my name never comes up for jury duty and others have been summoned numerous times:S

For me, they probably cross-reference the list with my Life NRA membership, and won't seat me on a jury because they know I'm the "throw-the-book-at-'em" type. :D

The more of 'em we throw the book at, the fewer trials we'd end up having because more criminals would be put away for longer; and fewer judges, defense attorneys and prosecutors would make money. :S
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

I wonder why my name never comes up for jury duty and others have been summoned numerous times:S

Maybe you're a problem child :P

Naw, I have voted, every chance I get, registed with DMV and do everything I can to be public, yet me either. My GF, who works for the cops, gets summoned evry 2-3 years, I don't think it's random. I did get summoned once for lower court, I was working/going to school so I got out of it.

it would be one thing if they needed me for a couple days but I got a grand jury summons which means 1 day a week for 3 months. I would fail most classes due to lack of attenance because of that. Then I'll be one of those idiots that can't get out of jury duty.

Auotmatic excusal, don't worry dude.

But I'll bet you'd piss and moan if a bunch of fucking MORONS showed up to jury duty if YOU were on trial. :S

If you ever want to complain about the quality of the people who make jury decisions like in the OJ Simpson or Robert Blake trials, remind yourself that you like it when smart people can get out of jury duty, and that you think jury duty is beneath you and people should be able to say "fuck you" to doing this civic duty.

Trial by a jury of your peers is one of the blessings of a democracy, and you are taking a big shit on it. Nice. :|

As much as I hate the verdict, the OJ verdict was the right one....with that said, of course he was guilty.

I work for the State Judiciary and have the utmost respect for the process and institution.

I was just called for Jury Duty last month for the 3rd time in as many years. I never make it through voir dire because of my professional connections to the attorneys who are/used to be connected in some way (prosecutors, public defenders, etc.) of the munipal court where I used to be a Deputy Court Adminstrator, and I have tried to get excused because of work related projects, but it hasn't always worked in my favor.

About 8-9 years ago I was picked for Grand Jury. Like you said, I think it was a few months of service, 1 day a week. My Judge tried to get me excused because we were a small court, medium caseload, but I still had to serve. And it was pretty moot that I was picked because I had to abstain from probably 80% of the cases because either I was the one who ISSUED the warrant or summons, my fiance was the complaining officer, my brother was the complaining officer, or I had knowledge that the defendant was a frequent flier.

But you know what they say..... a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich. I know that's not true, but you may hear that a lot. ;)

Here's a way to look at it ---------- maybe you'll make some little hottie at your service. Good luck!
:)
Always be kinder than you feel.

it would be one thing if they needed me for a couple days but I got a grand jury summons which means 1 day a week for 3 months. I would fail most classes due to lack of attenance because of that. Then I'll be one of those idiots that can't get out of jury duty.

I doubt that you'd fail your classes because of jury duty. My bet is that you can keep up your grades with just a little effort even if you're not sitting in the lecture hall for every lecture.

If you try to find a way to make it work out, I bet you'll be able to do it. If you're determined that there's just no way, you'll not find a way. Right now, while you're a student, would be a great time to serve on a jury, imho.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I'll be 25 in 2 months, and have never been summond. some friends have been summond several times.j

To get out of it, bring with you are large book. you don't have to read it, just have it, and open it.. they will see you with it, think you are smart, and excuse you.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I'll be 25 in 2 months, and have never been summond. some friends have been summond several times.j

To get out of it, bring with you are large book. you don't have to read it, just have it, and open it.. they will see you with it, think you are smart, and excuse you.

That is a myth, as I explain in detail in the thread linked in Post #8 above. For the most part, smart people don't just "get excused" from their civic duty, they're just often smart enough to get themselves excused from (i.e., successfully shirk) their civic duty.

I doubt that you'd fail your classes because of jury duty. My bet is that you can keep up your grades with just a little effort even if you're not sitting in the lecture hall for every lecture.

If you try to find a way to make it work out, I bet you'll be able to do it. If you're determined that there's just no way, you'll not find a way. Right now, while you're a student, would be a great time to serve on a jury, imho.

linz

you misunderstood me, what I meant was that they actually take attendance in ALL my classes and if you miss too many they will fail you out of the course. it doesnt have to do with knowing the material it has to do with being dropped for missing too many classes.

so you think i should have to serve even though it would mean me being involuntarily dropped from at least a couple of my courses maybe all?
your done talking now.