doug925

FUCKING CRIMINALS!

BTW, I am taking your response as being facetious. ;)

I wouldn't be so certain. Most people believe in the concept of criminal negligence.

What are the state laws regarding carrying weapons in your car and ensuring their security?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

On a brighter note, I heard back from my insurance agent.
They will cover my losses.

So, off the the gun show @ the GRB this weekend to buy the wife a new one. (I would have had to even if they didn't cover it)

Now I just have to decide whether or not to jump Saturday, and gun show on Sunday, or vise versa. ;)

I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

Quade,

I am in Texas. The gun laws concerning car carry are pretty lax now that we passed HB823 concerning "traveling status"

We can carry a gun concealed in the car, and it is on the State to prove that we are not. As opposed to the burden of proof being on the defendant as it used to be.

You can pretty much carry a gun in the car unless:
1. you are not permitted to own a gun
2. you are a gang member
3. you are in the act of committing a crime

As far as ensuring its security, I don't think there is any law regarding the "car"

Rememebr, this was a crime against me. They unlawfully came on my property, and stole from me at night.

In Texas, that will constitute "justifiable use of deadly force"

Meaning, if I had seen them, they could be shot!

However, I'm glad THAT did not happen.

I shudder to think out all of the possible scenarios. :|:|[:/]

Winston Churchill

As far as ensuring its security, I don't think there is any law regarding the "car"

Oh really? If someone gets harmed with that gun, watch how fast you get sued. Yes, even in Texas.

You did nothing more than get briefly careless, without any intent to cause anyone grief - a very human thing which we all do. But that's exactly what negligence is: a simple mistake, without any malicious intent. And so that alone does not shield you from potential civil liability for negligence. (No offense intended.)

Last night I forgot to close the garage door, and this morning my baby Glock 26 with night sights, and a Lasermax guiderod is gone from underneath the seat.

That gives the rest of us pro-gun people a hell of a black eye.

Ditto that.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

No, I left my gun under the seat (where it lives) in a closed, but unlocked car, with the garage door open. (Like a dumbass!)

I never really thought about locking the car while in the garage. But bet your ass I will now.

(I'll probably take my gun out at night too!)

Well, why would you not?! >:(

Why would you ever deem it appropriate to leave a firearm in an unattended car, locked, unlocked, or otherwise?

I frown vehemently on the notion of leaving a gun in a vehicle.

I really hope you'll never do it again. Do you see why it was a bad idea? I'm wondering, because you said you'll "probably" take the gun out at night. :S

If this lesson cannot be put through to you in the manner in which it went down, then I fear the lesson may be in vain, period.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Last night I forgot to close the garage door, and this morning my baby Glock 26 with night sights, and a Lasermax guiderod is gone from underneath the seat.

That gives the rest of us pro-gun people a hell of a black eye.

I was thinking two black eyes and a broken nose

Not until it turns up in a criminal homicide. For now, it's just a black eye. [:/]
Imaginations on fire

Certain folks in SC might suggest you ought to be criminally liable for committing such an act. Do you agree?

No. As much as I condemn leaving the gun in the car (what the fuck is so hard about taking it in with you when you go into the house?!), WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CRIMINAL ACTS OF OTHERS. [I]PERIOD[/I].

How would you like to be held criminally liable for what carnage someone wreaks with your stolen automobile? :S
Imaginations on fire

So you won't feel the least built guilty, let alone responsible, if you find out some 14 year old kid shot and killed his little brother witu your glock? We all know children have sticky ass fingers. Every parent needs to understand that.

"Children" should not be fucking BREAKING INTO PEOPLE'S HOMES AND STEALING PROPERTY FROM THEM.

WTF?! Do YOU have every item you own that could conceivably be used to kill or injure someone locked down so that a person who enters your home illegally cannot take it from you?

Once again, I condemn the idea of leaving a gun in the car because it is FOOLISH -- but the gun owner is in no way responsible for the foolish things a THIEF might do with it!

Please explain how you make that leap. You could say that Doug925 could have done the responsible thing and not left the gun out there. But then I could say that the THIEF could have done the responsible thing and NOT BEEN A [I]CRIMINAL[/I]. I think I have the trump card, there. A gun left around where there is no one willing to commit the crime of stealing it will not be used to harm. Absent the gun, that person with criminal intent can and will find a crime to commit, and a tool to use in doing it.
Imaginations on fire

Oh really? If someone gets harmed with that gun, watch how fast you get sued. Yes, even in Texas.

You did nothing more than get briefly careless, without any intent to cause anyone grief - a very human thing which we all do. But that's exactly what negligence is: a simple mistake, without any malicious intent. And so that alone does not shield you from potential civil liability for negligence. (No offense intended.)

You are aware, aren't you, that there is "negligence" and "criminal negligence"? You can say "watch how fast you get sued," but that doesn't mean anyone would get past summary judgment, when Doug925 demonstrates that someone criminally came into his residence and criminally deprived him of his property.

A criminal act breaks the chain of liability. Don't you know that? This was not the same as recklessness, like leaving a gun on the table of the food court at the mall...
Imaginations on fire

Birdlike if I read you correctly, you don't think the idea of leaving the gun in the car fulltime is a good one huh?;););):P

I DID in remove my gun when I got home last night.
I got complacent, and I got lazy in regards to taking it out at night.[:/]

Winston Churchill

You are aware, aren't you, that there is "negligence" and "criminal negligence"? You can say "watch how fast you get sued," but that doesn't mean anyone would get past summary judgment, when Doug925 demonstrates that someone criminally came into his residence and criminally deprived him of his property.

A criminal act breaks the chain of liability. Don't you know that? This was not the same as recklessness, like leaving a gun on the table of the food court at the mall...

That's not correct. Yes, in the absence of a statute making it criminally negligent, I, too, doubt that Texas would prosecute this as criminal negligence. But in my professional opinion, having practiced for 25 years, the anticipatable risk caused to exist by the negligence is the very thing that happened: the gun being taken w/o the owner's permission, and any harm that results thereby. Now some states do have statutes imposing presumptive civil liability for the consequences of failing to safely secure a firearm. I don't know if Texas does w/o taking the time to look it up. But such a statute simply makes it easier to sue, it's not a necessary gateway to suing. So even absent such a statute, I'd predict that about 80% of trial judges would rule that the criminal act did not break the chain of liability, and accordingly let that cause of action proceed beyond a defense motion for summary judgment, and on to trial. My personal experience with Texas is that while most people strongly believe in permissive gun rights, they are also pretty strict about responsible ownership, and intolerant of sloppy owners who make the rest of them look bad - and those are the people that would be on a jury.

We can pull back on the useage of the term "irresponsible";)
Leaving a gun in the car is NOT irresponsible gun ownership.
It is just leaving a gun in the car. Period.

I also do not buy it gives ANYTHING a black eye.
Let's not be overly dramatic.
It is just like leaving a knife, or a pen, or a rock in your car.

Anything ~can~ be used to kill a person.

To be honest, you can beat somebody to death with a briefcase, but I'll bet you've left it in your car before.

I made a mistake, and I lost my property because of it.

What the future holds for the thief regarding that gun, would have happened anyway. If not with my gun, then with whatever gun he aquired any other way.

Winston Churchill

We can pull back on the useage of the term "irresponsible";)
Leaving a gun in the car is NOT irresponsible gun ownership.
It is just leaving a gun in the car. Period.

I also do not buy it gives ANYTHING a black eye.
Let's not be overly dramatic.
It is just like leaving a knife, or a pen, or a rock in your car.

Anything ~can~ be used to kill a person.

To be honest, you can beat somebody to death with a briefcase, but I'll bet you've left it in your car before.

I made a mistake, and I lost my property because of it.

What the future holds for the thief regarding that gun, would have happened anyway. If not with my gun, then with whatever gun he aquired any other way.

(Sounds like "whistling in the dark forest.....")

That's exactly why our strict gun laws were invented: To avoid people like you keeping guns in such an irresponsible modality.

In my country that would cost you: Your hunting license, your drivers license, your skydiving license, your pilot license - and a lot of money. And you never will regain a hunters license again (which is precondition to buy weapons legally). Oh well, last but not least: All your further weapons will be confiscated.

Reason: You're not responsible enough to carry a deadly weapon. Figure that out for the rest of your licenses.

Harsh conditions, right?

:|

edited for typo

dudeist skydiver # 3105

No, I left my gun under the seat (where it lives) in a closed, but unlocked car, with the garage door open. (Like a dumbass!)

Wow. I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but this is certainly not an example of it.

I hope that you've learned a lesson, and I hope that no one ends up getting hurt with the gun that was stolen.

Wow. I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but this is certainly not an example of it.

I hope that you've learned a lesson, and I hope that no one ends up getting hurt with the gun that was stolen.
My Glock stays locked and loaded right next to me at nite. Anytime I go anywhere it's hidden w/ the magazine in my pocket. Kids around and all that. In Ca. anyway. Sounds like one big fuckup. The other guns are LOCKED UP somewhere. Sure someone's gonna get hurt w/ (that doesn't deserve it) that one.[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Birdlike if I read you correctly, you don't think the idea of leaving the gun in the car fulltime is a good one huh?;););):P

I DID in remove my gun when I got home last night.
I got complacent, and I got lazy in regards to taking it out at night.[:/]

You have a sense of humor; I respect that

You learn from mistakes; I respect that

I hope you don't let these folks get to you as far as "omg think of the carnage that your gun could be out there doing now" bullshit. YOU are not responsible for the decision a kid makes to break in; steal a gun; use it against someone. That kid could walk to the corner gas station, fill up a jug, get a pack of matches, and burn down a house with 8 kids inside, if he wanted to kill someone, and nothing would stand in his way. You did NOT arm someone who would never have otherwise gotten hold of a gun. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't safeguard your own guns, of course, from now on.
Imaginations on fire

That's not correct. Yes, in the absence of a statute making it criminally negligent, I, too, doubt that Texas would prosecute this as criminal negligence. But in my professional opinion, having practiced for 25 years, the anticipatable risk caused to exist by the negligence is the very thing that happened: the gun being taken w/o the owner's permission, and any harm that results thereby. Now some states do have statutes imposing presumptive civil liability for the consequences of failing to safely secure a firearm.

I think you need more "practice." And I fundamentally disagree with laws that punish people for having someone break into their home and takes what doesn't belong to him. Fortunately, it doesn't look like Doug is subject to such a law.

I don't know if Texas does w/o taking the time to look it up. But such a statute simply makes it easier to sue, it's not a necessary gateway to suing. So even absent such a statute, I'd predict that about 80% of trial judges would rule that the criminal act did not break the chain of liability.

Well, then, what if some criminal broke into your home and stole your ax and your chainsaw and your 8" butcher knife from the block in the kitchen, and people were killed with them? You didn't have them locked up, and they are certainly weapons.

I can't believe that you seem to agree that every home ought to be Fort Knox or else if someone deliberately breaks in, and deliberately steals from it, the homeowner is liable for what happens!

and accordingly let that cause of action proceed beyond a defense motion for summary judgment, and on to trial. My personal experience with Texas is that while most people strongly believe in permissive gun rights, they are also pretty strict about responsible ownership.

I would shake my head and "tsk" loudly, but I would not find for the plaintiff if Doug were sued for this "negligence." THE THIEF is the one responsible. What if Doug had his gun in a safe, but the safe was stolen, and cracked, and the thief got the gun? Would Doug be "negligent" because he hadn't bolted it down, or installed shatterproof windows and reinforced steel doors?
Imaginations on fire

(Sounds like "whistling in the dark forest.....")

That's exactly why our strict gun laws were invented: To avoid people like you keeping guns in such an irresponsible modality.

Yes, Germany is doing such a great job keeping guns out of the wrong hands :S

In fact, criminal shootings never happen in Germany!

In my country that would cost you: Your hunting license, your drivers license, your skydiving license, your pilot license - and a lot of money.

That is truly fucked up. In your fascist country, if your gun is stolen by a determined criminal, they will ruin your life and take from you a host of other rights and licenses unconnected with having the gun stolen from you. What a shithole, I am so glad I have never visited that evil country.

Reason: You're not responsible enough to carry a deadly weapon. Figure that out for the rest of your licenses.

Oh, so every skydiver who's had a DUI or DWI should permanently lose his/her skydiving license, I guess. Way to whittle down the skydiver population, I would bet. :S

I guess if someone throws a punch in a fight and gets charged, he should have all of his guns, vehicles, kitchen knives, yard implements, and tools confiscated. I mean, if he uses his fists to hurt people, "figure it out for the rest of his tools and weapons." :S

Harsh conditions, right?

Well, yeah, intolerably, fascistly harsh. But it's what I would expect from Germany, and it's why I steer clear of that evil place.
Imaginations on fire

Well, yeah, intolerably, fascistly harsh. But it's what I would expect from Germany, and it's why I steer clear of that evil place.

Pretty brave talk coming from an anonymous account.

How about toning that down a bit?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver