doug925

FUCKING CRIMINALS!

what a stupid move. i see it as crimanal negligence.
why do you need a gun in the car at night? the car aint going to defend itself.
and why the night scope?
people with your attitude is the reason the liberals are always whining about guns.
have you reported the missing gun to the cops?

I believe he said "Lasermax," not "night scope"...

He already said that he reported the theft.

Why don't we cut him some slack. He did admit to what he did, and he did say he'll correct his mis-approach to securing his guns in the future. Why don't we give him that chance?

I, too, think it was foolish to leave a gun in the car for any significant length of time. But even law enforcement officers do stupid shit like this from time to time. I've also read about them leaving guns on top of their cars and driving off, losing them!
So. that makes it OK because he's LEO. He needs to lose his badge. IMHO And. I won't go there[:/]
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

No, I don't think it makes it ok because he's LEO.

I think he should lose his badge... oh, wait, the thief took care of that for him, at least in the literal sense.

I see, you're looking to push me into agreeing with chrastilsebeni, saying that people should lose claim to every privilege that involves being trustworthy and responsible when they screw up.

Well, the cop left his gun IN VIEW in a CAR that was OUT IN PUBLIC. Not parked in a garage. I see that as just the first of many differences in the situations.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Well, the cop left his gun IN VIEW in a CAR that was OUT IN PUBLIC. Not parked in a garage. I see that as just the first of many differences in the situations.

An unlocked car in a wide open garage in the middle of the night?!.... Sounds just as inviting for the sort of people whom are looking for this exact situation to take advantage of.....
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

But for a person who is relatively naive, but who has good intentions, philosophically it's not that big of a deal I guess, because it's the criminal (the one who STOLE the gun, not the one who left it in such an easily-stealable place) who is responsible for what he does with it.

Too bad that it was so easy to snag one out of someone's seat. Otherwise, the laws we have in place would have prevented this criminal from owning a gun legally.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

BTW, you may not be aware of this, but a lot of the rest of the world views US as being pretty barbaric. I'm nearly certain that attitudes such as you've shown in your previous post do nothing to change that.

It's funny how they still manage to want to come here: to live, to get an education, to sightsee, to get medical care, etc. We're such barbarians! I guess everyone loves a barbarian. Look, Arnold Schwartzenegger is governor of one of our largest states! :o

But what was in my "previous post" that was so barbaric?? Did you mean "posts"?
Not only do they come here to live, the first thing my German friends in Houston did was to buy pistols. Quite an age difference between them: one fought on the Eastern Front and is now a Texan, the other, a young engineer, went home and later moved to Spain. Both had bought HHKs. The older guy took the 9mm back and exchanged it for a .45 (nice choice).
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

An unlocked car in a wide open garage in the middle of the night?!.... Sounds just as inviting for the sort of people whom are looking for this exact situation to take advantage of.....

And when they do, they are the ones who have done wrong, committed the crime.

Or is that still a debatable assertion? :S
Imaginations on fire

Not only do they come here to live, the first thing my German friends in Houston did was to buy pistols. Quite an age difference between them: one fought on the Eastern Front and is now a Texan, the other, a young engineer, went home and later moved to Spain. Both had bought HHKs. The older guy took the 9mm back and exchanged it for a .45 (nice choice).

SEE how evil we Americans are! We brainwash the Germans who visit us and send them back with GUNS!

If we do this enough, the world might finally get to see what the sweet, peace-loving people of Germany will attempt to do if they acquire enough armament... :S
Imaginations on fire

BTW, you may not be aware of this, but a lot of the rest of the world views US as being pretty barbaric. I'm nearly certain that attitudes such as you've shown in your previous post do nothing to change that.

It's funny how they still manage to want to come here: to live, to get an education, to sightsee, to get medical care, etc. We're such barbarians! I guess everyone loves a barbarian. Look, Arnold Schwartzenegger is governor of one of our largest states! :o

But what was in my "previous post" that was so barbaric?? Did you mean "posts"?

Wow. Is it that easy for aliens to obtain a hand gun over there ??? Jeez. Seems, you guys sell your deadly weapons to everybody.

Seriously, I doubt that, let's say, I doubt that story.

Furthermore, the "Germans" surely will have big troubles to leave your wonderful country with weapons in their luggage and also, to enter ours (with hand or other guns).

Re Arnold Schwarzenegger: If such a ... let's say: simple ... actor is able to become a gov in your country: that speaks volumes. But, not about him. He's not the first actor to fill a position in higher policy, IIRC.

Looking forward to next story ............. :ph34r:

dudeist skydiver # 3105

To no-one in particular:

Seems funny to me that those who justify gun ownership as protection against CRIMINALS should be whining about being held liable if said CRIMINALS get hold of their guns. If your weren't anticipating CRIMINALS who steal stuff (and guns are near the top of their favorites list), then your justification for gun ownership vanishes.

According to US DoJ figures, some 300,000 reported gun thefts occur each year from "law abiding gun owners". They don't know how many more are stolen but not reported for various reasons.

Anyhow, we here have one more example of a gun entering hands of criminals, enabled by a "law abiding gun owner".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And when they do, they are the ones who have done wrong, committed the crime.

Or is that still a debatable assertion? :S

yes the person who stole the gun is the one who has done wrong... but....There where active criminals in the area as his car had already been broken into. To know that and then leave a golden ticket to the thief to grab himself a gun... yes i think he is just as much his fault and doesnt deserve to carry another firearm!

So, a victim of a crime bears some responsibility for the crime? Don't cherry pick, it's either yes or no.

reply]

Every crime is different and its not as black and white as that im afraid.... Sometimes a a victim definatly bares some responsibility for the crime other times not!

So, a victim of a crime bears some responsibility for the crime? Don't cherry pick, it's either yes or no.

Its more like the victim of a crime bears responsibility for a further crime.

That's even more ridiculous.
Imaginations on fire

I'll cherry pick if I want to, Mr. no name supplied.:P

Ahh, "misdirect and attack, misdirect and attack."

What the fuck does that have to do with what he asked?
Imaginations on fire

>So, a victim of a crime bears some responsibility for the crime?

Per at least one poster here, a woman who does not fight as hard as she can while being raped bears at least some responsibility for whatever happens afterwards.

I said that it's one thing to consider. It does not blame her for being raped. You might be shocked, but I still fully blame the rapist for that.

At the same time, I challenge the wisdom and intelligence of women who go out and get fucked up drunk, because surely prior to doing that they know that a woman in a drunken stupor can have all manner of nasty things done to her while her ability to spot and defend against aggression (sexual and otherwise) is suppressed.

So yes, some people contribute to the ease with which they are victimized, but that does not put the blame for becoming victims on them. That still belongs to the victimizer.

To recap:

- a gun owner is not responsible for someone choosing to steal his gun, but still can be said to have contributed to the ease with which his property was stolen

- a gun owner is not responsible for what the criminal later does with that gun

- a woman is not responsible for herself being raped, but still can in some circumstances be said to have contributed to the ease with which she was victimized

- a woman who is raped does not have an obligation to stop, maim, disable or kill her assailant, but when contemplating whether to do so while she has the opportunity and justification, ought to consider future victims just like herself.
Imaginations on fire

Why is it more ridiculous?

If, for example, a construction worker at the end of the day leaves the keys in the ignition of a bulldozer and someone then hops in the bulldozer and, because of the keys being in there, joyrides and does a ton of damage..why *shouldn't* the construction worker bear some responsibility? maybe not criminal charges, but certainly some kind of civil liability.

I think that with certain rights/privileges comes a heightened level of responsibility that applies in the exercise of those rights/privileges.

If, for example, a construction worker at the end of the day leaves the keys in the ignition of a bulldozer and someone then hops in the bulldozer and, because of the keys being in there, joyrides and does a ton of damage..why *shouldn't* the construction worker bear some responsibility? maybe not criminal charges, but certainly some kind of civil liability.

I think that with certain rights/privileges comes a heightened level of responsibility that applies in the exercise of those rights/privileges.

I am sick of the attribution of criminal wrongdoing to the people who did not commit the crime!

It's not a crime to leave the keys there, right? So whatever someone does after criminally taking possession of those keys is the one responsible.

There can be no logical end to the path you are attempting to put us on with this. Soon, if a woman is walking around with a diamond necklace, and it's snatched from her neck by a mugger, and he sells it for cash with which he buys a gun on the black market, you'll say that she bears responsibility for the killings he commits with that gun because she did not safeguard the diamond necklace that got him the cash to buy the gun to use to kill people!

WHERE [I]CAN[/I] THIS ABSURD "LOGIC" END?
Imaginations on fire

I am sick of the attribution of criminal wrongdoing to the people who did not commit the crime!

It's not a crime to leave the keys there, right? So whatever someone does after criminally taking possession of those keys is the one responsible.

There can be no logical end to the path you are attempting to put us on with this. Soon, if a woman is walking around with a diamond necklace, and it's snatched from her neck by a mugger, and he sells it for cash with which he buys a gun on the black market, you'll say that she bears responsibility for the killings he commits with that gun because she did not safeguard the diamond necklace that got him the cash to buy the gun to use to kill people!

One wonders where said gun on the black market came from. One of the 300,000+ guns stolen annually from careless "law abiding gun owners", no doubt.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

One wonders where said gun on the black market came from. One of the 300,000+ guns stolen annually from careless "law abiding gun owners", no doubt.

It could have been stolen out of a police evidence room. Sold to a criminal by a corrupt cop (possibly after being pilfered from a police evidence room, or taken off a criminal suspect whom he later let go). Stolen from a police equipment locker (this happened to a large number of Glocks from the State Parks Police on Long Island back in the mid-late '90s, I recall). Bought legally by a gang member who does not as yet have a criminal record, then sold to a criminal because the gang member doesn't care.

Lotsa ways. Not all of them involve "negligence" by a law-abiding gun owner. Use your imagination. I know it's not as much fun for you as just knee-jerk blaming ordinary gun owners, but...
Imaginations on fire

Anything ~can~ be used to kill a person.

A handgun is explicitly designed to kill a person. Nobody is going to steal your silverware and use it to rob or kill someone else.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Anything ~can~ be used to kill a person.

A handgun is explicitly designed to kill a person. Nobody is going to steal your silverware and use it to rob or kill someone else.

It may not be "silverware" but people don't use knives to commit armed robbery, and murder people?

Most murders with knives, according to what I've read, employ kitchen knives -- very often either a steak knife or a butcher-type knife.
Imaginations on fire