akarunway

Ban pitbulls or guns?

I would advocate people to educate themselves on their state's laws. Not by watching TV, but buy reading the laws as written, reading some of the major case law and consulting their lawyer.

I'm a strong personal rights advocate and I believe people have a right to defend themselves from harm, just as they have a right to defend their property.

How's that for an answer?:P

I am so glad you are a police officer, you don't even know. :)
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Since noone else has said it: ;)

Pit bulls with guns are bad. Four legged creatures brandishing firearms are generally a bad idea.

We should ban pitbulls with guns.

If approached by a pitbull with a gun, shoot it with a bazooka.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Since noone else has said it: ;)

Pit bulls with guns are bad. Four legged creatures brandishing firearms are generally a bad idea.

We should ban pitbulls with guns.

If approached by a pitbull with a gun, shoot it with a bazooka.

You know what's bad? Dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you!

Also, according to Jack Handey, "Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see."
Imaginations on fire

Is a dog on you RIGHT NOW?!? Holy shit, dude, stop posting on dropzone.com and deal with that dog on your arm!!!

What? There isn't a dog biting through your bone right this second? Anyone else having that problem right now? No? Good. Then now would be a sensible time to plan ahead to make sure you don't ever have a large dog biting your head.

You act like it is either/or proposition. It is possible to both plan ahead and deal with unexpected crises.

I know it is difficult for the simple minded to understand, but keeping problems from developing in the first place is almost always a better idea than waiting until they are upon you to act.

Just like when you are attacked by an armed mugger, don't shoot him, support politicians who will invest tax money in education and vocational programs.

You're right. It is illogical to both support proactive crime prevention and punish criminals. I bow to your superior Internet fantasy world black and white reasoning ability. No sarcastic emoticon needed.

- Dan G

Is a dog on you RIGHT NOW?!? Holy shit, dude, stop posting on dropzone.com and deal with that dog on your arm!!!

What? There isn't a dog biting through your bone right this second? Anyone else having that problem right now? No? Good. Then now would be a sensible time to plan ahead to make sure you don't ever have a large dog biting your head.

You act like it is either/or proposition. It is possible to both plan ahead and deal with unexpected crises.

I know it is difficult for the simple minded to understand, but keeping problems from developing in the first place is almost always a better idea than waiting until they are upon you to act.

Yeah, but until say 20 years from now when the changes start to really help (as though we have a formula that we believe is going to accomplish that) what the fuck do people do NOW, if confronted by the robber at the ATM, or the mugger in the parking lot? Your ethereal "let's make the world better" stuff does not accomplish a real-world solution in the here-and-now.

Just like when you are attacked by an armed mugger, don't shoot him, support politicians who will invest tax money in education and vocational programs.

You're right. It is illogical to both support proactive crime prevention and punish criminals. I bow to your superior Internet fantasy world black and white reasoning ability. No sarcastic emoticon needed.

Yeah, go with smarmy. Smarmy works. :S

Meanwhile, what should a crime victim do TOMORROW?

You chose to not understand that that was my point.
Imaginations on fire

Yeah, but until say 20 years from now...

Very few dogs live to 20 years. Try to stay on topic, Mr. knee-jerker.

I've already answered your stupid question. It's not my fault that the answer to, "What do you do when attacked by a dog, " is not, shoot at it.

When alll you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Put down your arsenal and go make some skydives.

Your ethereal "let's make the world better" stuff does not accomplish a real-world solution in the here-and-now.

Are you reading any of this thread, or just posting the same bullshit you post in all the threads? The question was about dealing with aggressive dogs. I've provided some very practical advice. The most practical advice I think I've given it that firing shots at a dog once it has engaged in an attack is fucking stupid.

By the way, you assume that because I don't think that guns are the answer to every problem that I am somehow anti-gun. The opposite is, in fact, true. I firmly believe in every American's right to bear arms, I just don't think that a firearm is a good, or even sensible, solution to the problem of aggressive dogs. I know its hard to understand, but people can disagree with you and not be pinko, commie, liberal, flower children.

- Dan G

Yeah, but until say 20 years from now...

Very few dogs live to 20 years. Try to stay on topic, Mr. knee-jerker.

How did you get this confused?? :S

Where the hell did you get the idea that I was talking about a dog living 20 years? I was talking about waiting 20 years for social changes to take care of the crime problem, meanwhile what do people do NOW if victimized.

YOU need to try to keep up. But I'm about to stop bothering trying to keep you kept up.

When alll you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

That must be why I've discharged my firearm in public so many times. :S

That must be why so many of the other gun owners represented here are using their "hammers" to fire "nails" at so many people.

Put down your arsenal and go make some skydives.

More idiotic hyperbole--as if I'm walking around with "my arsenal."

By the way, you assume that because I don't think that guns are the answer to every problem that I am somehow anti-gun. The opposite is, in fact, true. I firmly believe in every American's right to bear arms, I just don't think that a firearm is a good, or even sensible, solution to the problem of aggressive dogs.

I'm glad to know you're pro-gun. I hope you are an NRA member, doing your part to support THE group that has been protecting our rights all this time.

I do know of people who have had their lives SAVED by a gun against a vicious dog. Are there other alternatives? Of course. I just don't prefer them. But when I go skating around the neighborhood, I have a collapsible baton (legal with my license) as well as my gun.

One time, a small-medium sized dog ran across a yard toward me as I turned the corner, on my skates. The owner was busy gardening. As the dog, unleashed and unpenned, barked and ran toward me, the guy called out a yell and it stopped. I, meanwhile, had raised my baton and was poised to use it defensively before I would have resorted to getting the gun out.

As the dog stopped, and I began skating away, I yelled out to the guy, "Good way to lose a dog! >:(

I know its hard to understand, but people can disagree with you and not be pinko, commie, liberal, flower children.

Did I call you that??
Imaginations on fire

I, meanwhile, had raised my baton and was poised to use it defensively before I would have resorted to getting the gun out.

If someone were to raise a baton in order to strike my dog, my dog would rely upon his training and remove the arm, and probably rip out his attackers throat.

Because a dog barks, is not a reason to instantly prepare to harm the dog, barking is how dogs communicate.

Barking does nothing to harm someone.

Most people who fear dogs have no sense at all about when a dog truly means to inflict harm.

My dog barks, he barks for many different reasons, are all of them just a notice of an attack?

Hell no.

Would you mind, please, noting with a little more alacrity the fact that I did not strike the dog, nor swing at it?

Would you prefer if I had stood there, frozen, and done nothing to put myself in a ready defensive stance and just waited to see if I began to be mauled before I took my first defensive step? :S

The fact is, had I been bitten, the law would have been on my side, and indisputably. I was minding my own business inline skating down the block when an untethered dog left its property and acted aggressively.

Did I ever say "Hit a dog for barking?" I like dogs too, you know.

Imaginations on fire

It was not really a statement directed solely at you.

Stand your ground, be prepared to defend yourself, but making a furtive movement is enough to elicit an attack by Dog, Soldier, or LEO.

My dog was trained to sense who the bad guy was out of a crowd of 30 people, all dressed in a smililar manner.

Dogs have a way of sensing a person with intent of attack, or great apprehension.

It may be due to the way a person acts in their mannerisms, or due to an ordor given off by their own body, breath or otherwise.

From a good distance a dog can sense these things, it could be enough to make a wary dog leave his yard in order to protect his domain, or charges.

Where the hell did you get the idea that I was talking about a dog living 20 years? I was talking about waiting 20 years for social changes to take care of the crime problem, meanwhile what do people do NOW if victimized.

The rest of us were having a discussion about the use of guns against dog attacks. YOU, all by yourself, tried to make this about "liberal" crime prevention programs.

and then...

But when I go skating around the neighborhood, I have a collapsible baton (legal with my license) as well as my gun.

My irony meter must be broken. It's reading 11.

One time, a small-medium sized dog ran across a yard toward me as I turned the corner, on my skates. The owner was busy gardening. As the dog, unleashed and unpenned, barked and ran toward me, the guy called out a yell and it stopped. I, meanwhile, had raised my baton and was poised to use it defensively before I would have resorted to getting the gun out.

You have no idea how much it suprises me that I'm saying this, but I think you actually did the right thing. If you take a second to think about it, you followed my earlier advice to the letter. Good job. I realize you will refuse to recognize that fact, but maybe everyone else can see that my advice is practical. And how would dropping your baton (a very effective weapon against dogs) and pulling out your gun have helped you defend yourself? Or are you just one of those losers who goes around looking for an excuse to fire your faux-penis?

And to warpedskydiver: If your dog will leave your property to attack someone for any reason, you need to keep it properly restrained at all times. Attack dogs should not be trained to attack of their own volition unless they are on their own property. If they are trained otherwise, then you are an example of the worst kind of dog owner.

- Dan G

How is this a liberal/conservative thing? Responsible gun ownership is a right enjoyed by every American. I strongly support it, as stated previously.

I have, however, met many people who carry around guns looking for an excuse to pull them out. My opinion of these people is that they suffer from some sort of general inserurity about themselves, and carrying a lethal weapon makes them feel more like a man. I have also known many people who carry concealed and no one would ever know it. From his posts, and the fact that he was ready to draw down on a barking dog, leads me to believe that birdlike is one of the former. If I'm wrong, so be it, but his over the top posts lead me to believe otherwise.

PS: I like sex. :)

- Dan G

Stand your ground, be prepared to defend yourself, but making a furtive movement is enough to elicit an attack by Dog, Soldier, or LEO.

My dog was trained to sense who the bad guy was out of a crowd of 30 people, all dressed in a smililar manner.

Dogs have a way of sensing a person with intent of attack, or great apprehension.

It may be due to the way a person acts in their mannerisms, or due to an ordor given off by their own body, breath or otherwise.

From a good distance a dog can sense these things, it could be enough to make a wary dog leave his yard in order to protect his domain, or charges.

A dog leaving "his yard" to charge is a danger to everybody just passing by that yard. Badly trained.

Dogs do not "smell" a bad intention, it's the way the person is approaching, walking carefully, taking care of steps, avoiding any noise, hiding ... just like animals do in nature while approaching, sneaking up. That's catching the dogs attention, not a possible odor.

That might not refer to pitbulls and similar races, which often are (badly) trained just to attack. We all know that.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

A dog leaving "his yard" to charge is a danger to everybody just passing by that yard. Badly trained.

Dogs do not "smell" a bad intention, it's the way the person is approaching, walking carefully, taking care of steps, avoiding any noise, hiding ... just like animals do in nature while approaching, sneaking up. That's catching the dogs attention, not a possible odor.

That might not refer to pitbulls and similar races, which often are (badly) trained just to attack. We all know that.

My dog will not leave his yard except if I put him on a leash.

As far as leaving the yard goes, do you mean leaving the yard as in going into the street, past the sidewalk, or otherwise.

A step or two outside the property lines does not necessarily mean leaving the yard.

As far as leaving the yard goes, do you mean leaving the yard as in going into the street, past the sidewalk, or otherwise.

A step or two outside the property lines does not necessarily mean leaving the yard.

......it could be enough to make a wary dog leave his yard in order to protect his domain, or charges.

That's what I was referring to (In Fact, 2 questions?)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Well, my "mannerism" was that I was fucking skating by the house on a public street, not even looking at the dog. "Furtive"? No. Nor was it furtive when I raised my ASP (though I did not extend it). That action is not what brought the dog barking and charging; it was a response to it, and whether or not that eggs the dog on, I felt it was necessary to be prepared for in case the dog was to try to bite.

So much for the wonderful perception the dog has: why did it charge a person skating by? It's not like I was prowling the cellar windows of a house with a flashlight in the dark!
Imaginations on fire

and then...

But when I go skating around the neighborhood, I have a collapsible baton (legal with my license) as well as my gun.

My irony meter must be broken. It's reading 11.

Oh, so by you, that's an "arsenal." :S

By me, it's part of an abbreviated force continuum.
Obviously, I was prepared with something that could be used with some expectation of nonlethality (even though I do recognize that a baton is to be considered a "deadly weapon" and would be by the law) before I would discharge shots at the dog. You would condemn that and characterize it as though I were walking around with an "arsenal."

You'd shit your pants if you actually did see my arsenal.

You have no idea how much it suprises me that I'm saying this, but I think you actually did the right thing. If you take a second to think about it, you followed my earlier advice to the letter. Good job. I realize you will refuse to recognize that fact, but maybe everyone else can see that my advice is practical. And how would dropping your baton (a very effective weapon against dogs) and pulling out your gun have helped you defend yourself? Or are you just one of those losers who goes around looking for an excuse to fire your faux-penis?

You almost had me going for a moment, that your praise was made in good faith. Then you ditched that tack for the moronic "your gun must be a penis substitute" line.

If I were "one of those losers who goes around looking for an excuse to fire your faux-penis," then, why--as you observed, yourself, and even praised me on--did I not take the opportunity that arose? Fuckin' stupid line of questioning you have there, where you ask me about something you just that moment had disproved. As you pointed out, I went for the less-lethal alternative (and didn't even have to use that, as it turned out) before I would have gone for the gun. Fuckin' DUH. :S
Imaginations on fire

Well, my "mannerism" was that I was fucking skating by the house on a public street, not even looking at the dog. "Furtive"? No. Nor was it furtive when I raised my ASP (though I did not extend it). That action is not what brought the dog barking and charging; it was a response to it, and whether or not that eggs the dog on, I felt it was necessary to be prepared for in case the dog was to try to bite.

So much for the wonderful perception the dog has: why did it charge a person skating by? It's not like I was prowling the cellar windows of a house with a flashlight in the dark!

well, you approach a dog or property with swinging arms and high-speed, and the dog shouldt not at all be concerned? if i came running at you with my arms raised, that would be of no concern to you too!? skaters and runners trigger a lot of dogs, because its the way a dog would define an attack.

admittedly, the dog you were referring to is probably not so well trained. mine doesnt give a shit about skaters and runners. but it doesnt lessen the fact that skaters and runners may be defined as a threat if the dog's not properly trained. that then goes back to the owner, as the puppy is not very likely to get on the phone and call a couple of dog schools up in order to make it a sociable pet.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

How is this a liberal/conservative thing? Responsible gun ownership is a right enjoyed by every American. I strongly support it, as stated previously.

I have, however, met many people who carry around guns looking for an excuse to pull them out.

How many of these people you claim to have met who "carry around guns looking for an excuse to pull them out" HAVE actually pulled them out?

And if they haven't, why have they been so inept at managing to find the excuses they are deliberately seeking?

And if you don't know the answer, how the fuck is it that you can be claiming that they are going around looking for excuses to draw their firearms?

I think you're just talking out your ass. Did you ever SEE someone you've met actually PULL a gun? EVER?

My opinion of these people is that they suffer from some sort of general inserurity about themselves, and carrying a lethal weapon makes them feel more like a man.

So naturally, your thoughts ran to PENISES.

I have also known many people who carry concealed and no one would ever know it.

If these were people who were not cops (whom you would have good reason to believe carried concealed when off-duty) then they are going about it wrong. There's no reason for any but a very small few people to know that a given person carries a gun. I don't tell all my friends and acquaintances. My family knows as a matter of course. My best friends know because I trust them with my life, and me theirs. Beyond that, yes, it IS a stupid ego thing to drop word that you carry.

From his posts, and the fact that he was ready to draw down on a barking dog, leads me to believe that birdlike is one of the former. If I'm wrong, so be it, but his over the top posts lead me to believe otherwise.

I indicated that I was prepared to -- that's why I carry the gun. For protection. Duh. I did not say -- or even imply -- that I was eager to. YOU imputed that bullshit, all on your own. The fact that what I did do was ready the baton, which was already in my hand, and not the gun -- that made a null impression on you, and you instead forced yourself to believe implications that were not in evidence.

PS: I like sex. :)

I'm sure any number of us can tell you what it's like; all you have to do is ask. :P

But be patient. It could still happen for you.
Imaginations on fire

well, you approach a dog or property with swinging arms and high-speed, and the dog shouldt not at all be concerned? if i came running at you with my arms raised, that would be of no concern to you too!? skaters and runners trigger a lot of dogs, because its the way a dog would define an attack.

I was not:
- running or skating "at" the dog
- having my "arms raised"
- moving at "high speed"

I was skating south on the right side of the road, turned right (west) and was hugging the right corner (northwest). The dog was on the southwest corner property. I was never heading toward the dog. I was already proceeding westbound when the dog made its advance, so it was quartering toward me on my left rear side when I heard its barking and turned to see its approach.

admittedly, the dog you were referring to is probably not so well trained. mine doesnt give a shit about skaters and runners. but it doesnt lessen the fact that skaters and runners may be defined as a threat if the dog's not properly trained. that then goes back to the owner, as the puppy is not very likely to get on the phone and call a couple of dog schools up in order to make it a sociable pet.. :S

The dog was not only not well-trained, it was not well-minded. The owner was an idiot for leaving a yappy, aggressive dog unleashed and unpenned. People walk by there, with kids even, all the time. It's an upper-middle class clean neighborhood full of families and people who walk, jog, skate, bike, etc.

You are right, it goes back to the owner, but knowing that the owner, not the dog, is the cause of multiple puncture wounds would not be of comfort to me. Don't people here understand (I'll assume you probably do) that it's reasonable for a person like me to venture out on skates with the means of protection for what is actually a very common eventuality? Where do people get the chutzpah to assert that it's an overreaction to have a defensive weapon available, knowing that dogs do indeed attack people all the friggin' time?!
Imaginations on fire

Pit bulls are not dangerous dogs, but their owners can make them that way. Pit bulls want to please their owners. They are extremly easy to train and calm. When owners neglect their dogs and train them to be mean, the dog will respond because they want to please their owners. If you train the dog right, you will never have a better dog, I know cuz I have 2 of them and they are the greatest. And guns should never be banned!
Arch!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEE. Crap, not another reserve ride!!!