akarunway

Ban pitbulls or guns?

My next door neighbor last night. Two pits broke thru his fence and attacked his litttle Mexican dog. He's black ex vietnam vet. He tried to defend the dog and the pits attacked him. Pulled a pistol;) and fired a couple rounds. Dogs ran away. (Gonna have to take him to the range) Cops came. Dispute setteld. Neighbor came and beefed up his (their) fence. Not for the gun my friend may have been dog food.;) Or ban bad fences? My dog will lick you to death! ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

What about banning people who can't keep dangerous dogs under control from keeping dogs.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who manage to keep pitbulls without them attacking other dogs and people.

If there had been a child in the garden this could have been a lot worse.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

What about banning people who can't keep dangerous dogs under control from keeping dogs.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who manage to keep pitbulls without them attacking other dogs and people.

If there had been a child in the garden this could have been a lot worse.

All about how you rear your children OR dogs. Like I said. My dog dog will lick you to death. BUT. I won't miss at close range w/ the firearm. ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Nope. Ban little mexican dogs. It probably wasn't documented. Weren't you the one that lived in an apartment building in Las Vegas?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Lost my two fenced-in geese to loose dogs a few summers ago. From the feathers the street in front of my house looked like it was covered in snow.

a friend of mine visited someone with a buddy of his. that family had a goat in the garden. his buddy had his pitbull with him. so, they let the dog into the garden, not thinking of the goat. the family was at lunch and they sat down with them. when they returned, the goat covered the whole place. now, if snow was blood and consisted mostly of body parts, it would have snowed badly that day..

i dont need to add that they never got invited over again!?
the goat was the families pet.. :|

i have a (dangerous) big dog too. if she was to do some shit like that, man.. hope you had a happy lunch, coz that was your last.. >:(
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Weren't you the one that lived in an apartment building in Las Vegas?

Yep thats him, he has a habit of posting completely irrelevant pro gun threads put in stupid contexts.

I do have a question though for the pro gun folks, do his posts make you think "Damn it, he's opened his mouth and made us look bad again"?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

i have a (dangerous) big dog too.

Why??

For the life of me, I just do not understand people who own dogs that they know are dangerous. No dog owner can be 100% careful 100% of the time. A gun owner can put a trigger lock on his gun. The gun won't try to escape the lock. Many dogs do try to escape their leashes or confinement. Even if the owner forgets to lock the gun, the gun won't operate itself, it requires a human to operate it. But accidentally leave your fence gate unlocked just one time, and a child could easily be killed. I just don't understand the mentality.

Weren't you the one that lived in an apartment building in Las Vegas?

Yep thats him, he has a habit of posting completely irrelevant pro gun threads put in stupid contexts.

I do have a question though for the pro gun folks, does his posts make you think "Damn it, he's opened his mouth and made us look bad again"?

Yup. Definitely hurts the "cause". Personally, i'm one of those kinds that is "shy" on advertising what, how many, why, and especially, my TTP's on gun ownership. Having to use firearms just does not turn me on.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Funny that you should post that. I'm sitting here right now trying to figure out what I should do about the problem of people letting their dogs go without a leash in our neighborhood, and this police report came up:

This morning at 8:24, police responded to the 25200 block of Ridgeplume in regards to a neighbor who shot at a dog and the bullet richoched striking another man in the abdomen. The 72 year-old gun shot victim was treated at the scene, transported by AMR to Inland Valley Medical Center and was later released. The investigation revealed that a retired Glendale Police Officer was out walking his dog when both were charged by two large black/brown dogs. Neighbors saw the dogs charging at the man an attempted to help to no avail. Fearing that he was going to be bitten, the retired officer fired a blank round from his .38 cal revolver into the ground to scare the dogs away. The dogs retreated after the round was fired, however a man about 20 to 25 yards away was struck by a projectile. It was later learned that the retired officer had accidently fired a live cartridge and the bullet had richoched off the ground. The retired officer is permitted to carry a concealed weapon. No charges are pending.

The owner of the two dogs was cited for allowing the dogs to run at large.

It's too bad that the other guy was accidentally shot, but why the hell do people think it's OK to let their dogs run loose? I've gotten to where I'm afraid to go for walks in my own neighborhood - where people are supposed to have their dogs on a leash, but they often don't. Many times when I go for a walk, some big-ass dog will come running up to me, stopping about a foot in front of me, barking its head off, while the owner tries to call him back, saying, "Oh, don't worry; he's a nice dog." Yeah, well I really don't want to be the person to get mauled before you realize that your dog isn't so fucking nice. (Sorry, I've been pretty pissed off about this lately.)

Rich keeps telling me to carry pepper spray around and spray any dog that does that to me, but I really don't want to hurt some dog just because its owner is careless. So I'm probably going to call the city and find out what can be done. (Any suggestions?)

And I pretty much never hear of problems with guns in our area. It's interesting that the rare occasion when someone gets shot happens to be because the shooter was only trying to scare off someone's big-ass dogs that shouldn't have been running loose.

i have a (dangerous) big dog too.

Why??

For the life of me, I just do not understand people who own dogs that they know are dangerous.

I've been around a fair number of pit bulls. They are very docile, gentle dogs by nature. They have to be trained to be mean, unless they are trying to protect their owners, in which case, most any dog can be mean.

I guess that would imply that people who own dangerous dogs are typically people who have trained their dogs to be dangerous (or failed to train their dogs at all). Or people who have rescued dogs from such people.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

My next door neighbor last night. Two pits broke thru his fence and attacked his litttle Mexican dog. He's black ex vietnam vet. He tried to defend the dog and the pits attacked him. Pulled a pistol;) and fired a couple rounds. Dogs ran away. (Gonna have to take him to the range) Cops came. Dispute setteld. Neighbor came and beefed up his (their) fence. Not for the gun my friend may have been dog food.;) Or ban bad fences? My dog will lick you to death! ;)

So you have on one side the neighbors who run to you when there is a power blackout because you have a gun and on the other side you have a guy who scared off dogs with a gun.

Wow, you make convincing arguments about gun ownership.

Rich keeps telling me to carry pepper spray around and spray any dog that does that to me, but I really don't want to hurt some dog just because its owner is careless. So I'm probably going to call the city and find out what can be done. (Any suggestions?)

Pepper spray only causes a temporary irritation. You can use it when you need to as a deterrent.
It is better than any of the alternatives when you are confronted by an aggressive dog.

I've been around a fair number of pit bulls. They are very docile, gentle dogs by nature. They have to be trained to be mean, unless they are trying to protect their owners, in which case, most any dog can be mean.

Sorry, not convinced. What you're describing applies more to, say, German Shepherds, but not pit bulls as a general breed. Some animals are, as a rule, innately aggressive. Pit bulls are among them, your anectodal experience notwithstanding.

Let's face facts, people: pit bulls are weapons on four legs. They should be regarded, and treated, accordingly. I get sick of people using enablers' rhetoric for pit bull owners.

Pit bulls are among them, your anectodal experience notwithstanding.

I disagree, as would most people with experience with pit bulls. If you are looking for an innately aggressive dog, check out Jack Russell Terriers. The challenge of ownership with them is to train them to be nice. Pit Bulls are innately gentle dogs; they just have great strength and size, making them appealing to assholes that want to train their dogs to be mean and aggressive.

Pit bulls are among them, your anectodal experience notwithstanding.

I disagree, as would most people with experience with pit bulls. If you are looking for an innately aggressive dog, check out Jack Russell Terriers. The challenge of ownership with them is to train them to be nice. Pit Bulls are innately gentle dogs; they just have great strength and size, making them appealing to assholes that want to train their dogs to be mean and aggressive.

Ya' just see it happen too often that somebody's "nice" pit bull (heck, it's never been aggressive before...the family pet...blah, blah, blah) attacks someone. Unfortunately, unlike what would happen if my little Cairn Terrier were to attack someone, when a dog like this DOES attack it's likely to seriously injure the attackee.

All dog breeds are not the same. Heck, study any breed of dogs, and part of what you'll expect to learn about is their temperment. They don't come into the world with a blank slate. Some breeds are more likely to be aggressive than others.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Ya' just see it happen too often that somebody's "nice" pit bull (heck, it's never been aggressive before...the family pet...blah, blah, blah) attacks someone. Unfortunately, unlike what would happen if my little Cairn Terrier were to attack someone, when a dog like this DOES attack it's likely to seriously injure the attackee.

All dog breeds are not the same. Heck, study any breed of dogs, and part of what you'll expect to learn about is their temperment. They don't come into the world with a blank slate. Some breeds are more likely to be aggressive than others.

I agree that not all breeds are created equal in temperament or ability to do damage should they attack. In terms of temperament, pit bulls are gentle. In terms of ability to do damage, there aren't many dogs that can do more than a pit bull. That's largely their appeal to assholes that want to train them to be mean.

Dogs don't attack for no reason. If they aren't trained to attack, then it is usually self defense or a combination of not being trained to suppress natural dog instincts and the attackee violating the "dog rules" associated with those instincts (e.g. sustained direct eye contact, holding a hand on top of the dogs head, etc.).

Some breeds are more training and maintenance intensive than others. I'm not saying that a pit bull is the right dog for everyone. It isn't. Nor is a JRT the right dog for everybody. But it would be foolish to blame the breed because of the actions (or lack thereof) of some owners.

No offense, but you're still being an enabler.

I fail to see how you came to that conclusion. What am I enabling? Responsible dog ownership regardless of chosen breed? Not everyone is cut out to be a dog owner. That's not the fault of the dog any more than it is kids' fault when their parents fail to parent.