Gawain

Does the Word "Retard" Offend You?

remember when SPASTIC was all the rage.... They even had the Spastic society....

Ive decided im done with retard..... Spastics retro !!.....;)

Its not usually the word i find offensive id say its more the context in which its used....

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

remember when SPASTIC was all the rage.... They even had the Spastic society....

Ive decided im done with retard..... Spastics retro !!.....;)

Spaz:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't find it offensive, because I have a sense of humor. Except when someone makes fun of my right to keep and bear arms. Then I get irate and hostile. :P

By the way, I plan to see Tropic Thunder on Sunday with a friend. She works at the theater and she gets us in for FREE!! YEEHAAA!!!! :)

Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Society has gotten so tender. People need to lighten up and learn to laugh at themselves.

Especially those retards. They have such funny laughs, usually. :D And lots of times they have funny faces and teeth.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Every now and then, I see a truck full of junk driving along, like those goodwill trucks
On the side, it says
"ARC
Association for Retarded Citizens"

It's an old organization that chooses to keep its original name. Just like the NAACP keeps its name (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) - they didn't bother changing colored to Negro to black to African-American.

[reply}

I'd go a step farther and just call it courtesy. If someone finds the term "retard" or "asshole" or "spic" or "nigger" offensive, I don't use it with them. Doesn't matter if it's PC or not.

Bill, I'm having difficulty imagining you calling someone a "retard", "asshole", "spic", or "nigger", even if they were not offended.

Phil

I probably won't see the movie, but if anyone does, please let me know if they make fun of amputees, because I need some new material.

Okay, I've now seen the movie. They actually do make fun of amputees. :D:D Hands, not legs, but still ... a double-amputee is at the center of one of the movie's running jokes.

And as for the use of retard ... there is NO other word they could have used. Well, I take that back. I think they ALSO used all the other formerly "correct" words, too, including moron, and idiot. But retard/retarded are used repeatedly, and to perfect comic effect; it would not have worked any other way and it's spot-on satire.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a relative who is moderately autistic, but functional, albeit in a very narrow range: raw intellect. His demeanor and manner of speech is rather odd, and strangers sometimes think he's "retarded". In fact, he's brilliant, does highly complex mathematics in his head, and has a BS and an MBA from good universities. Like the protagonist in Rain Man, he's probably what used to be called an "idiot savant", but that term is now considered arcane and insulting. I believe the popular term for it today is "autistic savant".

Actually Andy, the wife's also got two nephews with Asburger's syndrome, a form of autism. The younger one is still in school. the older one is in his twenties and while living at home, holds down a regular job. He's really DEEPLY involved in Anime and has become a regualr fixture at the annual Anime Festival in LA, where he proudly appears in his red Power Rangers costume every year. He's definitely not retarded, but is pretty much a big kid in most ways.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

and that would be an example of using it in a way that makes you sound like a bit of a dick....;)

for the best non pc stand up at the moment you should definately cherck out ricky gervais....politics, animals and fame!!!!!

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Don't we use parachutes for retardation? :P

I guess I've got a sense of humour, even though I am diagnosed with a form of autism.

The term in itself is neutral, but it's raped if a majority of people use it as something negative. That's one reason I wouldn't sling it at people, I dislike group mentallity, and the negative use of the word 'retard' suggests that there is a group who feel they are mentally and/or psychically superior.

Still, I don't mind if people call me a retard, they may think of me what they like. ;)

The results of your quiz indicate that you are 69% retarded!

You are often found to be idiotic and more than a little weird. People are friendly towards you either because they think you're a good person to make fun of, or because they feel bad for you. You're a clutz and often hurt yourself by accident.

:D:D[:/]

edit to add: it's more of a skydiver type quiz. Who ISN'T distracted by shiny things and who HASN'T tripped on the air....