Skyrad

Do fat people repulse you?

I spend a lot of time in the gym these days but its not so "someone will love me". In fact, I think its more about finally liking myself enough to take better care of myself and take charge of my life. That's funny because when I started, it really was all about losing weight to look better. More self confidence, getting stronger and feeling better were added perks I really didn't expect.

Oh, and by most people's standards, I am still "fat", just a little less fat than I used to be! I think I'm a little to fond of food to ever be "Hollywood thin!":P

Only an insecure, very small minded person would judge another based on their looks.

that's just something ugly people tell children

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have no excuses for being fat I have never really tried looking for one. Have always been a big guy who is active, plays basketball, tennis (faster then all my skinny friends on the court), and guess what! even my hot skinny GF thinks I am attractive (imagine that someone who doesn’t follow access Hollywood to decide what’s hot). The big thing for me is I am healthy no cholesterol, no problem that’s are so called fat peoples problems. My Father is the same, so was my grandfather. I also cook most of the time, love vegetables, and maybe have fast food once every 6 months or so. I eat organic vegetables and eat farm-raised beef.

Read the rest of this thread and you'll find that you don't represent the discussion being had.

I do share your pity for the gym rats - outside of winter, this exercise for health can be done as exercise for fun in the outdoors. Instead of running on a treadmill in front of a TV, I can run along the bay. Instead of doing fake stairs, I can run up and down real ones at Telegraph Hill. Exercise should be fun, not a chore. And once you've been doing it for 4-6 weeks and get basic fitness, that is how it is.

Only an insecure, very small minded person would judge another based on their looks.

LOL:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hey, try this. First drop the negative "Hater" attitude. The next "FAT PERSON" you see eating the garbage can, invite that person to go for a jog, a walk, a short hike, anything. Judge not, lest ye be judged and the same judgement you use to judge others shall be exacted on you.

Ying/Yang baby! ;)

-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I suppose I'm the exception to the rule then. ;)
So you dont tell your childrten then:P

I dont think anyone on these boards who actually is an active skydiver would fit the profile of the OP description of Fat.

I think he is referring to Morbidly obese people, the sort that need assistance to stand up and have not seen their toes in years.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think he is referring to Morbidly obese people, the sort that need assistance to stand up and have not seen their toes in years.

I'd love hearing the explanation from him myself.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

On airplanes and other 'close up' encounters, I try my best to give people as much room as possible - this has the side effect of giving ME more room as well. I don't care for people that intentionally get into your personal space to try to force you to give them room, whether they're heavy or not.

I've also fought with my weight for most of my life. I'm 5'10" and 210 lbs now, but I've been as heavy as 245-250. I also have a family history of high cholesterol.

Between cholesterol medication and diet (cutting out sugars and starches within reason), I've brought my overall cholesterol from 295 down to 127. My LDL cholesterol went from 175 down to 77, triglycerides from 155 down to 57 and HDL from 32 to 39. I've recently started back on an exercise program to increase strength and lose some weight - but I'm never going to be a tiny person. Even at my lowest adult weight (165) I wore an XL shirt. That's still no excuse for crowding into someone else's space unless it's necessary.

_________

Now, with the sub-topic taken care of...

No, I don't hate overweight folks nor am I repulsed by them. I *do* have sympathy for their condition.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

what you don't like a fast base? they don't call me da base for nuthing. I love laying base for the skinny freeflyers at 160 mph plus on my belly.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I don't hate fat people if I'm being honest I feel sorry for them and even more so for their families and friends. I have worked for several years with the clinically obease in hospitals pre and post stomach stapling and banding operations. With people who have osteoarthritis or pain in their back, hips, knees, feet. The amount of times I have heard "I don't know why it hurts?' when they are in effect walking around with my weight as well as theirs. I had one patient who fractured her pelvis because a taxi she was in stopped suddenly and she slipped off the seat on to her knees. Unlike in the US we the tax payer have to pay for these peoples treatment and they are crippling the health system.
The woman in the taxi for example screwed the taxi drivers income as she had to be cut out of the taxi as she was so big (Actually she was an American its still not that usual for Brits to be that big although many are trying hard to catch up) she had no medical cause for her obeaseity. But while the firemen were cutting her out of the taxi they were not available to attend fires or other emergencies. The road was closed in Wimbledon causing massive traffic problems for hundreds if not thousands of people. A surgical team had to work for several hours to fix her, the anesthetic risk to her life was huge, she was lucky to survive it. She remained in the hospital for several months as she couldn't mobalise as quickly as a normal size person. The drain on resources was huge. She was actually a nice person, I didn't hate her I felt sorry for her but hers was purely a plight of her own making.
As for taking the obease for runs I'll leave that for Vortexring and his E&E course.:D

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I suppose I'm the exception to the rule then. ;)
So you dont tell your childrten then:P

I dont think anyone on these boards who actually is an active skydiver would fit the profile of the OP description of Fat.

Correct
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I don't think its entirely right to blame obese people for being obese.

We never used to have such a high proportion of obese people in our societies. In places like Australia over 20% of kids are obese. USA is almost as bad. European countries like the UK not far behind.

To a large extent the easy availability of cheap high carb, high fat food is the cause of this epidemic.

We need to limit junk food availability through taxation. We need to limit advertising. We need to start serving only tasty healthy food in schools. We need to prevent corporations who care for nothing other than their shareholders poisoning us all.

Now I'm not suggesting that people shouldn't take responsibility for themselves and make the effort to keep themselves healthy.

What I am saying is we all need a certain amount of protection from uncaring profit making organisations that are peddaling goods which are in some way addictive. And like it or not food is extremely morish.

Think about it. If we lifted all the bans on tobacco advertising and removed all the health warnings and dropped the tax on tobacco products no doubt the number of smokers would skyrocket.

If we legalized crack and heroin, sold them in all the supermarkets and pumped billions into advertising them as cool and sexy then we would be awash with addicts and the crime that comes with them.

We can't leave leave the supply of junk food in the hands of people who are prepared to profit at the expense of our health. We've been doing that for years and it clearly does not work.

To answer the title question I can't help thinking disparaging thoughts when I see a really fat person. I wish I didn't and I try not to. But I'm conditioned to blame them individually for their state rather than look at the bigger picture.

What I am saying is we all need a certain amount of protection from uncaring profit making organisations that are peddaling goods which are in some way addictive. And like it or not food is extremely morish.

B U L L S H I T

What we need is more WONT POWER.
I WONT eat fast food every day
I WONT sit on my lazy fat arse and not burn off the calories i just consumed
I WONT blame society for my slovenly state
I WONT wait until some pharmaceutical company develops "the Miracle Weight Loss Pill"
I WONT say I'm just Big Boned
:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What we need is more WONT POWER.
I WONT eat fast food every day
I WONT say I'm just Big Boned

I bet you think anorexics 'should just eat more' too.:D
No they should just stop throwing it back up:| (the bulimics at least)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can't wait for airlines to start weighing passengers and make proportional ticket prices. It's been talked about and I think it's an awesome solution to the airline related part of this discussion. I don't think I should have to pay the same amount for a ticket that someone weighing four times me does. I'm responsible, athletic, and a healthy weight. Their obesity is causing increased operation costs for the airline. Their obesity causes a significant increase in expensive fuel use. Their obesity causes me to have to pay more. But I have to pay for it.

Thank god US health care isn't socialized, I can only imagine how frustrating that is for all of you in the UK, especially after that story about the lady in the taxi.

It is nonsense to try and say that some of these obese people just can't do anything about. All that medical condition stuff is nonsense. It's simple, if you eat less, you will eventually weigh less. If this wasn't true, than countries facing starvation and food shortages would still have magical fat people who stay fat even though they haven't eaten in weeks. Nope, they're all skinny, because they're not eating. Strange how that works! I'm not saying we should starve people in our country, but there is really no excuse for being obese and it is a drain on society and all the responsible citizens who don't take mayo on an IV drip.

Yes. Repulsive. Not going to apologize for it or let someone try and make me feel guilty about it. It's wrong and disgusting. If you think I'm shallow, then go hug some morbidly obese people and tell them that it's my fault.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

than countries facing starvation and food shortages would still have magical fat people who stay fat even though they haven't eaten in weeks.

Well, its an interesting point.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It's simple, if you eat less, you will eventually weigh less.

So you too probably think "anorexics should just eat more". If only life were as simple as it clearly appears to be in SimonBones land:

- Smokers? Well they just have to stop smoking, don't they?

- Aloholics? Why can't they just drink in moderation like the rest of us?

- Heroin addicts? Easy - just stop shooting up. No?

- Serial killers? Surely those dudes just need to get a different hobby, right?

Everything is simple if you don't think about it too much.

Like blaming the fast food industry for obesity? That was remarkably shallow thinking.

Americans didn't eat so great in the prior generations - eggs and steaks and gravy and lots of it.

What's changed is the level of physical activity, both in jobs and in life. Too many kids now play video game versions of sports rather than the real thing. Adults no longer work in a factory, they work at a desk, and they work longer hours, then spend more time then ever commuting, and with what little time they have left they do not put out a sweat.

I'm not perfect and by no means skinny. I know its wrong but fat people irritate me, I can't help it. Especially if I see them eating crisps/chips. So am I alone or do they bug you too?

Not unless they try to blame McDonalds for it. Fat people don't bother me. A lack of personal responsibility is irritating, though.

So you too probably think "anorexics should just eat more". If only life were as simple as it clearly appears to be in SimonBones land:

- Smokers? Well they just have to stop smoking, don't they?

- Aloholics? Why can't they just drink in moderation like the rest of us?

- Heroin addicts? Easy - just stop shooting up. No?

- Serial killers? Surely those dudes just need to get a different hobby, right?

Weak in willpower. Sounds pretty simple. Nope, not too complicated. I come from a background of all sorts of family addiction bullshit and problems. I guess I've got a bunch of those "predispositions". Simple answer for me, don't smoke, don't keep drinking until I can't remember, don't stick that needle there, and stop strangling that dude. No problem.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

They don't repulse me, unless maybe they're vast, and then I feel maybe sorry for them. I think it's a nasty cycle, sometimes inspired or perpetuated by ignorance or depression or culture or family or simply preoccupation with other concerns and interests.

I've dated chubby people, and now and then I even find women or men who are clearly overweight--and sometimes doubtlessly obese--absolutely beautiful, though that has more to do with their energy, or something.

Obesity and cancer both have disrupted or ended the lives of members of my family. So I try to stay healthy. My diet's (generally) exceptional, I think. I could stand to exercise more.

But I remember once seeing a big, big woman at an amusement park smoking a cigarette. She turned to her children and said "Hay, kee-ids. Laet's go home an' order a PIZZA!" which I found pretty repulsive.

I think the self-destruction implicit in obesity and smoking repulse me. (Well, and with smokers, the smell). If they love themselves, I can probably love them, too.
Let's go to candy mountain.