Andrewwhyte

New Yorker Cover. Has America completely become unable to accept Satire?

Both the Obama and McCain camps have condemned the NewYorker cover http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080715/world/obama_new_yorker as being offensive.
I think it's sad that people in the public eye are not even allowed to acknowledge the existence of satire these days.
The cover was good. It was an accurate (within the exaggerated bounds allowed by satire) depiction of the portrayal of Obama by the right. It was legitimate political commentary.
Yes?

Both the Obama and McCain camps have condemned the NewYorker cover http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080715/world/obama_new_yorker as being offensive.
I think it's sad that people in the public eye are not even allowed to acknowledge the existence of satire these days.
The cover was good. It was an accurate (within the exaggerated bounds allowed by satire) depiction of the portrayal of Obama by the right. It was legitimate political commentary.
Yes?

That cover even made the newspapers down here.
While having no dog in this fight and recognising Americans' pre-occupation with freedom of speech, I personally found the cover to be in very poor taste. I enjoy good satire as much as the next person, but this is not good satire. It was intended to inflame offend.

While I did laugh out loud when I saw it, and felt it was reasonably comprehensive in summarizing many concerns both myself and fellow citizens have about this couple, it was definitely pushing the bounds. Especially in a presidential election where race sensitivities are there, acknowledge them or not.
We are all engines of karma

airdvr is right about that....... I don't see Europe getting so sensitive about political satire. America needs to get the sand out of their clit. The only people worse than us would be the Muslims!!! God forbid you make a joke about Muhammad, they'll bomb you or burn your house down.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Sorry, took me some time to respond since I had to get the sand out of my clit...

My problem with the cover is that there are people in this country completely swayed by media representations, however false. I recently had a family member send me an email diatribe against Obama which essentially stated that if he were to become president we would experience 9/11 everyday and that since he is in bed with the Middle East we should stop at nothing now to correct his campaign efforts. People like that fill our country and they vote. That is what scares me most about covers like this. I appreciate satire, truly I do... this just seems really potentially dangerous, but perhaps Squeak is right that American's just don't really get satirical wit.

The only positive to come from it, in my estimation, at least, is that it is clearly engendering discussion.

Sorry, took me some time to respond since I had to get the sand out of my clit...

My problem with the cover is that there are people in this country completely swayed by media representations, however false..

and that dear sir is one of your countries BIGGEST problems, non free thinkers who let the media dictate their thoughts (unfortunately it is an increasing problem here in OZ aswell)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Agreed. I don't, however, wish to fall into the elite camp and proclaim that I 'get it' and that proverbial others don't and therefore certain images are inappropriate for mass consumption.... It is systemic, I suspect. It is not a secret, nor is it new, that Americans are politically unaware and media hungry. That pairing is ripe for opportunities if in either politics or the media, but also ripe for being the recipient of manipulation if a consumer.

And, I'm a ma'am... or was that satire I didn't catch?

I thought the picture was funny. But in this PC age it seems like humor is not allowed in politices. People need to lighten up and learn to laugh a little.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

While I did laugh out loud when I saw it, and felt it was reasonably comprehensive in summarizing many concerns both myself and fellow citizens have about this couple,

And who is the target of the cartoon?:D;)

And to answer the question in the OP, the above is the reason some people have a problem with the cartoon. It's funny if you get it. If you don't, then it's propaganda. The main concern IMO is the fear that most people who see it will fall in to the latter category.
In addition, if you continue to throw an image into the dialog, such as this visual manifestation of the Right's unfounded fears or say, perhaps repeatedly putting Iraq and al Qaeda together in the same sentence, then you stand a good chance of leaving a significant number of voters with a false impression.

The people who forward the absurd anti-Obama chain emails (I've had dozens so far this year) are unlikely to recognize satire if it stands on its hind legs and bites them on the nose.

Does the GOP have a special rumor-mill office that starts these stories?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, I'm a little confused at why the left is so up in arms about this. It was obviously a shot at the right and their villification campaign.

But then again, the New Yorker is such a hotbed of Republican ideology... :S

Friggin people are so used to bitching about SOMETHING in this country...they didn't pause to recognize it for what it is.

- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Yeah, I'm a little confused at why the left is so up in arms about this. It was obviously a shot at the right and their villification campaign.

But then again, the New Yorker is such a hotbed of Republican ideology... :S

Friggin people are so used to bitching about SOMETHING in this country...they didn't pause to recognize it for what it is.

:D:D

That’s what I found funny and scary at the same time. I believe a few months ago we had someone on here who thought that the Colbert Report was a right winged show. Some people simply do not get it.

I wonder how many people thought it was breaking story about Obama being a secret Muslim? What is truly sad is that I bet that number is huge.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

While I did laugh out loud when I saw it, and felt it was reasonably comprehensive in summarizing many concerns both myself and fellow citizens have about this couple, it was definitely pushing the bounds. Especially in a presidential election where race sensitivities are there, acknowledge them or not.

So let me get this straight. You have serious concerns that Obama and his wife's hand jazz is really a form of sign language covering up the fact that she is a secret Islamist terrorist?

So let me get this straight. You have serious concerns that Obama and his wife's hand jazz is really a form of sign language covering up the fact that she is a secret Islamist terrorist?

No. That's not the concern discussed in my circles. Obama has proven himself to be an eloquent speaker, who hits all the right notes. The White House is not a musical instrument, and the man is not fit to inhabit it, IMO.
We are all engines of karma

No. That's not the concern discussed in my circles. Obama has proven himself to be an eloquent speaker, who hits all the right notes. The White House is not a musical instrument, and the man is not fit to inhabit it, IMO.

Okayy,...so you are concerned that he is an eloquent speaker, and you don't want an eloquent speaker in the White House? Not sure what the mag cover has to do with that.