livendive

Christianity - it now makes so much more sense

Did you repent of your sins, and fill your heart with remorse? Accept Jesus as the atonement for those sins....(goes on for some time)

This is unintelligible superstitious babble. If there was Jesus, even he'd be asking WTF that was.

BTW, I took a Jesus on a tandem last weekend. Might not have been the one you were talking about though. I think this one worked in San Jose.

Good thing for you we're not radical Muslims.B|

Or perhaps, more importantly, imo, that we are not in a fundamentalist theocratic state with religious-based law system lacking a strong norm of committment to freedom of verbal & written expression .... ?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I thought it was funny and figured some here would view it similarly. Of course I realized there would be some who failed to see the humor in it, which is why I posted it in Speaker's Corner rather than the Bonfire.

So in effect, you posted a highly offensive joke with total disregard to a segment of the population who post here. Why would you want to do that?

Perhaps you don't understand how important Jesus Christ is to many Christians who post here.

I'll give an example of what that meant to someone who believes like me. Suppose someone posted a picture of your closest loved one during their most horrific suffering and then proceeded to write a mocking passage below it?

I'm not expecting you to believe in Jesus Christ, but rather think about your fellow posters. That picture may not fall under the definition of a personal attack here on this site, but for many Christians; it's as personal as you can get.

Or perhaps, more importantly, imo, that we are not in a fundamentalist theocratic state with religious-based law system lacking a strong norm of committment to freedom of verbal & written expression .... ?

I'm all for our freedom of verbal and written expression. I'm also all for censoring ourselves when we know our expression will be highly offensive to our fellow posters. There was nothing to be gained by this thread except to mock what a segment of our population hold very dear. This thread was not started to discuss the validity of Christianity but rather with malice.

Good thing for you we're not radical Muslims. B|

I'm all for our freedom of verbal and written expression. I'm also all for censoring ourselves when we know our expression will be highly offensive to our fellow posters. There was nothing to be gained by this thread except to mock what a segment of our population hold very dear. This thread was not started to discuss the validity of Christianity but rather with malice.

You make valid points in this reply & your others in this thread. Your effort -- not just in this thread but consistently -- to be respectful is appreciated & recognized. My comment was in response to your quote above: that it is not the particular religion that is most important but the secular, civil institutions; civil-based law system; and civil norms of free expression. While you may not agree with my assertion, do you see the difference?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Yes, I do see the difference and I do appreciate your understanding of the point I am trying to make.

This is a small community here. I would not have made my comments if it was a huge forum. Dave and I have posted here for many years. I respect him in many ways, which is why I felt comfortable in expressing my views on this topic.

I'm not trying to change Dave's views. I'm trying to shine a light on the effect of this particular post. I feel this community close enough to do just that, fully knowing it will either be accepted or rejected.

I'm also all for censoring ourselves when we know our expression will be highly offensive to our fellow posters.

You also have the unalienable right not to look at it...or take it seriously. What are you most offended by, the picture or the words below it? Can you deny that the caption on the image bears resemblance to the belief system you're defending? I think not. In addition, just to reassert the obvious fact, the picture is not of your beloved Jesus. Quit likening it to someone posting a picture of my sister being dragged behind a truck. OK? Thanks.
He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Freefall Express

In addition, just to reassert the obvious fact, the picture is not of your beloved Jesus.

You know this how?

That is the accepted image of Jesus by Christians, despite your miraculous knowledge otherwise. The picture and the words below it are offensive to many Christians. Your belief otherwise does not change that fact. I stand by my analogy.

You know this how?

Because they didn't have cameras back then. Am I the only one that gets this?

That is the accepted image of Jesus by Christians, despite your miraculous knowledge otherwise.

Which, in and of itself, shows the inaccuracy and ethnocentricity of the establishment. Jesus would have been a Middle-Easterner, not an Anglosaxon. Do we not see the continuing folly?

I stand by my analogy.

Ummm, OK. That's your right.
Freefall Express

Perhaps you don't understand how important Jesus Christ is to many Christians who post here.

Well, I'd say that those Christians, who cannot tolerate anyone and anything talking about their Jesus in a way not approved by their church, probably should avoid public forums. Last time I checked the rules it was very clear that attacks against groups (this includes Christians) were allowed. If you or anyone else is not comfortable with this, it would make sense to stay away from "Speaker Corner".

Suppose someone posted a picture of your closest loved one during their most horrific suffering and then proceeded to write a mocking passage below it?

No, it's a bad example. Jesus is not your closest loved one. It's a well-known popular figure you MADE a fetish yourself. Using the same logic someone could ask everyone else to stop posting bad things about George Bush, since they choose it to be their closest loved one.

I'm not expecting you to believe in Jesus Christ, but rather think about your fellow posters. That picture may not fall under the definition of a personal attack here on this site, but for many Christians; it's as personal as you can get.

Then it's their problem. In another thread a lot of people (some of them supposely were Christians as well) wrote "fuck the commies". Well, Christians - as a group - is not different at all, so why not do the same to them?
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

And what am I to find on the other side of this door? An eternity walking "streets of gold" and laying crowns down at the feet of a deity who took an observer's role long ago and shouting, "Hosanna, Hosanna! How great thou art?" What use do I have for streets of gold? What appeals to me about eternally praising a "father" who threw me into a den of lions and intended from the start for me to suffer? A "father" who punishes all of his children for all of time for the crimes committed by two people at the beginning of creation? Is that how you parent?

Forgive me, but you seem to have a very elementary understanding of God. God is spirit, life is spirit, love is spirit. When I talk about the other side of the door, I am not talking about a place in existance, but rather a place in the heart. Surely you have heard of "The Doors" before? Jim Morrison walked through the other door and it led to his perishing self, his self realized manifestation of death. The door I am speaking of is the door of life. What I have found about life is that it has qualites to it that fill it within us. Recieving love is a great quality of life yes? You might say that if you were in love all the time that you wouldnt have time to feel down. Its not a fantasy, its the truth. Love feels good to us and it inspires us to life in the fullest measure. The difference is that we as humans only have a human concept of love, and alot of us are found wanting. We find it in freinds, we find it in family, dogs, money even, but when we find it at the source, it begins to fill us with power. Now you may say that love is simply an emotion. But I say emotions are only expressions of inspired thoughts. I belive love shares something with everyone and it is the only thing which can unite us all. Of course I believe love is spirit. It is against loves nature to force someone to recieve it, Love desires to be loved and in return gives more and more of itself. As humans, we have the ability to at least acknowledge that love feels good, but we also have the ability to disbelieve and therefore disregard its true power. Love, by its nature (which fills us with goodness) has to be believed to be recieved. Everything in us tells us that we are not loved in the greatest of loves measures, that is the innocence we shed, but Grace is the only thing I have found that testifies against that with a power so incredible, it literally changes lives in miraculous ways.

On this side of the door I have friends. I have dreams, hobbies, and fun. On this side of the door I'm alive. Why do I need to worry about what may or may not happen after I die in a figurative paradise or lake of fire? If God were real and we had need for Him, wouldn't I feel a void?

Recieving Gods love allows us to love in greater measures, as a loving hearts desire is to share the love it has. Again, the true nature of love. Would you feel a void without love? Absolutely. But you will say, I have love, yet love is limitless by nature, it grows within us, and as we learn to understand it in waves, it reveals an endless ocean from which to apply it and recieve it. Love by nature desires to share, and when we share it, we are empowered by it.
Love is of course shared in many many ways, but its greatest power is not in how it is shared, but in how it is recieved. Its like provision of wheat. It takes wheat to make wheat, it takes life to make life, it takes love to make love. (no pun intended) So while you dont want to acknowledge grace (this immeasurable, literally eternally revealing love) it is, in many Christians' lives, the truth behind the spirit of life, and it does reveal an amazing perception of this earth and the things in it. Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is near, and it is within you. All I know about paradise, is that God himself told us it was paradise, that to me sounded like a more incredible exploration than any adventure I have been on.

As with any theory, you need to prove it. You Christians scream heresy at the mention of a new scientific theory and demand the full scientific process for proof, yet you yourselves provide none.

Ive always asked what you intend on revealing when you search for evidence of the beginning. What does that knowledge do for a heart that is starving for love and affection? I dont have a problem with scientists, I actually think the desire they have is very interesting, but life is not about how we got here or why were here even. It is about enjoying it to the fullest while we are here. And that, takes searching to find out what we truly want. I had no idea that my desire would turn to righteousness,, but it makes sense, righteousness feels good, no one desires it without an understanding of love, we have a natural desire for what is good, but also a natural desire to go against that. What we do, until we figure it out, is feed both desires as the hunger arouses itself. Feed the good and you will feel good. Feed the good with all your heart and you will feel the natural goodness in life. Life to the fullest requires goodness. Anything that conflicts with that desire gets in the way of us enjoying the most satisfying and pleasure-filled life.

Don't presume to tell me my life is missing something just because you grasp onto a fairy tale in your moments of insecurity. And don't persecute a person for finding humor in a set of faith-based beliefs with nothing more than a cryptic book full of outlandish stories to back it up.

Hmmm. I dont persecute Dave for the post, actually sort of feels like he persecuted me. Besides, I dont believe I have said anything offensive. It seems to be that you have some bitterness already in regards to Jesus, and I truly am sorry for that. That is one of the reasons we engage people at all sometimes, is because we know that Jesus is often very misrepresented. Your right, I fell into a level of death within me that was so profound. I couldnt find satisfaction in anything and my search took me everywhere it seems, then I found Jesus, and have been in a "daze" ever since.....But what a Wonderful "daze" it is!

And spelling? Yes, spelling. As an adult, you should not only be able to write at a High School graduate level but also notice the "Check Spelling" button below the text box into which you're typing your reply.

:DI never said I was an educated adult! And that chek spelling button is very time consuming and doesnt work like a normal find replace window!:D

RYNO LONGWIND IS BACK!! Just kidding, I guess I got way too carried away, sorry bout the length.
"We didn't start the fire"

Did you repent of your sins, and fill your heart with remorse? Accept Jesus as the atonement for those sins....(goes on for some time)

This is unintelligible superstitious babble. If there was Jesus, even he'd be asking WTF that was.

Sorry, but it is clear you havent read a Gospel, and I dont know why you would speak so against it if you havent even read it. Sounds a bit disturbing to me.

BTW, I took a Jesus on a tandem last weekend. Might not have been the one you were talking about though. I think this one worked in San Jose.

:DThat is too funny! Im pretty sure Jesus would have skydived if it was around back then, but I dont know for sure, I just think he would have. He seemed to want to really enjoy his creation, hed pray on mountainsides and constantly talk about nature, and I believe he did call the sky good in Genesis... not sure though. Nevertheless, I also worked with a guy named Jesus, coincidentally, he was a Christian! Sounded like the tandem went well! I have great respect for tandem masters, great respect.

You seem to have trouble with the concept of evidence. I need scientific evidence. Tangible evidence that can be duplicated. Not feelings or any thing subjective.

I really am very sorry for that. Belief is one of mans greatest experiences, and what is found there is beautiful and endless. Like the dream of a child is full of life.

This is the message of the Gospel, and I can testify to its truth as can many others.

You forgot to add the word "subjectively" to the end of your sentence. Give us something tangible. That's my challenge to you. Stop speaking in parables.

How can love ever be tangible? Im trying not to speak in parables, but sometimes it seems to be the best way. It wont matter either way, a man hears what he hears whether it is perfectly explained or hidden in parables. Wisdom reveals itself from the inside, that is why people call it enlightening. It has an incredible shock factor at times when it is truly understood, but is just letters and words until then.

Forgive me, but you seem to have a very elementary understanding of God. God is spirit, life is spirit, love is spirit. When I talk about the other side of the door, I am not talking about a place in existance, but rather a place in the heart. Surely you have heard of "The Doors" before? Jim Morrison walked through the other door and it led to his perishing self, his self realized manifestation of death. The door I am speaking of is the door of life. What I have found about life is that it has qualites to it that fill it within us. Recieving love is a great quality of life yes? You might say that if you were in love all the time that you wouldnt have time to feel down. Its not a fantasy, its the truth. Love feels good to us and it inspires us to life in the fullest measure. The difference is that we as humans only have a human concept of love, and alot of us are found wanting. We find it in freinds, we find it in family, dogs, money even, but when we find it at the source, it begins to fill us with power. Now you may say that love is simply an emotion. But I say emotions are only expressions of inspired thoughts. I belive love shares something with everyone and it is the only thing which can unite us all. Of course I believe love is spirit. It is against loves nature to force someone to recieve it, Love desires to be loved and in return gives more and more of itself. As humans, we have the ability to at least acknowledge that love feels good, but we also have the ability to disbelieve and therefore disregard its true power. Love, by its nature (which fills us with goodness) has to be believed to be recieved. Everything in us tells us that we are not loved in the greatest of loves measures, that is the innocence we shed, but Grace is the only thing I have found that testifies against that with a power so incredible, it literally changes lives in miraculous ways.

I swear your posts get less and less comprehensible as you go on. If spouting that lot (whatever it means) is a result of believing in Jesus then I'm going to avoid it like the plague. I would not want that level of weirdness in my life.

Forgive me, but you seem to have a very elementary understanding of God.

And you don't? Show me one person on this planet who can even fathom the concept of some omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator. There's absolutely no coherent explanation for that and, as such, nullifies itself (at least to me) due to laughability. You worship it but cannot even explain it.

God is spirit, life is spirit, love is spirit. When I talk about the other side of the door, I am not talking about a place in existance, but rather a place in the heart.

Cryptic nonsense. The heart is a muscle. If you're speaking of some figurative spirit-world vessel in each human that desires to be loved by a creator who only reveals himself through hand-me-down literature and expect other people to understand and accept it, you have to do a better job of illustrating it. That's always been one of my many problems with Bible teachings, everything is metaphor and parable. Nobody has ever been able to just come right out and say what they're trying to say!

Love feels good to us and it inspires us to life in the fullest measure. The difference is that we as humans only have a human concept of love, and alot of us are found wanting. We find it in freinds, we find it in family, dogs, money even, but when we find it at the source, it begins to fill us with power. Now you may say that love is simply an emotion. But I say emotions are only expressions of inspired thoughts. I belive love shares something with everyone and it is the only thing which can unite us all. Of course I believe love is spirit. It is against loves nature to force someone to recieve it, Love desires to be loved and in return gives more and more of itself.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but this has got to be one of the most incoherent and pointless paragraphs I've ever read. What does it mean? What are you trying to say? To say that love is a manifestation of inspired thought and then talk about how it "desires to be loved" is like saying that hot dogs are a manifestation of a pig's happiness and hot dogs desire to be eaten. Actually, I have fewer problems with that rationale. :D

Everything in us tells us that we are not loved in the greatest of loves measures, that is the innocence we shed, but Grace is the only thing I have found that testifies against that with a power so incredible, it literally changes lives in miraculous ways.

Who "sheds" innocence? Who makes a conscious decision as an eight-year-old (or whatever your arbitrary "age of accountability" happens to be) to not accept love in its fullest measure? Grace doesn't change lives. It's hope. When people "find" religion or spirituality they're building hope on the idea of their existence beyond this existence. It's hubris that makes us want to live forever in one way or another. Believing in something that promises to make that happen changes lives - sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. It can go either way, really.

Love is of course shared in many many ways, but its greatest power is not in how it is shared, but in how it is recieved. Its like provision of wheat. It takes wheat to make wheat, it takes life to make life, it takes love to make love.

Wow. The comparison you're drawing here is, at best, incomprehensible. I'm not jabbing at you, but if this is a major point of the discussion for you could you please try to reword it so that we can figure out what you're trying to convey?

I never said I was an educated adult!

That may be the problem with organized religions and the literature upon which they're founded. I was told once by an ordained minister that I was "over thinking" things and that's why I couldn't accept Christianity. But if it's possible to over think your religion, then your religion is designed for people who follow blindly without questioning. The Bible constantly refers to everyone as "sheep" and "children." Pardon me for saying so, but that doesn't denote innocence and purity to me, it denotes pliability. Those two entities are the most likely to just go with the flow and do what they're told and not question why they're doing it. And that's exactly why Christians have a get-them-while-they're-young-and-impressionable policy for recruitment.

That's not me. I'm a reasonable human being who likes to question the things around me and find out how things work and why. Even Jesus questioned authority and told his disciples to do the same! But Christians say it's OK to question authority...just not God's. :S
Freefall Express

I swear your posts get less and less comprehensible as you go on. If spouting that lot (whatever it means) is a result of believing in Jesus then I'm going to avoid it like the plague. I would not want that level of weirdness in my life.

And its that very reason why you may never have it. At least do me this favor and tell me that you have or have not read the Gospel.

Malice is a rather strong word, kind of like the poster above who said I posted it in rage. In reality, I felt neither malice nor rage and they certainly weren't what prompted my post. Taking a wider view than the small community of dz.com, Christianity is a belief system many people subscribe to. There are also a large number of people who find many of the concepts contained therein completely absurd. I thought this was a humorous expression of the absurdity many of us see in the dogma and my intent was to entertain those people. It was not my intent to offend you, and while not expected, the possibility exists that you or someone else could have gotten a better idea of *why* many of us find some basic concepts of Christianity a bit ridiculous. Like I said, that was just possible, not expected, and it doesn't appear to have had that effect on anyone.

As for the broader discussion with regard to "belief", my question is if belief is what makes life so wonderful, does it stand to reason that the less believable something is, the greater the payoff is for believing it anyhow?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

And spelling? Yes, spelling. As an adult, you should not only be able to write at a High School graduate level but also notice the "Check Spelling" button below the text box into which you're typing your reply.

In all fairness, these forums are littered with spelling and grammatical errors. I think "freind" is not a bad infraction considering. Also, just use a modern browser and your misspellings will be underlined.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

And its that very reason why you may never have it. At least do me this favor and tell me that you have or have not read the Gospel.

Yes I have but so what? The Bible is a pretty good advert for atheism too.

Seriously, does it not bother you that just about everything you post here is incoherent gibberish?

Jesus was just a carpenter, and not a very good one it seems.

After all, he got nailed for the last job he did.

That's fucked up no matter who you're talking about.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Jesus would have been a Middle-Easterner, not an Anglosaxon.

I do think it's funny when I see representations of a white Jesus, but I don't think the ethnicity of this person is clear from the picture. It could be a middle-easterner.

[reply
Sorry, but it is clear you havent read a Gospel, and I dont know why you would speak so against it if you havent even read it. Sounds a bit disturbing to me.

Actually old chap, I was raised by Catholics and educated privately at school run my an Irish Catholic order of preists. I took communion, was confirmed, and served on the altar, as well as taking religious studies for many years. I have more than a working knowledge of scripture, which I'm trying to purge to be honest to make room for normal stuff.

I just always had the nagging suspicion that it was all BS. As I grew older, I became convinced it was just all nonsense. I ditched it all, and have never looked back. It's great to live without fear.

I live by the Wiccan rede. "Be it harm none, do what they wilt shall be the whole of the law".

Works great.