lawrocket

Hmmm. Honesty about the cost of CO2 Abatement

I don't have the link cuz I'm on my Blackberry. But I just read that the head of the Int'l Energy Agency estimates it'll cost roughly $45 trillion to redice CO2 emissions by 50 percent by 2050.

Is that all?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I understand, linds. But that is a VERY significant number.

To wean the world off of fossil fuels, it would be 32 nuclear plants going online each year. And 17,500 wind turbines online each year.

That's not chump change. Obviously, there's a mess. But I am wondering whether it is worth $45 trillion dollars. (That's $150,000 from each American). "Trillion" is a HUGE number.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"Trillion" is a HUGE number.

No it's not. The Bush administration has managed to borrow that much every couple of years. Reagan borrowed that much in 4 years. The national debt is now $9.2Trillion.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Trillion" is a HUGE number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it's not. The Bush administration has managed to borrow that much every couple of years. Reagan borrowed that much in 4 years. The national debt is now $9.2Trillion.

Maybe we should file for bankruptcy and work it out for pennies on the dollar.
Isn't that what a liberal would do?

Trillion" is a HUGE number.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe we should file for bankruptcy and work it out for pennies on the dollar.

Isn't that what a liberal would do?

Well, you fell into that one:P Another self-deluding conservative.

No, it's what the Bush administration IS doing (devaluing your $US). The 2008 $US is worth 55 pennies compared with when Bush came to power.

So Bush is paying 55 pennies on the dollar, and all your prices are going up as a result.

We have to pay our debts?

What has the rest of the world shown in that respect?

There are many nations who have never paid their debts, were given loan forgiveness, and yet ran the tab right back up.

If we had been paid back all those years ago, we might not be in as bad a spot as we are now.

Seems other nations that are virtual piss ants have wised up

They seek to destroy us economically from every quarter, be it their debts, or a trade imbalance.

I guess going to school here and abroad for free helped them alot.

[:/]

We have to pay our debts?

What has the rest of the world shown in that respect?

There are many nations who have never paid their debts, were given loan forgiveness, and yet ran the tab right back up.

If we had been paid back all those years ago, we might not be in as bad a spot as we are now.

Seems other nations that are virtual piss ants have wised up

They seek to destroy us economically from every quarter, be it their debts, or a trade imbalance.

I guess going to school here and abroad for free helped them alot.

[:/]

Since it seems to have escaped your notice, the World's Largest Debtor is the US of A. Three individuals are primarily responsible; their names are Reagan, Bush and Bush.

>But I just read that the head of the Int'l Energy Agency estimates it'll cost
>roughly $45 trillion to redice CO2 emissions by 50 percent by 2050.

Yep. Oddly, that's about the same amount of money it would take to build and fuel (and to transport the fuel) for all the new coal fired power plants we would need to build in the next 40 years to take care of our new energy needs - assuming we ignore all this "environmentalism" stuff.

So spend the money and end up with a dirtier planet, or spend the money and end up with a cleaner planet.

But I just read that the head of the Int'l Energy Agency estimates it'll cost roughly $45 trillion to redice CO2 emissions by 50 percent by 2050.

The figure may or may not be accurate, but it ignores any return on investment.

for example, some of that money would be spent on solar panels. Which would cost a lot up front & contribute to the 45 trillion figure, but would actually wind up paying for themselves over time.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

> And much of the cost will be passed down to the consumers....

ALL of the costs (both direct and indirect) will be passed down to consumers. And that's true for any form of energy.

Kinda cuts counter to the "windfall profit taxs on oil companies to help ordinary Americans pay their energy bills" message, doesn't it?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Kinda cuts counter to the "windfall profit taxs on oil companies to
>help ordinary Americans pay their energy bills" message, doesn't it?

?? That's a wash; you're just moving money around. It's a bad idea anyway.

Agreed.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706