mnealtx

Government spending

mccain isn't bush. mccain doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk.

He also Hawks the Hawk.

Again, if you want to reduce spending, that Iraq war would be a great place to start.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ha ha. Bush talks a good talk against earmarks too.

That's what you guys said about Bush 8 years ago. Turned out he lied about almost everything. I have no confidence that McCain will be any different.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Poor people dying of starvation in the streets would be better, right?

What's really sad is people not taking responsibility for themselves and their families. It's really sad to see generation after generation on welfare of some sort. These programs do more to keep people down than they help. Sometimes people need that push (not having the safety net) to motivate them to be reliant on themselves and not the government.

I don't know how many homeless or down on their luck people you've spoken with, but I've done my share. Every single person I spoke with was more than capable to work. Most of them didn't want to. They made more money begging - and they didn't have to be accountable to anyone else. They enjoyed that freedom more than the weekly paycheck.

Poor people dying of starvation in the streets would be better, right?

What's really sad is people not taking responsibility for themselves and their families. It's really sad to see generation after generation on welfare of some sort. These programs do more to keep people down than they help. Sometimes people need that push (not having the safety net) to motivate them to be reliant on themselves and not the government.

I don't know how many homeless or down on their luck people you've spoken with, but I've done my share. Every single person I spoke with was more than capable to work. Most of them didn't want to. They made more money begging - and they didn't have to be accountable to anyone else. They enjoyed that freedom more than the weekly paycheck.

2nd request: Please post a cite to these alleged studies.

I think that the suggestions made for clean bills, public scrutiny and cost accounting would result in MORE public awareness of the waste evident in current spending and more pressure on Congress to cut out the pork.

What do you define as pork spending>? Citizens against Government Waste came up with $17.2 billion in pork spending for 2008 up from $13.2 billion in 2007.

This is out of a total budget of $2,794 billion budgeted in 2007. Which does not include the cost of The War which is a separate congressional appropriation (approx an additional $200 billion per year).

Pork Spending is approx 0.5% of total government spending.

Mandatory Spending (SS, Medicare/Medicaid, Unemployment, and Vet Benefits) totaled $1,623.6 billion last year.

Of the $1,170.7 billion in discretionary spending, congress voted to spend $548.8 billion on defense and $243.7 billion in interest payments due on the national debit (currently $9,140 billion).

The budget was $387 billion higher than the tax revenue for 2007 (i.e. we planned to increase the debt by $387 billion).;) This doesn't include The War which was an additional $200 billion.

The simple analogy to personal finance:

The US government owes roughly 3x what it earns every year and is over spending by 20% per year. It will take cutting more than "pork spending" to address the budget/ spending problems of government.:|
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I find it truly amazing that despite overwhelming evidence that we have lived through nearly 8 years of one of the most incompetent, deceitful, secretive, and controlling administrations in US history; one that has presided over a massive devaluation of the $US, over world record deficits, over the largest increase in government spending in history, over a very expensive war started under false pretenses, over the "export" of high paying jobs while looking the other way, whose energy policy is to give money to the big oil executives, who fiddled while the housing finance industry imploded requiring taxpayer bailout...

...that there are still people on here who blame our economic woes on the poor.

I don't think it is up to the government to educate my children.

Here is where we differ.

By all accounts, I'm not what most people would ever consider to be a modest man. I consider myself to be fairly well informed on a wide range of topics. That said, I am modest enough to know that I don't know everything and recognize that, in fact, there are areas I'm woefully lacking in.

I think it takes a really "special" kind of person to think he knows enough to even teach his kids to the 6th grade level without any formal training.

Now, maybe you actually have a teaching credential of some sort. Ok, then you're a rare exception, but most of the people that want to "home school" their children are really doing them a disservice.

Perhaps you should become better informed on all the resources that are available to home schoolers then, instead of talking out of your 4th point of contact and implying that they're winging it.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I find it truly amazing that despite overwhelming evidence that we have lived through nearly 8 years of one of the most incompetent, deceitful, secretive, and controlling administrations in US history; one that has presided over a massive devaluation of the $US, over world record deficits, over the largest increase in government spending in history, over a very expensive war started under false pretenses, over the "export" of high paying jobs while looking the other way, whose energy policy is to give money to the big oil executives, who fiddled while the housing finance industry imploded requiring taxpayer bailout...

...that there are still people on here who blame our economic woes on the poor.

Oh, what a crock of crap - NOBODY here is saying that except YOU.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That's what you guys said about Bush 8 years ago. Turned out he lied about almost everything. I have no confidence that McCain will be any different.

unlike bush, mccain has a senate record that can be checked. you don't have to believe anything he says, you can look at what he has actually done. don't believe me, look for yourself at how much money in earmarks he has asked for for arizona. you can try to take this debate a different direction if you want, but i'm not going to follow you right now. my first post in this thread was a direct response to pork spending mentioned by the op and that is what i'm taking about here. if you care to respond to me concerning that, please do but stop wasting my time you your ever-present bush-bashing. it got old several years ago.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

unlike bush, mccain has a senate record that can be checked. you don't have to believe anything he says, you can look at what he has actually done. don't believe me, look for yourself at how much money in earmarks he has asked for for arizona. you can try to take this debate a different direction if you want, but i'm not going to follow you right now. my first post in this thread was a direct response to pork spending mentioned by the op and that is what i'm taking about here. if you care to respond to me concerning that, please do but stop wasting my time you your ever-present bush-bashing. it got old several years ago.

So you agree with me about Bush, but just don't like reading it. That's cool. Shows admirable progress.

Defanition of BS research........ My point of view............ Any research that is pointless except to benofit the state in which a congress man/woman reprosents. Such as enviromental research. The enviroment is not in danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quit researching cow farts and car emisions. Tell you what just go back to researching global cooling like you idiots (in the gov. and special interest groups) did in the 80's. Oh did everybody else forget about that???? Im so sorry for bringing it back up. Just search your local pork barrel projects and see what kind of stupid research there are doing with your tax dollars.

How do you feel about the state of the education system in the US?

Do you think federal money should be spent to ensure all citizens reach a basic level of reading, writing and mathematics?

He should certainly be concerned about the state of spelling education.

I dont care how good i can spell. I dont do bad for myself, spelling has never made me a dollar! Do care to reply to my post????? Or do not like to reply to people that challenge your liberal speech????
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

...that there are still people on here who blame our economic woes on the ignorant liberal professor's that are indoctornating our students. Fixed it.

Indoctornating - a new word for med school professors administering the Hippocratic Oath. But why creating new doctors is the cause of economic woes is a mystery to me. :|

PS: on the subject of ignorance, an apostrophe does not mean "There's an 's' coming"

Defanition of BS research........ My point of view............ Any research that is pointless except to benofit the state in which a congress man/woman reprosents. Such as enviromental research. The enviroment is not in danger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Quit researching cow farts and car emisions. Tell you what just go back to researching global cooling like you idiots (in the gov. and special interest groups) did in the 80's. Oh did everybody else forget about that???? Im so sorry for bringing it back up. Just search your local pork barrel projects and see what kind of stupid research there are doing with your tax dollars.

How do you feel about the state of the education system in the US?

Do you think federal money should be spent to ensure all citizens reach a basic level of reading, writing and mathematics?

He should certainly be concerned about the state of spelling education.

I dont care how good i can spell. I dont do bad for myself, spelling has never made me a dollar! Do care to reply to my post????? Or do just like to challenge peoples post that dont prove your liberal speech wrong??????

:D

Would you like to re-write that in English?

I dont agree on how they spend the money. And im not just talking inflation There are schools that spend less per student but produse better grades. I will challenge the school either way.

I dont agree on how they spend the money. And im not just talking inflation There are schools that spend less per student but produse better grades. I will challenge the school either way.

I suggest we'd all be better off if you'd spent as much time paying attention in school as you do whining about schools.

Would you like to coment on any subject except spelling????? Or does the proffesor not like to be proved wrong?????

You haven't proved anything except that you can't spell, your grammar is poor, and you don't understand economics. There's nothing in any of your rants for anyone to disprove.

Of course you would be better off, cuase there would be one less person calling you out on your lies.... since you talking about politics.... whats your congress done for us so far??? Now that dems. and Nancy are runnign things????? Or we could talk about global warming????

Of course you would be better off, cuase there would be one less person calling you out on your lies.... since you talking about politics.... whats your congress done for us so far??? Now that dems. and Nancy are runnign things????? Or we could talk about global warming????

Are you calling me a liar?

Would you like to coment on any subject except spelling????? Or does the proffesor not like to be proved wrong?????

You haven't proved anything except that you can't spell, your grammar is poor, and you don't understand economics. There's nothing in any of your rants for anyone to disprove.

And the only thing you have proved is that you can spell and have good grammer. You must be so proud of yourself. :S

I said no such, there is a difference between a liar and someone that lies. Liars tend to be more compulsive. I thought someone that was as smart as you would understand that.:S

And the only thing you have proved is that you can spell and have good grammer. You must be so proud of yourself. :S

It beats the alternative.

Now, about calling me a liar?