Squeak

Is the USofA Ready for a "Black" President

We've been ready for a black president for some time.

When you say "WE" are you refering to the big city WASP type "W"E or the urban/rural less than cosmopolitain type "WE", i ask because although I have enjoyed my 3 times in the States and will again in December.
Traveling through the inland Lower states is kinda scary, the bigotry is out and proud.

Cool...and there's no tensions with the aborigini down there?:P

Racism is a two way street.

This is an interesting comment. We have been noticing here that there are blacks who will NOT be voting for Obama, and our theory is that they may subconsciencely be thinking that their entire basis of being the down trodden oppressed society goes away when he suddenly "makes it".
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

If Obama loses, it'll be because his message did not connect. If he wins it'll be because it did.

I hope that is that way the vote works.
I'm not sure how realisitic it is though. Do you truely believe that the election is based on the "pollitical message" as oppossed to a celebrity type popularity contest? (as the millions of dollars spent in the media would seem to indicate).

This is why i posted the poll, i would love to think that race/colour is not on the agenda for the voters, but i dont think that will be the case.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Do you truely believe that the election is based on the "pollitical message" as oppossed to a celebrity type popularity contest?

That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work...and still does, for the people that research the issues.

Unfortunately, that set DOESN'T include the majority of the American public....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

We have been noticing here that there are blacks who will NOT be voting for Obama, and our theory is that they may subconsciencely be thinking that their entire basis of being the down trodden oppressed society goes away when he suddenly "makes it".

I've got a different theory - they simply find that they agree more with another candidate.

Out of the two remaining majory part candidates, I find myself favoring Obama - as I have since the end of last year. I don't support him because he's black, any more that I revile Clinton because she's a woman (I don't like her because her campaign rhetoric is arrogant and sociopathic).

I can't find myself happy with McCain. I can't even really support my party's nominee because I don't buy it that he's a Libertarian.

So I'll look to the platform, and whom I believe to be most trustwrthy or best suited. It turns out, most people look the same way. That's why there were "Reagan Democrats." It was about what they thought of the candidate.

And yet race and sex keep being injected - seemingly to make it something different tha what it is.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I have travelled across OZ and been to small and large cities from Sidney to Corowa to Aerlie Beach. Talk about some scary racism...makes US Southern Rednecks look like Harvard Grads in some of the pubs.;)

I think if Colin Powell came out of the woodwork and ran as an independent, apologized for drinking the GWB Kool Aid and wanted redemption, he would be elected in a landslide.

When I look at Obama, I don't see a black man, just someone well spoken and educated that wants to work hard to right this country.

We need a leader to pull Congress and the citizens together for a better future.

GWB, Rummy, Rove, Cheney and Condy should be hung for treason against the US. They pissed on our Constitution, started a useless war (thanks to the Ausssies for coming along, really, you guys are great allies) devalued the dollar, mortgaged the future, tortured, deceived, duped, didn't find Osama, the list is endless.

Aesop said "We hang the petty thiefs and empower the really good ones"

I have travelled across OZ and been to small and large cities from Sidney to Corowa to Aerlie Beach. Talk about some scary racism...makes US Southern Rednecks look like Harvard Grads in some of the pubs.;)

this has never been in question, I am appalled at our racial record. I find it interesting that somepeople feel the need to drag that up in response to a totally unrelated question though. it's as if some feel they have to justify their nations bigotry by saying "yeah well you do it too" slightly grade schoolish:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

this has never been in question, I am appalled at our racial record. I find it interesting that somepeople feel the need to drag that up in response to a totally unrelated question though. it's as if some feel they have to justify their nations bigotry by saying "yeah well you do it too" slightly grade schoolish:ph34r:

That falls under the "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" category - glad I could straighten that out for you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Do you truely believe that the election is based on the "pollitical message" as oppossed to a celebrity type popularity contest?

It's both. It's why Reagan took everyplace but Washington DC and Minnesota in 1984. Mondale lacked the message that the American voters wanted, and lacked the personality to deliver it positively.

Put him next the "Uncle Ronnie" the "Great Communicator." Dammit, people like him. He was a celebritty name. And he had good ideas.

Schwartzenegger could not have been governor without his name. It turns out his message connected, too, which is why Gary Coleman didn't make it to the governorship.

It's both.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That falls under the "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" category - glad I could straighten that out for you.

you're a bitter narrow mindedckinda guy aren't ya mike:D:D:D

I wasn't throwing stones i was commenting on what i have personally seen and experienced. My nations racism was never in querstion, as we are not having an election, and dont have any one of colour running for head of state here.
If we did i am pretty certain and ashamedly so) that they would be unsuccessful purely based on their Aboriginality.

you seem to be the type (based on your respsonses in SC at least) to argue for arguments sake I hope that work well for you:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Serious question time. Could a Black, Hispanic, Muslim/Middle Easterner or Asian become the leader of Australia? Canada? Great Britain?

Canada and Great Britian, I think would have a better chance, than USofA or OZ
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We've been ready for a black president for some time.

When you say "WE" are you refering to the big city WASP type "W"E or the urban/rural less than cosmopolitain type "WE", i ask because although I have enjoyed my 3 times in the States and will again in December.
Traveling through the inland Lower states is kinda scary, the bigotry is out and proud.

When I say "we" I mean the USofA, that was the subject.

It also appears that you yourself have already formed an opinion, thus making this poll a rhetorical exercise. Thanks.

Squeak brought a lot of baggage with him when he toured the US.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

So is the condescension. It's alright if I say that, isn't it? I mean, I know I'm just a "seppo"....

:D:Dwho pissed in your cornflakes today:D:D
There is no condescension here, i am stating what i see as an outsider traveling through the USofA.
Im major cites where there is a larger population of nationalities, bigotry is less obvious. when i have travelled through the smaller towns particulary in the lower states, I found it to be much more overt.
That's why i posted this thread, I'm interested in seeing if people think that the USofA as a whole is socially ready for a person of colour to be their leader.

Read into it what ever you want, be as nasty as you chose it's not a problem for me, you just make youeslef look petty:ph34r:

No, there *IS* condescension - mostly from people outside the US that view anyone from south of DC, west of Florida and east of Arizona to be Cro-Magnon knuckledraggers. Quite comical coming from people who coined such terms as "seppos", "abos", "pikeys", etc.

Is there bigotry in the south? Yup, there is. There's bigotry in the north, east and west, too....from all colors and all walks of life.

That 'redneck bigot' is most likely the guy you passed on the shoulder of the highway, changing a tire for an old black (*gasp*) lady in a pouring rain. That 'redneck bigot' is most likely the one that's stepped ahead to hold the door open for that young mother trying to herd 3 small kids into the grocery store. That 'redneck bigot' is most like the one that just handed you 50 cents with a "y'all have a good day, now" while you're digging change out of your pocket standing in front of a coke machine.

I think you are being unnessasarily harsh on Cro-Magnons. ;)

People outside of the geographic area you described realize that it was the Neanderthols who were the knuckle draggers. Believed to be extinct by most, some scholars feel their descendants do, indeed, inhabit the area now known as Texas. :)
-----------------------

Serious question time. Could a Black, Hispanic, Muslim/Middle Easterner or Asian become the leader of Australia? Canada? Great Britain?

UK (is all I know) - Hey we've already got a Jock P.M:P

Not sure (probably not yet) but we have had a woman P.M (dont see it happening again any time soon, not because of bias but because there aren't many suitable on my radar).

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I grew up in the deep south. I would vote for Colin Powell in a heart beat. I will not vote for Obama. He is the most racist candidate out there. Look at his mentors. He's nothing but bad news waiting to happen. What he is going to change and how? He doesn't know...

You mean Colin "there is nothing to investigate at My Lai" Powell? Not even with an arrhythmic heartbeat.

The democrats, IMO, don't understand economics, nor do they expect personal responsibility

That's a common misconception. Please name a Democrat president since the assassination of JFK that has allowed spending to increase faster than revenue. Can you name all the Republicans that have allowed it to happen? Clue Answer

It's difficult believe rhetoric about personal responsibility from such a fiscally irresponsible party.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I grew up in the deep south. I would vote for Colin Powell in a heart beat. I will not vote for Obama. He is the most racist candidate out there. Look at his mentors. He's nothing but bad news waiting to happen. What he is going to change and how? He doesn't know...

So, basically what you are saying is political zealotry trumps racial bigotry?
-----------------------

It also appears that you yourself have already formed an opinion, thus making this poll a rhetorical exercise. Thanks.

Squeak brought a lot of baggage with him when he toured the US.
Actually no he didnt, One bag on arrival, I did however have to buy a duffle to go home with. I left the USofA with more baggage than i arrived:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What we're not ready for is a mixed race person who only claims one side of his heritage because it's politically convenient, and playing to a large portion of the population because they believe that they are owed.

My personal take on this election is - it isn't race or gender. It's very much policies. The democrats, IMO, don't understand economics.

OH, like Bush and the GOP understand economics:D.

Apparently you've forgotten: $US at record low, foreclosures at record high, major instability in energy costs, world record budget deficit, world record debt mostly accruing under Reagan, Bush Sr and Bush Jr., government spending out of control under a GOP Congress with GOP President. "Earmarks" more than doubling under the GOP controlled Congress.

Yup, the GOP sure understands economics.:D

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If he gets in I'll give him a couple of months before he's assasinated by some nutter.

Most likely scenario - If Hillary gets a VP slot with him, then he'll be assasinated in a few months. She'll do anything to get the top job. And she'll play it off for as much political leverage as she can.

this will all happen during the big depression they'll both bring which is slightly worse than the one McCain would also trigger.

Edit: I won't vote in a racist poll. People make a conscious choice to let cosmetic issues affect their decisions or to obsess about others not being as "evolved" as they are on the same cosmetic issues. Lawrocket gets it, I can't add more. All I can hope, is that the various forms of racists, sexists, etc out there will cancel out each other.

I like Jenfly's comment best - political zealotry will cancel out these little things every single time - and CLEARLY in both directions

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If he gets in I'll give him a couple of months before he's assasinated by some nutter.

If Hillary is VP, it may only be a matter of days.;)

Might not even be the first time. There was a documentary on the JFK assassination that focused on a theory that vice president LBJ was behind it all because he wanted to be the president. I don't quite believe that scenario but the program was pretty good.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban