Squeak

Is the USofA Ready for a "Black" President

Answer the question as stated and stop trying to sidetrack it, or kindly stay out of the discussion if you can't.

That's kind of funny given your non-answer of the question in the thread title and subsequent discussion of taxation rather than race. :D

Blues,
Dave

Show me *ONE* thread that *HASN'T* gotten sidetracked - shall I look up the number of times you've done the same?

Regardless, your point is taken.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Answer the question as stated and stop trying to sidetrack it, or kindly stay out of the discussion if you can't.

That's kind of funny given your non-answer of the question in the thread title and subsequent discussion of taxation rather than race. :D

Blues,
Dave

Show me *ONE* thread that *HASN'T* gotten sidetracked - shall I look up the number of times you've done the same?

Regardless, your point is taken.

Hey, don't be getting all defensive there Mike, I just thought it was funny. :P:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>merely that he can't disinvest himself from the tax/spend issue . . .

Correct. They are inseparable. To "disinvest" the two would make as much sense as a financial advisor who looks at how much a person spends but not how much they make, and gives advice like "get another three credit cards if you are having money troubles." Indeed, people who cannot see both the tax and spend side of things are the reason we got into this problem to begin with.

>to be able to discuss the theory of taxation being a punitive measure.

Taxation is not punitive and should not be, any more than education is (or should be) punitive. Education takes years and years and costs a lot of money - but would you consider it "punitive?" Only in the most narrow sense. Education is better seen as an investment in one's future.

Likewise, the government should spend the money it gets such that we get benefit from it. They should provide for defense (which has great value) a court system (which provides us a good deal of protection) services like CDC and ATC that benefit everyone.

Taxation should be structured so it has the minimum overall impact to the economy. As an example, the truest "fair tax" would be to charge every US citizen $42,000 a year. That way everyone pays the same amount.

That, of course, is completely impractical, since many people would not be able to pay. After a few years we would be paying far more in prison fees than we do now, and taxes on the remaining payers would rise rapidly.

Thus we have a proportional tax system, where those who make more pay more in taxes. This is to minimize the negative impacts of taxation on the overall economic system. How progressive that system is has been debated extensively; opinion range from a "flat tax" to a progressive tax rate to "rich taxes" which are taxes targeted for the rich.

It is useful to talk about how to apportion taxes so that the economy is impacted the least. It is not useful to pretend that we can simply reduce them without serious economic problems, or that they are penalties levied by evil politicians on hapless entities that the politicians dislike.

What part of "no discussion about the deficit or spending" did you NOT read?

:D:D:DHello pot meet Kettle:D:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We've been ready for a black president for some time.

When you say "WE" are you refering to the big city WASP type "W"E or the urban/rural less than cosmopolitain type "WE", i ask because although I have enjoyed my 3 times in the States and will again in December.
Traveling through the inland Lower states is kinda scary, the bigotry is out and proud.

Cool...and there's no tensions with the aborigini down there?:P

Racism is a two way street.
Yeah. Try walking thru the hood as a white boy in the USA and see what happens. Best be packin.;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Bush 43 is pretty much the most despised US president in history, with an abysmal 69% disapproval rating largely due to his Mid-Eastern debacle. McCain is at least perceived as being more willing to continue there.

And Congress' disapproval rating is even higher - does that mean they'll be 'most despised', too?

You have to differentiate between Congress and one's Congressman. Very few Senators or Representatives get a 69% disapproval rating, unless they just killed their intern or got busted in the men's bathroom. The majority of legislatures have a greater than 50% approval. But the views of Congress as a whole are really a measure of one's approval of 535 people. It's no surprise that this tends to be low.

Yup, the GOP sure understands economics.:D

Unfortunately, the Reps learned the overspending game all too well from the Dems - there's really no difference between the parties anymore in that regard.

Rebut.

Well, your premise is wrong so the rest of your post is moot. Deficit spending increases MORE under a GOP president and Congress than under a Dem one. When it comes to increasing spending without corresponding increase in revenues, the GOP is the heavywight champion. True of Nixon, true of Reagan, true of both Bushes.

What part of "no discussion about the deficit or spending" did you NOT read?

Who made you King of the World? I'll write what I like subject to the moderators' approval.

It is NAIVE IN THE EXTREME to ignore deficit spending by the GOP in discussing economic policy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal take on this election is - it isn't race or gender. It's very much policies. The democrats, IMO, don't understand economics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH, like Bush and the GOP understand economics.

Apparently you've forgotten: $US at record low, foreclosures at record high, major instability in energy costs, world record budget deficit, world record debt mostly accruing under Reagan, Bush Sr and Bush Jr., government spending out of control under a GOP Congress with GOP President. "Earmarks" more than doubling under the GOP controlled Congress.

Yup, the GOP sure understands economics.

And the solution will be, to double our taxes across the board?

I just saw where Ed McMahon is dealing with foreclosure on his mansion. Let's punish the filthy rich.

In Reply To

My personal take on this election is - it isn't race or gender. It's very much policies. The democrats, IMO, don't understand economics.

OH, like Bush and the GOP understand economics.

Apparently you've forgotten: $US at record low, foreclosures at record high, major instability in energy costs, world record budget deficit, world record debt mostly accruing under Reagan, Bush Sr and Bush Jr., government spending out of control under a GOP Congress with GOP President. "Earmarks" more than doubling under the GOP controlled Congress.

Yup, the GOP sure understands economics.

And the solution will be, to double our taxes across the board?

I just saw where Ed McMahon is dealing with foreclosure on his mansion. Let's punish the filthy rich.

In Royd World I suppose that is the only solution.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

He is the most racist candidate out there. Look at his mentors.

good grief -- this is straight out of the lowest drawer republican propaganda machine.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Frankly, I'm more than ready to have the president simply be a president, instead of black, female, jewish, etc.

Well said
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

who are as inbread as they come.

yeasty codpieces - all of them

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants