billvon

A really, really bad idea

Right now, most of the work done on animal disease (specifically animal disease that can infect livestock) is done on Plum Island, an isolated island off the coast of Long Island. You can only get there by ferry, and there are warnings about it on most maps. There are additional restrictions - workers who commute by ferry cannot own pets and cannot go to locations with animals (zoos, circuses, farm fairs) for a week after their last on-duty stint.

They have this level of precaution because there have been outbreaks on Plum Island. In 1978, a variant of hoof-and-mouth disease was accidentally released from the facility and infected livestock in holding pens on the island. Most of the livestock was slaughtered to stop the outbreak.

Now the facility is getting dated, and they want to build another one. The administration's plan? Build the new one on the mainland. Options they give are:

Manhattan, Kansas
Athens, Georgia
Butner, North Carolina
San Antonio, Texas
Flora, Mississippi

Why put the facility in areas so close to livestock? Well, because according to Pat Roberts (R-Kan) "it will mean jobs" and spur research and development in his state.

Dr. Roger Breeze, former director of the facility, thinks it should be kept out of those areas and either isolated on an island or placed in an area where extremely hazardous biological work is already taking place.

But don't worry. The White House, when asked, said "modern safety rules at labs are sufficient to avoid any outbreak."

But don't worry. The White House, when asked, said "modern safety rules at labs are sufficient to avoid any outbreak."

Well there you have it, that's good enough for me.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

this will turn into a typical NIMBY debate.

this is a good thing, since infectious disease is a neighborhood concern. I think San Clemente Island would be best. Whenever an outbreak occurs, the navy guys can bomb the livestock into purification.

Having it on the mainland - not cool.

Plum Island is still under consideration as a site, btw. There's still the hurdle of overcoming current law prohibiting research of FMD on the mainland, as well.

Assuming the above passes, the facility would be a Level 4 containment facility. If it remains at Plum Island (doubtful), it would be ugraded to a Level 4 facility.

While I don't agree with moving the site to the mainland, the CDC's EIDL facility in Atlanta is a Level 4 containment as well and works on HUMAN diseases - do you have the same opposition to that site in regards to experimentation?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>do you have the same opposition to that site in regards to experimentation?

Provided the same level of isolation is maintained, then no. I would worry, though, that bovine diseases will not get the same level of attention/worry/paranoia as human diseases.

Provided the same level of isolation is maintained, then no. I would worry, though, that bovine diseases will not get the same level of attention/worry/paranoia as human diseases.

I don't disagree in that regard, and (as said above) think it's a better idea to keep it off-shore.

Hell, build it on a platform 50 miles out in the ocean, for that matter.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

[shakes head] I guess that your government has never talked to folks over here. Our latest 2007 Foot & Mouth cases were attributed to a leak from our mainland based facility at Pirbright.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Worth compareing to put into perspective

http://www.dhs.gov/xres/labs/editorial_0901.shtm

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~nscentral/news/2004/jun/vet.shtml

My point?

A level 3 Ag disease facility has existed on the main land for years.

This looks like a political football and not a real issue to me

One more addition to add:
I am not saying good or bad. If there are big differences I would like to know them for a better understanding
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't disagree in that regard, and (as said above) think it's a better idea to keep it off-shore.

I am thinking the farther from the mainland for ANY of these facilities.. the better.

I would even add the labs that do genetic manipulation.

The arrogance of people that beleive nothing can go wrong is something that can and will bite us in the ass one of these days.

And the ones that have been on the mainland for the last 30 years? What would you do with them?
Abraham Lincoln

I am thinking the farther from the mainland for ANY of these facilities.. the better.

The arrogance of people that beleive nothing can go wrong is something that can and will bite us in the ass one of these days.

Spot on
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Spot on

Ya all just ignoring the fact they have been here for 30 years just for fun?
Abraham Lincoln

"Not yet" doesn't equal "Never".

.jim

and your point is obvious

Why do you take a reserve on your skydives? Oh yes, man made systems fail, sooner or later.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

.jim

and your point is obvious

Why do you take a reserve on your skydives? Oh yes, man made systems fail, sooner or later.

Yet another typical kallend obtuse reply.

Thanks for your help:S
Abraham Lincoln

.jim

and your point is?

I think what there trying to say is just cos its been there 30 years doesnt mean something bad isnt going to happen and for the sake of safty those sorts of instillations should be moved off shore.....

If you need me to simplify i can send you a pm:)
.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

Genetically altered corn has been used for years. The genetic markers ..of this enhanced and altered and patented corn is showing up in what used to be normal corn... unintended consequences... but hey that cant happen right???

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0000008&ct=1

Risky Business
After seven years of GM crop production and no apparent health effects, potential environmental risks—particularly gene flow into other species—have eclipsed food safety as a primary concern. As pollen and seeds move in the environment, they can transmit genetic traits to nearby crops or wild relatives. Many self-pollinating crops, such as wheat, barley, and potatoes, have a low frequency of gene flow, but the more promiscuous, such as sugar beets and corn, merit greater concern.

“The gene flow risk that keeps me awake at night is the possibility of hybridization between crops engineered to manufacture poisons and related crops intended for human consumption,” says plant geneticist Norman Ellstrand. Indeed, this application of GM crops seeks to turn corn into cost-effective pharmaceutical factories and may bear the mark of unacceptable risk. It is currently the subject of intense debate. An open-pollinated crop, corn is known for its promiscuity—making it more prone to gene flow risks than other crops. Genetic contamination takes on a whole new meaning when the escapable trait could produce proteins to treat diabetes or a hepatitis B vaccine.

Given that pharma corn demands multiple safety measures—including production in remote areas, separate farm equipment, delayed planting to offset pollination—many ask, “Why use corn?” “We know so much about corn genetics,” explains agricultural biotechnologist Guy Cardineau, “and it naturally lends itself to production with kernel packets of protein that can be stored indefinitely.” A number of scientists and United States food makers are not yet convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks and have joined environmental groups in questioning the use of pharma corn.

LOL...there's already a BSL-3 there...

Mike, what is the containment level of Southwest Research here in San Antonio?? If i had to guess an area around here that is under consideration that would be it.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.