krabberkris

Photo Radar Speed Traps ![unimpressed]

I can't stand photo radar.
This method of enforcing the traffic laws can be very suspect at times.I drive defensively and sometimes I just can't win.

I was driving down a major traffic artery in Tempe , Ariz. and the "flash" from the cameras made it clear that I was in fact going over the limit of 35 MPH on a road that I have driven for years at the limit of 45 MPH. Oh , and not to mention , they placed the new cameras at the "new" lower limit near the Arizona State Univ. campus hoping to capture a great photo of unfamiliar visitors going over the speed limit in and on a road where you would NEVER expect to go that slow. This is a 6 lane (3 in each direction) roadway.Don't let the name Rural (Scottsdale) Road fool you if you're in this (Metro Phoenix) area.

In Scottsdale , Ariz , the color of the whole camera apparatus , pole and all , is colored to blend in with the environment. Sneaky , eh?

The Vans that contain these cameras are nearly always placed where the speed limit changes . I have to admit that they do put up signs warning in advance that these cameras are approaching , but they are the size of a cereal box.

I mailed my check to the City of Tempe . Well , It was not actually "THE" check itself...but a picture of it ! Ha! Ha! Ha!
I figured since they were nice enough to charge me for a "shock" photo of myself wearing my sunglasses and baseball hat driving my F150 , I would send them a "shock" photo of B of A check # 310 for $160.00

I'll wait a little and go down there , pay that crap and spill my guts all over them....hope they don't lock me up.

Peace out
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

If they have any sense of humor, they'll send you back a photo of hand-cuffs.:ph34r:

Photo radar is crap. I read about one town having some of its red-light cameras shot out by someone recently.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

near the Arizona State Univ. campus hoping

So let me get this straight, you are complaining about them enforcing a law you knew about. and further complaining that they lowered the speed near an area which would reasonably be expected to have a large ammount of young adults and teens around, oh yeah that rtight that call them SCHOOLS (tertiary but non the less), and all you got for speeding through it was a fine for $160.00.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

near the Arizona State Univ. campus hoping

So let me get this straight, you are complaining about them enforcing a law you knew about. and further complaining that they lowered the speed near an area which would reasonably be expected to have a large ammount of young adults and teens around, oh yeah that rtight that call them SCHOOLS (tertiary but non the less), and all you got for speeding through it was a fine for $160.00.

Tertiary!?! :D That's one hell of an old school!
"T'was ever thus."

You broke the law... suck it up cup-cake:P..
They'll laugh their tits off when they receive the photo of the cheque... they won't have seen that one before ;)

P.S I agree with you on the Speed camera... they stink and and Revenue Cameras not Safety cameras (at least over here in the U,K and I very much doubt that their function is any different in any other country.) - We now have a new evil [devil] - Parking Cameras... we can get a ticket through the post if we are 'seen' stopping our cars in a naughty fashion:S>:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Are you a cop? My key word on this post was "suspect"
These cameras are placed in areas that can be unfair to the best of drivers. They locate these things not for safety , but for MONEY.

These cameras are placed in areas that can be unfair to the best of drivers. They locate these things not for safety , but for MONEY.

My Brother-in-Law was a cop in British Columbia when they brought in Photo-Radar. He was a pretty straight character but one night he went on a rant about Photo-Radar and said that the cops at his detacthment didn't like them 'cause they were getting tagged too.

He went on about a night when a couple of them snuck up to a Photo-Van at night on their own time, took off the Van's License Plate, then put in on one of their personal vehicles. Then they blew through by the Photo-Vans Zone several times before putting the plate back on the Van. Would have love to see the technicians reaction to developing that roll and matching up the plate to the van that took the picture!:D:D

The games cops play when they are bored.....

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Well...you did say that there was a sign telling drivers that the cameras were being used ahead. In my mind that makes it pretty hard to complain about unfairness. Ya' gotta own that one. I'd suggest paying closer attention to things like signs and speed limits in the future.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Where I live (Athens Georgia USA) there were two intersections where there was a high rate of accidents with injuries or major damage because of people running red lights. Since red-light cameras were installed the number of injuries has gone down significantly, although there are slightly more non-injury fender-bender rear end collisions because people still expect the car ahead to push the light. To get the same effect with police, we would have to hire several more officers and raise taxes or close libraries/parks to pay for it, or have fewer officers to respond if you call about a burglary or something. It seems to me the people who complain the most are the slow learners who get tagged 2-3 times before they figure out that red really means stop.

Blue ones,
Don

Absolutely.... People who jump Red Lights are just plane fucking stupid.... They shouldn't be worreid about having their photo taken whilst breakingthe law, but rather that they could die and kill other people - Dick Heads>:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

True dat.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Where I live (Athens Georgia USA) there were two intersections where there was a high rate of accidents with injuries or major damage because of people running red lights. Since red-light cameras were installed the number of injuries has gone down significantly, there are slightly more non-injury fender-bender rear end collisions because people still expect the car ahead to push the light.

Is there something wrong with dumbfucks who get into accidents? It may weed out the less fit (Darwin) AND provide revenue to the garages that fix the cars. Who loses here?

Is there something wrong with dumbfucks who get into accidents? It may weed out the less fit (Darwin) AND provide revenue to the garages that fix the cars. Who loses here?

The innocent people in the car the idiot hits? B|B|B|

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Shouldn't you be paying attention at the intersections (and everywhere else)? Defensive driving. Survival of the fittest.

I drive in Egypt where there are no rules, lights, signs, etc. Most people here do not go through any drivers training to get their license. You have to be vigilant in your driving - really pay attention. You are driving a massive piece of equipment that is capable of killing and so is everyone else on the road - most people don't see it that way. The answer is not more laws/rules/etc.

Cars don't kill people. People kill people. :S

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

the cops at his detacthment didn't like them 'cause they were getting tagged too....

yeah, enforcing the law in a non-biased manner really sucks

what's the point of being an insider if you can't get special perks?

if you can't be a cop and get a little bit of leeway when breaking the law yourself, then what's the point of all the training?

etc

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I though of a way to defeat these, and I think I could design it. All you would need is a flash sensor (slave) on the back of your car, and a small flash in the area just above your plate, where the little light is. When the sensor sees the flash from the speed camera, it triggers the flash above the plate, and it would totally wash out the plate and make it just a white blob in the middle of the photo. I could demonstrate this very easily with camera gear that I have.

Any thoughts?

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Shouldn't you be paying attention at the intersections (and everywhere else)? Defensive driving. Survival of the fittest.

I drive in Egypt where there are no rules, lights, signs, etc. Most people here do not go through any drivers training to get their license. You have to be vigilant in your driving - really pay attention. You are driving a massive piece of equipment that is capable of killing and so is everyone else on the road - most people don't see it that way. The answer is not more laws/rules/etc.

I once spent six months in Syria and living the "Offensive Driving" style of driving. Although it was different driving with very informal rules of the road and essencially zero traffic enforcent, the consequeces of accidents were high.

In addition, not a lot of Traffic Lights in the smaller town. They had them in the cities but with the rolling blackouts, they generally didn't work for a couple of hours a day then. Oh, yeah, plus army soldiers with AK-47's at pretty well every intersection (a little better armed then North American Traffic Cops).

I'll stick with the North American method. There is enough aggressive driving on the roads without resorting to anarchy. The "informal" rules that apply to driving in the Middle East are not part of the culture or the mindset here.

Have a good one.

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

There was a site a while back selling basically a very HIGH Gloss Spray. Their claim was that if you sprayed this on your tag, It would not be noticed but if a Bright Flash it would be so reflective that it would blind the Camera.

I doubt it really worked but it was a funny idea.

<>

Yes it's illegal

Where? Why? Can you show me the law? I fail to see how this is not the same as the radar defeating devices that are legal in many states.

There was a site a while back selling basically a very HIGH Gloss Spray. Their claim was that if you sprayed this on your tag, It would not be noticed but if a Bright Flash it would be so reflective that it would blind the Camera.

I doubt it really worked but it was a funny idea.

Mythbusters showed that it did not work. Mine would work though based on the inverse square law. The plate would be so bright that no camera's exposure lattitude would be enough for a clear image.

http://www.photoblocker.com/

The spray is interesting , however , I see more and more of these on Arizona roads. Dark plate covers.

http://www.loover.com/

I just watched the cameras "pop" over 30 people in 5 minutes in that same spot . Someone threw a rock or something at the camera . It has a huge crack in it. People are just going along at 45 , I swear some seem to be going even slower.
pop...pop...pop...pop. Non stop.