Fireflyer

A license, 14 months off: what retraining is typical?

Hi all,
I started jumping with a passion right about the time my career and personal life experienced significant change. I accumulated about 80 jumps, was well respected as a "smart" jumper by the vets, and had a great relationship and trust with my DZO when I "left". But, life kept me out of the game for the past year or so. After a promotion, marriage, and new home, I am looking to get back to the sport I love, hopefully this season, but possibly depending on the weather here in the NE and any required training, next season perhaps.

Q?: What is the typical "retraining" required after such a long layoff? Is there a set protocol by the USPA or is it the discretion of your DZO (perhaps a combination of tailored ground training and coached jumps)?. I am really just looking for a heads up as to others experiences after a long layoff, with particular interest in low time jumpers taking time off (experienced jumpers opinions highly appreciated as to their observations too!).

Thanks in advance, and hope to see you all again - up there ;) .

Hi Chris,
After such a long lay off, a refresher course would definitely be in order. If you can, sit in on a 1st J/C, as well as attend safety day next spring if your not going to get in any jumps this year. As well, your going to have to get at least a recurrency jump with an instructor, and maybe a coach jump or two as well to freshen up your madd skills. Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I've not got many more jumps than you ( only 120) and recently returned after a 9 month lay off.
I was basically re drilled on EP's in a harness, given a very thorough DZ brief and then I did a jump from 12k with an instructor who briefed me well before hand on the content of the jump, exercises and procedures etc.
I was initially thinking of doing a refresher but was told it was not necessary

At my DZ if you havent jumped for more than 3 months (regardless of license level) you have to do a first jump course again, and depending on your progression through the course the CI may decide you can skip ahead and shorten the amount of jumps you have to do.

We recently had someone who had their A license as well come back and he had to do 1 SL jump, 1 dummy rip, 1 10 second delay freefall and then redo his ISP. I assume he could also have substituted the SL jumps for a couple AFF jumps but if you're only doing 2 or 3 to get current it may work out cheaper to do the SL.

EDIT: He didn't have to redo his entire ISP, only a few of the jumps to show proficiency.
Between the sadness and the smile, lies the flicker of the fire. You always said this never hurt you, I always said you were a liar.

Low jump numbers and more than a year layoff? Be prepared to sit through a full first jump course and do one jump with an instructor.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Hi Chris,
After such a long lay off, a refresher course would definitely be in order. If you can, sit in on a 1st J/C, as well as attend safety day next spring if your not going to get in any jumps this year. As well, your going to have to get at least a recurrency jump with an instructor, and maybe a coach jump or two as well to freshen up your madd skills. Mark

This is what happened to me when I had a 9-month layoff at about 35 jumps...and no license yet. A coach/reccurency jump and then I was cleared for solo again.

At my DZ if you havent jumped for more than 3 months (regardless of license level) you have to do a first jump course again, and depending on your progression through the course the CI may decide you can skip ahead and shorten the amount of jumps you have to do.

We recently had someone who had their A license as well come back and he had to do 1 SL jump, 1 dummy rip, 1 10 second delay freefall and then redo his ISP.

Regardless of licence level? Is JSC really that much stricter than PASA requirements that they would make any licenced jumper redo a FJC after 3 months off?? Was that A licence jumper away longer than a year?

I was off 6 months after an injury, just got back recently. It may help that our CI, who is also NTSO, knows me well but I just had to do a thorough rebrief. I got cleared for a solo jump with high pull, though some people would have been put out with a coach for their first jump. I know if I'd been off longer than 12 months I would have had to do more, possibly what your guy did. btw from what i understand you can only do that recurrency via AFF jumps if you did AFF in the first place.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

This right from the 2006 SIM. I consider this a minimum.

Long lay-offs

Back to Section 5-2

1. Jumpers should receive refresher training appropriate for their skydiving history and time since their last skydive.

a. Jumpers who were very experienced and current but became inactive for a year or more should undergo thorough training upon returning to the sport.

b. Skydivers who historically jump infrequently should review training after layoffs of even less than a year.

2. Skydiving equipment, techniques, and procedures change frequently.

a. During recurrency training following long periods of inactivity, jumpers may be introduced to new and unfamiliar equipment and techniques.

b. Procedures change to accommodate developments in equipment, aircraft, flying styles, FAA rules, and local drop zone requirements.

3. Returning skydivers require thorough practical training in the following subject areas:

a. aircraft procedures

b. equipment

c. exit and freefall procedures

d. canopy control and landings

e. emergency procedures

Back to Section 5-2

A License
USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within--
1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups
2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised freefall
B License
USPA B-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within the preceding 90 days should make at least one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating the ability to safely exercise the privileges of that license.
C and D License
USPA C- and D-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within the preceding six months should make at least one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating the ability to safely exercise the privileges of that license.

Back to Section 5-2

Basically do the first jump course again (at the retraining fee if the DZ is decent), and start with a metheod specific (staticline or IAD) PRCP or clear and pull under the supervision of an instructor. This all depends on your retraining and the conversations you will have with your instructor.A second jump do with an instructor and practice basic freefall skills (demonstrating pull procedures, instability to stability, turns, loops, barrel rolls, altitude awareness). Both you and your instructor will need to feel confident in your abilities to be safe.

Have fun and welcome back!

Kent

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------JUMP SAFE!

As you can tell by the variety of responses, it's not a simple question. The bottom line is that you should contact the DZ where you plan to jump, and find out what their requirements are.

Best wishes on your return to the air.

Kevin

I can't believe that it took 9 posts for somebody to finally get to the SIM...

The OP should have the SIM or access to it online or a friend with a hardcopy or something. THEN call the DZ to see how closely they follow USPA guidelines. I would advise against a DZ that would short-cut the USPA requirements.

Thanks, kwmontreal, for the SIM reference.
And totally agreed that that is the MINIMUM.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

No, he was off for about 5 months or so. But as I said, in total he had to redo about 5 or so jumps, then carry on from where he left off.

Im new there though so only heard about it through the grapevine.
Between the sadness and the smile, lies the flicker of the fire. You always said this never hurt you, I always said you were a liar.

I can't believe that it took 9 posts for somebody to finally get to the SIM...

The OP should have the SIM or access to it online or a friend with a hardcopy or something. THEN call the DZ to see how closely they follow USPA guidelines. I would advise against a DZ that would short-cut the USPA requirements.

Thanks, kwmontreal, for the SIM reference.
And totally agreed that that is the MINIMUM.

I hear you - my personal review of the SIM and consult of my DZ was a given. My most excellent coaches pounded the basics into me as far as where to turn for questions, and I am not shy. I was just looking for others' experiences that shared a similar situation as myself. Anecdotal dissertation was all I was looking for - no actual instruction. But duly noted; thanks! :)