SpeedRacer

question about McCain as Republican nominee

How did the Republicans wind up with McCain when so many of them didn't want him to be the nominee?

( i realize I'm a month or two late with this question.)

They chose by age....at 95 years old (or what seems like it) Cain was the oldest...most likely wouldnt make it past 2 years of his presidency.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Romney is less charismatic than John Kerry was, and Ron Paul went off his meds.

Romney also had problems because of his religion and that he is so pro-Iraq yet none of his 5 or so sons are serving...and he had a bad image for flip flopping and mud slinging. For the people who know of Paul, most feel he either has no chance or his polices are too radical. Paul was also shunned by the media, but that's already been discussed in other threads.

As far as McCain is concerned I don't think the voters in many states truly understood his position on Iraq. Do a quick Google search on the NH primary and you'll see a lot of people who voted for him were AGAINST the was in Iraq.

Romney is less charismatic than John Kerry was, and Ron Paul went off his meds.

Romney also had problems because of his religion and that he is so pro-Iraq yet none of his 5 or so sons are serving...and he had a bad image for flip flopping and mud slinging. For the people who know of Paul, most feel he either has no chance or his polices are too radical. Paul was also shunned by the media, but that's already been discussed in other threads.

As far as McCain is concerned I don't think the voters in many states truly understood his position on Iraq. Do a quick Google search on the NH primary and you'll see a lot of people who voted for him were AGAINST the was in Iraq.

And are they both for and against torture, like McCain is?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How did the Republicans wind up with McCain when so many of them didn't want him to be the nominee?

In the open primaries, a lot of people crossed the line to vote for him. Also, Gov. Huckabee did a bit of wheeling to graft Gov. Romney out of the picture.

For all the candidates, left and right, the media played a stinking role too...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's just another example of how the primary system of candidate selection fails the voters. There are other methods available that are mathematically more fair, more often.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

My answer, surprisingly, supports my view of how the Republican party got where it is today. The "so many" who didn't want him as the nominee are actually representative of a small minority group. They're loud as hell and demand a lot of attention but they themselves do not represent "mainstream" Republicans. Apparently actual Republicans figured out that letting that minority drive the train ends up in a wreck.
$0.02

So how many of the liberals on this board will man (or woman) up and vote for McCain since they liked him so much and how many will play party politics and vote for numbskull #1 or numbskull #2 on the dem ticket?

Put up or shut up time!! Hilary and Obama don't hold a candle to McCain's experience and service to the country. Add to that, the parts of McCain that many republicans don't like, who else could you vote for???

I guess you could throw away your vote by choosing Paul...
Oh, hello again!

Hilary and Obama don't hold a candle to McCain's experience and service to the country.

What makes you think that "experience" in Washington is a positive attribute? That's a big strike against "Bush Lite" and "PAC Ma'am".
Recent "experienced" and influential leaders in Washington include Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle. And that's the short list. Go the the PNAC or American Enterprise Institute websites for additional "experienced" players.

P.S. Sorry for the rude name calling. Must have picked up that nasty habit in SC;)

As much as I disagree with McCain on many issues, I can't say that he doesn't seem to make every effort to get people to work together to get things done. Knowing how to talk to the senate and other representatives is experience. Having been an instrument of foreign policy is experience.

The fact that he does go against the party line sometimes is, oddly enough, a plus in my book.

Compare that to the other two, and honestly tell me you think they'd do a better job. I seriously doubt either one of them even know where to start with this BS "change" that they think they'd make.
Oh, hello again!

As much as I disagree with McCain on many issues, I can't say that he doesn't seem to make every effort to get people to work together to get things done. Knowing how to talk to the senate and other representatives is experience. Having been an instrument of foreign policy is experience.

The fact that he does go against the party line sometimes is, oddly enough, a plus in my book.

Compare that to the other two, and honestly tell me you think they'd do a better job. I seriously doubt either one of them even know where to start with this BS "change" that they think they'd make.

I agree with what you say about McCain. Those are indeed positives and I'm glad he's the candidate instead of a clone of the tool that we have now.

I like Obama's stance on PAC money, although I'm sure that some gets in. He's voted against raising the debt ceiling, voted for pay as you go legislation numerous times and introduced legislation against the abuse of no bid contracts. Those are also positives.
His canned rhetoric with regard to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is disappointing but then again, he IS an American politician.
But out of the three I think he stands out as having the best chance of mending some broken international ties. That's only a hunch. The other two seem to be examples of "same old song and war" in that dept.

Ideal candidate? No. I'm still waiting for that one, just not holding my breath.

As much as I disagree with McCain on many issues, I can't say that he doesn't seem to make every effort to get people to work together to get things done.

You listed two of my favorite reasons to vote for McCain. Bravo.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Obama also wants to cut funding to NASA :(...

but McCain pledges fund NASA and get a god damned dude on Mars already :)
I think the Mars rover was a huge step in the direction of being able to get the first man on mars. Many say there are huge hurdles to overcome in getting one there, but that was said about the moon decades ago. Space exploration and NASA should be a bigger deal than it is. McCain seems to be the one who recognizes that.

108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

So how many of the liberals on this board will man (or woman) up and vote for McCain since they liked him so much

His opposition to net neutrality is enough for me to vote against him. His position is inconsistent with the spirit, if not the letter, of anti-trust laws, and is a potential threat to freedom of speech and freedom of the press. His probable support of telecom spying immunity also does not sit well with me. The US does not need another President who does not hold the spirit of the Constitution above corporate interests.

I don't like Clinton (too conservative) or Obama (too much rhetoric, not enough substance), but I'm not sure which I dislike more. Since I live in Florida, that doesn't matter. I believe either one would be a superior choice to McCain, but in November I'll be voting in opposition to a candidate, not in support of one.

To be fair, McCain is a better candidate than was Romney or (to a lesser extent) Huckabee. Of course, I also thought he was a better candidate than GW Bush in 2000.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Obama also wants to cut funding to NASA :(...

:(Damn, you think you know someone and then..........
Where the hell was the drive by media on that one?
That does it, I'm going to run. Let's see...what's the platform going to be?
Pay as you go.
Defraud the government, go to jail (after my executive order to free those being held for crimes against themselves)
All the money recouped from the fraud will go to subsidize domestic use of Jet-A as deemed appropriate by the new Body Flight Czar.
Four day work weeks and an AAD in every pot!!!

At least McCain hasn't had to dodge sniper fire in recent years

ROFLMAO hey come on now, she is only human. She makes mistakes. A little artificial drama on the campaign can't hurt anyone can it?

It's funny the media paints this as the most exciting presidential campaign ever. But from where I sit it is one of the most disasterous campaigns with "None of the above" being the only logical choice. Except, "None of the above" is not a choice. In a country of 300+ million people, couldn't you people find someone better than the 3+1 (don't forget Nader) clowns who are still in the running?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

In a country of 300+ million people, couldn't you people find someone better than the 3+1 (don't forget Nader) clowns who are still in the running?

I can't be any more clear. The system's rigged.
100% public financing is the only way I see us breaking the chain.