mamajumps

1967 vs. 2007

And we call ourselves an advanced civilization...

We have definately gone reactionary instead of become responsive.

1. Scenrio: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1967 - Vice principal comes over to look at Jack's shotgun. He goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lock-down, and FB I is called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.. Cunselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

2.Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1967- Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.
2007 - Police called. SWAT team arrives. Johnny and Mark are arrested and charged with assault. Both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

3. Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1967 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with ADD and given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from State because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

4.Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for c hild abuse. Billy is placed in foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist convinces Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

5. Scenario: Mark has a headache and brings some aspirin to school.

1967 - Mark takes aspirin in lunchroom and headache goes away.
2007 - Police called. Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. Car is searched for drugs and weapons.

6. Scenario: Pedro fails English in high school.

1967 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given a diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

7. Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a fire ant hill.

1967 - Ants die.
2007 - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Homeland Security, and FBI called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates parents; siblings are removed from home; computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad goes on Terror Watch List and is never allowed to fly again.

8. Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher who hugs him to comfort him.

1967 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Teacher is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy .

Wonder what the next 40 years will bring!!

Im sure this will end up in SC... but still validates some good points....;)

That's so incredibly sad that it makes 100% valid points. Nothing we can do about it now though. Clearly we learned from that history, and thus it's not ever coming back.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

That's so incredibly sad that it makes 100% valid points. Nothing we can do about it now though. Clearly we learned from that history, and thus it's not ever coming back.

you could always move conturies :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: we dont have the same idiocy that you lot do
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Excellent post... but I don't think that you need to go back to '67..... '77, when I was at school, would have given the same results.

F*ck it's scarey when you think of how things have changed [badly] in such a very short period of time:(

It's time that we reclaimed our civilisations!!! before it's waaay too late.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

100 % true. It's amazing the goofy crap our kids have had to put up with in school, Draconian knee jerk reactions to the smallest incidents. We've raised four fairly good citizens, I think, with the ability to think for themselves. It was an uphill battle with liberal do-gooders in the school system. It almost always wasn't the teachers, but the policy makers up higher.

Excellent post... but I don't think that you need to go back to '67..... '77, when I was at school, would have given the same results.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I read the list. When I read about a kid being expelled for bringing tweezers to school, I just shake my head.

If you plopped todays under 20 year olds into the back country the vast majority would be screwed.

Mind you every generation thinks the "new" generation has gone to pot. Ever since the Roman times. 'Cept this time it's true ;)

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Aren't you the one who wants the government to pass a law regarding how a person can dress ... [:/] Think about it.

if kids dressed like the thugs im referring too in my other post in 1967, they would have been taken out back behind the school and had respect beaten into them...

Aren't you the one who wants the government to pass a law regarding how a person can dress ... [:/] Think about it.

if kids dressed like the thugs im referring too in my other post in 1967, they would have been taken out back behind the school and had respect beaten into them...

Still not seeing the point? What is the difference between 1967 and 2007 in your scenarios ... laws.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Still not seeing the point? What is the difference between 1967 and 2007 in your scenarios ... laws.

I see your point, and I agree that laws aren't always the best ways to handle things, however when parents hands have been tied, what can we do? Kids in 1967 just respected people and themselves ( the vast majority anyway). A good old fashined butt-whoopin was in store for kids who did not act properly and by not being able to that anymore is where things have gone wrong. I will be the first to stand up against child abuse, but there is nothing wrong with disciplining your kids when it is done out of love. Unfortunately, due to other laws, parents can barely verbally reprimand kids now days.

SC in 3....2....1.....:D

Butters, just consider the source walk away and shake your head. Seriously, that's about all you can do. This post is such pure BS it isn't even worth the time to type out a reply. I'm sure she just copied and pasted some email that was forwarded to her and about 100 other people by some co-worker or aquaintance. :S

Draconian knee jerk reactions to the smallest incidents.

Zero tolerance (generally) equals zero intelligence.

In 1967, the Jr-Sr High School dean was a former boxing champ of his navy ship. His solution for fighting was to take you out to the field house and put gloves on you.
One student (a large senior) even challenged one of the coaches to a fight. They did. The coach won.

By 1969, with integration in full swing, there were riots on the school patio during lunch about once a week at every school in the county. Folding chairs thrown, ala professional wrestling, but with real results.

Our police chief announced that he had no tear gas, but he did have riot shotguns with birdshot in them.

Many students carried knives or razor-edged box cutters from their after-school jobs or baseball bats in their vehicles.

PE class, lunch, sports, conversation... everything was racially charged.

thus creating the "poor me, victim of society" attitude....

I think that it is less of a "poor me" mentality and more of a "I deserve" mentality. I think that in contemporary times that more people believe that they deserve to be happy, and therefore someone else must provide that happiness to them.

Also, to stay on topic with the thread. Most of the laws are the result of parents who failed to raise their children properly and then expect that the system will do it for them. I remember watching this 20/20 episode years ago about this woman who had buckled her child into the front seat of the car and then ran off the road. Because the child was too small for the restraint, she was ejected from the vehicle and killed. The woman was then leading the conquest to pass laws that required children to be in the back seat in a suitable safety harness. It was her fault that the child was dead because she was fiddling with the radio instead of watching the road. But, instead of accepting the responsibilty for her actions, she blamed the state because there was not a law that required the child to be secured in the back seat.

I remember that when I was growing up riding anywhere and everywhere in the vehicles. We used to also take family trips in the pick-up truck. All 4 of us kids would ride in the back of the pick-up without any restraints. Had my parents ever gotten into a wreck it would probably killed all of us. But that was the decision that they made. We all ended up ok.

I also grew up shooting guns, hunting and all of the things that go along with that. All of the kids in my neighborhood had BB guns and we would go hunting for rabbits or birds together. It taught us a level of responsibility that the kids no longer get to experience.

And dont get me started on the new ZERO-tolerance policies...

Yea, I think that this is heading to SC.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

This post is such pure BS it isn't even worth the time to type out a reply.

If this post is such BS, it should be real EASY to type out a reply, and informative too! So please, take the time to explain to the ignorant why this post is such "BS".

If nothing else, can you admit that the sentiment of the post has a lot of truth to it?

. . =(_8^(1)