normiss

IF this becomes law...

Who are you to question the authority of the Waffen SS Goverment?

Of course they believe they should be able to confiscate and sell your motorcycle at auction, just because a LEO wants to.

30mph over is a heinous crime, as is any other infraction of the law (not looking right, not american made , american made. expensive looking, etc.)

Don't you realize how much this will benefit the police mankind?

There is alot of money to be made when they are able to keep those annoying motorcycles off the road.

Do not punish the crime, punish the object.

drugs, guns, freedom, motorcycles are a crime against humanity

DO NOT QUESTION AUTHORITAY!

I would also consider it targeted and biased, which I hope would make it unconstitutional.

All laws are targeted and biased. When it comes down to "Unconstitutional" it's whether the targeted group is a "protected class." Motorcyclists are NOT a protected class, like blacks or women.

Thus, all the state has to show is a "racial basis" for making the law.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I would also consider it targeted and biased, which I hope would make it unconstitutional.

All laws are targeted and biased. When it comes down to "Unconstitutional" it's whether the targeted group is a "protected class." Motorcyclists are NOT a protected class, like blacks or women.

Thus, all the state has to show is a "racial basis" for making the law.

I can't state the exact phrase, but it has to do with "reasonable". Kind of like "cruel and unusual" punishment.

We aren't giving them a fine of $20,000 because that would be "unreasonable".

However, when my friend was stopped, and riding without a license, they seized his $23,000 HD bike. Somehow, that is different?

Someday, someone will say, "We were called to a domestic disturbance at your house. A fine of $20, and we are seizing your house because a domestic disturbance occurred at your domicile."

It's just a new way to make money.

I'd be interested if they are doing this to car drivers also. The first time they seized a $80,000 Jag from an attorney for speeding, laws would change.

while I fully understand the INTENT of this little law....and it has been re-worded to state cars in place of motorcycle....it still leaves in place the removal of my motorcycle permit for any offense covered...
and "reckless driving" is one largely subjective charge.

So by making penalties unfair and based on mode of transportation, ABATE is almost counting on it being unconstitutional.

How the fuck is an 18-wheeler now not near as much threat to the roads as a scooter????? And yet we still are not required to maintain insurance OR wear a helmet.:S:S:S:|

Fucking politicians are soooooooo out of touch with reality.>:(:S>:(

>How the fuck is an 18-wheeler now not near as much threat to the roads as a scooter?

Well, to be fair, in many states the laws are as draconian for truck drivers in terms of their licenses. And losing your license to ride a motorcycle might mean a lot less fun; losing a CDL means you lose your job.

I agree, though, that you would need specific data showing that motorcycles are more of a risk than cars before you pass a law treating violations on one more seriously than violations on the other. I was more objecting to the statement that violence against police was understandable when stopped for a violation of _any_ law.

When people are caught riding with a suspended license, they can seize the bike now. A nice little $20,000 fine.

It is the latest "revenue enhancement" scheme.

Yes. And there's an easy to way to avoid paying those revenues, isn't there? There are several ways:
1) Don't get your license suspended.
2) if your license is suspended, don't operate a vehicle unlicensed; or
2(a)) Don't do something stoopid on your motorcycle.

Lawrocket's first commandment toward mitigation of motor vehicle legal risks is, "Thou shalt only break one law at a time."

Let's say you are breaking the law by operating a motorcycle without a license. There is no issue with that - unless you get caught. A caught cannot pull you over to check the status of your license. A cop CAN, however, pull you over for speeding, unsafe lane change, expired tags, etc. Then the cop finds out you are on a suspended license.

So, if you've got a suspended license, obey all traffic laws and nobody will know.

agreed Bill....
Wanna reduce bike fatalities in Florida????
start with requiring insurance. Want to guess what a young person would pay for a crotch rocket insurance policy? I think the last stats I saw had them $3000 - $7000!!!
Ever think what this law may do to new bike sales? Would YOU loan me $20,000 for a new sled knowing it could be stolen from me by the police at their discretion?

Let's say you are breaking the law by operating a motorcycle without a license. There is no issue with that - unless you get caught. A caught cannot pull you over to check the status of your license. A cop CAN, however, pull you over for speeding, unsafe lane change, expired tags, etc. Then the cop finds out you are on a suspended license.

I totally agree that my friend should not have been riding with a suspended license. If you intentionally break the law, you should be prepared for the penalty. I just think that the punishment should relate to the crime.

Seizing a $23,000 vehicle is a $23,000 punishment.

I similarly object to the seizure of cars from men who are caught picking up prostitutes. A prostitute gets a $25 fine, the guy loses a $30,000 car ?

Whether you agree with prostitution or not, it seems a bit unfair and an obvious attempt to grab property.

A cop cannot pull you over to check the status of your license. A cop CAN, however, pull you over for speeding, unsafe lane change, expired tags, etc. Then the cop finds out you are on a suspended license.

Umm... huh? ;) "Unsafe lane change" or "your wheel touched the line eight miles back" or the excuse-du-jour. :S

Police will pull you over if they wish to.
If you are wearing a MC jacket, they will wish to, just to make a point. They will have a "reason" also.

When I had a muscle car, I got pulled over once a month, just to remind me that I was noticed.
No tickets in that entire year. All racing was done legally on private surfaces.

while I fully understand the INTENT of this little law....and it has been re-worded to state cars in place of motorcycle....it still leaves in place the removal of my motorcycle permit for any offense covered...

Two years ago I was leaving the pumps at a gas station and driving toward the exit when a stupid kid tried to pass me on the right to get to the exit before I did, side-swiping my car. F***ing cop gave me a ticket for "reckless driving". Only after I hired a lawyer, did I get to see the cops report. Either he was a liar or an idiot or both because he wrote up this completely bogus report claiming that I had t-boned the kids truck. You only had to look at the damage to see that was not possible.

So in my experience, you don't need to do anything wrong to be charged with reckless driving, depending on the (in)competence of the cop.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I can't state the exact phrase, but it has to do with "reasonable". Kind of like "cruel and unusual" punishment.

I put the wrong word. It is not "racial." :S It is "rational basis." I had a slip when commenting about race in the previous sentence.

I can see a few more bike chases happening if this passes. I'd pull over if the cops pulled me to give me a speeding ticket but with the prospect of them taking my bike for doing 30mph over on an empty open road with no other traffic in site I'd be folding my number plate up (gotta love pivot kits ;)) and getting the hell out of there.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

This appears to be the typical response.
let me see...
100% chance of going to jail AND losing my bike....hmmm....kill lights, hit license plate flip switch, hit gas....
just another reason this law won't work.

Has everyone missed the part where the wording was changed to include cars???? Reckless driving in a car can suddenly cost you your car, time in the pokey, and the removal of motorcycle endorsement for 10 years.
Yes, this makes sense. :S

>100% chance of going to jail AND losing my bike....hmmm....kill lights, hit
>license plate flip switch, hit gas....

. . . thus guaranteeing you go to jail.

Only if he gets caught. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Two years ago I was leaving the pumps at a gas station and driving toward the exit when a stupid kid tried to pass me on the right to get to the exit before I did, side-swiping my car. F***ing cop gave me a ticket for "reckless driving". Only after I hired a lawyer, did I get to see the cops report. Either he was a liar or an idiot or both because he wrote up this completely bogus report claiming that I had t-boned the kids truck. You only had to look at the damage to see that was not possible.

So in my experience, you don't need to do anything wrong to be charged with reckless driving, depending on the (in)competence of the cop.

I carry a digital camera in the car at all times. Being such a good, law abiding driver (:)) I figure it can't do any harm to photograph any damage, the other guy's license plate, the other guy's face, street signs, etc. just in case there is ANY dispute. Only had to use it once so far, but it made it clear to the other party that they couldn't subsequently lie their way out of responsibility.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

precisely my point. :P
I am sure that everyone has a story, and the bottom line is that until becoming a law enforcement officer involves at least a four year university degree and some background and psychological screening, people must be more active in the political process to stop stupidity before it starts.
The legal community can no longer be trusted.

I carry a digital camera in the car at all times. Being such a good, law abiding driver (:)) I figure it can't do any harm to photograph any damage, the other guy's license plate, the other guy's face, street signs, etc. just in case there is ANY dispute. Only had to use it once so far, but it made it clear to the other party that they couldn't subsequently lie their way out of responsibility.

Funny you should mention that. After a close call an idiot woman who jumped in front of me on a bike path, causing me to barely avoid hitting her, it occurred to me that if I had hit her, I would have automatically been blamed. My solution:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=6&scid=14&pid=709

It's dirt cheap; Comes with handlebar mounts and a helmet mount; Has 2 framerate settings: 15/30 fps. Has 3 resolution settings: 640x480, 320x240, 160x120; Uses a pair of ordinary rechargeable AA batteries. Uses a standard 2G flash card. At 15 fps & 320x240, I can record 3.5 hours.

And the helmet mount works nicely to attach it to the underside of my Jeeps rollbar, pointing out the windshield.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have no issue with the law other than it should be acrosss the board.
30mph or more over the limit and forfeit your veer-hich-ile

We have a law called the "Hoon" law, more than 45kph and you can lose you ride (car/bike/skateboard) for 3 months
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?