BillyVance

Why should you learn English if you immigrate to the US?

I can give you at least one reason...
:D:D:D

Translate please :D
Seriously, what kind of cream is it?

It's for hemmorhoids (spelling?). Those flappy very itchy outgrowths hanging from your anus. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

English ( at least, our 'version' of the language) is the primary language in the U.S.A. and I'm not even going to try, to learn 15,000 other languages just to be 'politically correct'. If, I were to move to another country (other than Texas), I would do my best to learn their language. Speaking of politically correct... whoever came-up with that dumb-assed idea, needs it shoved where the sun don't shine!!! So there!

Chuck

Hear Hear. If you're going to live in this country, learn the language. I'm tired of hearing press 2 for spanish. This is America damn it. Speak AMERICAN or go back where you came from. (American is our version of the Queens English.)

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Hear Hear. If you're going to live in this country, learn the language. I'm tired of hearing press 2 for spanish. This is America damn it. Speak AMERICAN or go back where you came from. (American is our version of the Queens English.)

Funny how that silly argument comes up so often. I wonder why you aren't speaking Cherokee or Iroquois.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Based on my perceptions of Alabama et al, I'd say the main reason immigrants need to learn english is:

They'll have a hard enough time understanding the yokels and hillbillies from said states, anyways. ;)

.jim

"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Amen!!!

Chuck

Funny how that silly argument comes up so often. I wonder why you aren't speaking Cherokee or Iroquois.

Funny how that silly argument comes-up so often in regard to Native Americans!!! I'll bet they get a bit tired of hearing it.

Chuck

I may be mistaken, but I believe that there is no such thing as an official language in the US. Neither is there an official religion, race, etc... Funny country that way.
I would therefore recommend you press 1, and not wait for the other options. That should take care of that energy problem of yours:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

[:first i laive in az so i get the worste of it second they neeed to learn english so they can read the signs on the street like the ones that say STOP in english or theyll run right thru them and kill someone.>:(

:D:D:D

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

With that "learn English" statement, I would add a few caveats.

1. When US citizens travel abroad, they should make an effort to learn the language for the countries that they might be visiting.

2. When someone who is not US born lives here and TRIES to learn English, that attempt should not be ridiculed or mocked because of their vocabulary.

Both situations I've seen far too often [:/]

I may be mistaken, but I believe that there is no such thing as an official language in the US. Neither is there an official religion, race, etc... Funny country that way.

There is no "national language" here because there is no nationality. There is no "American", other than Native American...everyone else is just a U.S. citizen. Apparently, as far as most of the world is concerned...the U.S. is a nation of immigrants, with descendants having no specific nationality.

I seriously doubt there is such a thing as a "nationality" anymore, very few purebred anythings out there, these days.
"T'was ever thus."

Funny how that silly argument comes-up so often in regard to Native Americans!!! I'll bet they get a bit tired of hearing it.

Chuck

Sadly enough, few indigenous kids are learning their languages. Some rez' have language-based studies, but they're rare.
But I can think of a few words that it's always hilarious to hear folks try to pronounce.:D

With that "learn English" statement, I would add a few caveats.

2. When someone who is not US born lives here and TRIES to learn English, that attempt should not be ridiculed or mocked because of their vocabulary.

Both situations I've seen far too often [:/]

So now y'all stop mocking my English! When I came here I simply spoke English. Now at this particular moment in time I speaks it real good.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Chuck

Sadly enough, few indigenous kids are learning their languages. Some rez' have language-based studies, but they're rare.
But I can think of a few words that it's always hilarious to hear folks try to pronounce.:D

It is sad. I think, it's good that people know their native tongue especially our native peoples but, I don't see any of them refusing to learn our language. Then too, we have them neatly tucked-away on the 'rez' and never give them a second thought. Not until the topic of illegal immigration comes-up.

Chuck

Actually one of my best friends is a linguist who has made great efforts to try to keep the Hocak language alive in Wisconsin. She worked with the tribe for several years building a language program. And the Lakota language is far from dead - at least in the Black Hills.

Am I the only one that finds it really funny that the OP posts a thread about how immigrants should learn English. Then in his second post he doesn't know how to spell an english word?

Some words are just tricky. I even added the parentheses because I wasn't sure and I didn't want to just get up and go get the dictionary.

We mispell a word every now and then. What gets me is how immigrants fuck up the grammar of the English language. Granted, that's the hardest part for them to learn.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban