rushmc

Who'da thunk? Guns best crime deterrent after all

I believe a foreign power, neither from Mars or Mexico, sacked Washington DC and burned the White House successfully in August 1814.

That was then. This is now. ;)

That VAST military overspending you're fond of mentioning does have an actual benefit or two.

Correct - the vast military overspending, NOT Joe Sixpack and his handgun. The 2nd Amendment already existed in 1814.

You're contradicting yourself, Professor - aren't you one that drones on and on about how Achmed and his AK have us "in a quagmire" in Iraq? Sorry, you can't have it both ways.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Probably not too much different then what is going on in Iraq with their militias.

Yea, except we've got ten times the people, ten times the land, and ten times the guns and technology. Other than that, not much different. :S

You've actually made FreeflyChile's point. Think we're having trouble with Iraq's militias? Name an occupying army that would not have ten times the problems here in the US.

. . =(_8^(1)

I believe a foreign power, neither from Mars or Mexico, sacked Washington DC and burned the White House successfully in August 1814.

That VAST military overspending you're fond of mentioning does have an actual benefit or two.

Correct - the vast military overspending, NOT Joe Sixpack and his handgun. The 2nd Amendment already existed in 1814.

Well, to sack Wash DC, you have to first GET to Wash DC. That's where the overspending comes in. :PB|

. . =(_8^(1)

You're contradicting yourself, Professor - aren't you one that drones on and on about how Achmed and his AK have us "in a quagmire" in Iraq? Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

But did they stop us? Are we still there?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nice to hear you're more concerned for justifying armed civilians rather than the reason for their need to feel it necessary to arm themselves. Another great post. Well done.

the reason for their need to feel it necessary to arm themselves.. ???

YGBSM! Who cares what their reason is? It's their right. I too, wish the world was a better place - full of nice people exchanging warm fuzzies, but unfortunately there's always gonna be some scumbag who thinks his crack habit or sexual desires are worth more than my life or that of my wife and kids. What should I do? Negotiate with them? Ask how they are feeling? No thanks, I'll keep my CCP, my 40, my membership at the range, and a wonderful talent to put three slugs center of mass at 20 yards.

I'd imagine any power capable of successfully invading the US is not going to be deterred by Joe Public and his popgun.

You've no idea how extensive Joe's popgun collection is - and if we ever have to use it, I hope you'll be standing behind us rather than in front.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

Why do you think that the "need" has to be justified? Should there be a "need" to justify freedom of speech, or religion?

You keep bringing up this point, but still haven't provided any argument past "guns are bad, m'kay?"

I like the way Ted Nugent puts it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo

"Lets imagine there wasn't a second ammendment..."

Good luck telling people in this country they don't have the right to defend themselves. Lots of flyover country to de-arm.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms .... disarm only
those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
Such laws make things worse for the assaulted
and better for the assailants. They serve rather to encourage
than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be
attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'd imagine any power capable of successfully invading the US is not going to be deterred by Joe Public and his popgun.

Really? You'd be wrong.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
(Japanese Navy)

Note the word capable. The Japanese had no capability and no intention of invading the mainland US, so Yamamoto's point is moot.

Really? You'd be wrong.

(Japanese Navy)

Note the word capable. The Japanese had no capability and no intention of invading the mainland US, so Yamamoto's point is moot.

Is there any military in the world with that capability?

You've no idea how extensive Joe's popgun collection is - and if we ever have to use it, I hope you'll be standing behind us rather than in front.

Well, if that ever happens I'll probably be on the other side of the Atlantic, so whether I'm in front or behind might be somewhat academic. Incidentally, are Joe's popguns capable of shooting down jet aircraft or penetrating tank armour?

Really? You'd be wrong.

(Japanese Navy)

Then you should have said that in your initial post and not tried to make your point look better in retrospect by changing it.

Japan certainly had the capability to invade the US - amply demonstrated by their invasion of China. The fact that Yamamoto's quote even exists proves that they had the intention, as well.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, if that ever happens I'll probably be on the other side of the Atlantic, so whether I'm in front or behind might be somewhat academic. Incidentally, are Joe's popguns capable of shooting down jet aircraft or penetrating tank armour?

Neither plane nor tank can stay 'buttoned up' forever. They're also not very useful without support crew to refuel/rearm them.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Chances are if we get invaded, so will GB, so you might think about arming/training yourself and standing up to the fight. Your country has a proud heritage of doing so. Or, you could go join the French, I suppose.
The forecast is mostly sunny with occasional beer.

A serious question about the 'Guns against tyrannical government' argument - had the protestors at Kent State been armed, would they have been entitled to return fire on the National Guard?

Entitlement is a matter that depends on the point of view. The US Government would say no. OTOH, we say that the Patriots at Lexington were fully entitled to fire on the Redcoats.

Entitlement is a matter that depends on the point of view. The US Government would say no. OTOH, we say that the Patriots at Lexington were fully entitled to fire on the Redcoats.

The Patriots beat the Redskins 52-7 last October, so the Redskins were probably too embarassed to complain.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Really? You'd be wrong.

(Japanese Navy)

Then you should have said that in your initial post and not tried to make your point look better in retrospect by changing it.How could I have been clearer? The word 'capable' appears perfectly plainly in my original post. And the point remains that Japan was not capable of a mainland invasion. The point on intention is secondary.

Japan certainly had the capability to invade the US - amply demonstrated by their invasion of China.

I'd say a Japanese land invasion of a close continental neighbour doesn't prove much about an opposed amphibious invasion across thousands of miles of ocean. It took Britain and her allies four years to put Overlord together, and that was only across a short stretch of the English Channel.

The fact that Yamamoto's quote even exists proves that they had the intention, as well.

Afraid I don't see how that follows.

How could I have been clearer? The word 'capable' appears perfectly plainly in my original post. And the point remains that Japan was not capable of a mainland invasion. The point on intention is secondary.

Japan invaded China, expelled Mac from the Phillipeanes, lobbed shells off Seal Beach (south of LA), and of course blew the shit out of Pearl. If Japan isn't "capable," then no one is.

And that was the point. No one can invade the US. No one would even think of it, aside from the writers of Red Dawn. (and that of course turned out crappy for the Russians)