Saudi Arabia?

This is our business "friend" Saudi Arabia! Why do we let this go on with out any reactions or sanctions?

"A 37-year-old American businesswoman and married mother of three is seeking justice after she was thrown in jail by Saudi Arabia's religious police for sitting with a male colleague at a Starbucks coffee shop in Riyadh"

"Yara was visited yesterday by officials from the American Embassy, who promised they would file a report. An embassy official told The Times that it was being treated as “an internal Saudi matter” and refused to comment on her case."

"— In 2007 the victim of a gang rape was sentenced to 200 lashes and six years in jail for having been in an unrelated man’s car at the time. She was pardoned by King Abdullah, although he maintained the sentence had been fair"

More
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article3321637.ece

>Why do we let this go on with out any reactions or sanctions?

Because they are our bestest friends. They sell us oil, and . . . well . . . they sell us oil. Doesn't really matter what else they do. Heck, most of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia.

Of course, if they continue with these sort of blatant human rights violations, we may have to take more serious action and invade Syria.

I live over here in Bahrain, a scant few miles from Saudi Arabia. Those bastards are as despised here in the Middle East as they are in the US. Like any people, they have their good and bad, but the general consensus over here is quite negative with regards to them. Its odd to hear someone speak about them without an obscene adjective thrown in front of the word 'Saudi'.

I don't know ANYBODY who has worked over there - and I know quite a few - that has anything good to say about the Saudis in general.

They're not alone in their legal atrocities. A bit ago a French boy was raped by two worthless bastards in UAE. The authorities charged the victim with homosexuality. I believe the Iranian shitheads are about to stone a guy to death for drinking alcohol.

Sharia law and the idiots enforcing it have no place in modern society.

:S

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I happen to think Sharia law is funny...but I have a different perspectve serving in Iraq.

Would you expand on the correlation & the observations?
I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Because they are our bestest friends. They sell us oil, and . . . well . . . they sell us oil. Doesn't really matter what else they do. Heck, most of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia.

Of course, if they continue with these sort of blatant human rights violations, we may have to take more serious action and invade Syria.

Ain't that the truth! If I recall correctly, the Suadis, like the Egyptians, seized the wells, refineries, etc. from the American and British oil companies, in the first place. All that sand....:)
"T'was ever thus."

All that sand........make a damned nice landfill!

Not really...that shit's like talcum powder.

The individual Saudis that I met were likeable and pleasant enough. The times we had to visit Riyadh, however, were a bit more tense.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

If I recall correctly, the Suadis, like the Egyptians, seized the wells, refineries, etc. from the American and British oil companies, in the first place.

I don't think you do recall correctly.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Seriously, I agree with the OP....what the hell is the deal!? We're lettin' the Arab nations and OPEC push us around, dictate our policies (practically) and mess with the entire world's economy. We really don't need 'em and if we really wanted to, we could bankrupt 'em.....then blow 'em up, if they still wanna' be ignorant.
"T'was ever thus."

I don't agree with the laws but they are the laws of the land. If I go to someone elses country I have to abide by their laws. Why should the American woman be any different?
As for why we 'tolerate' those laws its none of our business. if the Norway, USA UK governments (et al) gave a fuck about people rather than profits then maybe they would take their business elsewhere but the truth of the matter is they don't money comes first. People way way way way down on the list if they are on it at all.
Lifes a bitch, shit sandwich anyone?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

They also spend billions of that oil money on weapons systems and asorted defence contracts.

As you buy Oil from us; we buy weapon systems from the west ( US & UK)

I am a Saudi
and not very happy with these things called freedom rights,
but I will surely tell you all that Saudi is one of the best places to live in if you have respect for the Riligon and culture, our traditions are pretty hard to understand

where is saudi?
A: Europ
B: Asia
C: Africa

this question was asked in a study to 2300 Americans,
no offend guys, but only 14% said Asia

you have to read before you judge

;)

I am a Saudi

Hi, what do you mean by the above quote? Do you mean that you are not happy with the idea of freedom or that you don't feel that there are enough rights? Also what do you mean by freedom rights? What would you class as a freedom right? I'm glad you have posted here and am looking forward to hearing more from you.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Well, if it's against Saudi Arabian law, then what can we do about it?

Remember the "outrage" over whats-his-name getting caned in Singapore?

Granted, her ignorance of the situation would bear into this a little bit...I hope. However, how she could travel (or would) to a country without getting any update about basic customs, etc (especially in the middle east) is on her.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I am a Saudi

Hi, what do you mean by the above quote? Do you mean that you are not happy with the idea of freedom or that you don't feel that there are enough rights? Also what do you mean by freedom rights? What would you class as a freedom right? I'm glad you have posted here and am looking forward to hearing more from you.

Hi,
I am a freedom lover, so the freeden is not well supported here in Saudi,
some unskilled workers are treated like animals and some Saudis (big number actually) don't have jobs,

we cant critic anything in the government, and there is a huge control from the government on anything new,
we don't have women driving,
there is no gun shops
there is no DZ's
There is not cinema theaters !
:(

and the list goes on

here where i meant freedom,
also as a western educated Saudi, I can feel the pain of you guys when you know that Saudi Arabia is a country that prohibits alcohol, so don't come here if you think its going to be fun except if you stay dry for some time